81TTN

Projects undertaken by redlineAU members to improve various aspects of their cars.
wrx
Self appointed rAU God
Drives: the bus to hell

81TTN

Post by wrx » Fri 18 Dec, 2009 9:53 am

Since everyone seems to be starting project threads, I thought that I would have a go :D

For those few people on here that don’t know the history of 81TTN here is a whirlwind tour.

She started life out when I took my MY02 WRX over to City Subaru as a dick head 24 year old thinking that I would take one of these new DCCD cars out and confirm my thoughts that there was no way an STi was worth 20k more than a standard car. Well I am still not really sure what happened, but after the 30 minute test drive I walked away owning the 2nd DCCD STi to be sold in QLD. Since they only had a blue one in stock ( the demo car) and they were so new, I had to wait a week for a white one to be on shore. And that was that; I put my blue bug eye on the market and a week later I was the owner of an MY05 STi :)

From here there was not a lot of action, apart from an exhaust was bolted on that afternoon (axle back) and then at 5000km the full system was applied and also some king super lows were chucked under her.

Back then it was a daily driver, but most of the KMs came from driving it back to my mum and dad’s in NSW.

Image Image
Image Image

THEN …. There was the irrational life choice of moving to London. So 81TTN was up for sale and I really wanted her to go to a good home. Queue Cam coming along. Cam picked the car up with under 15k on the clock and the batten was officially past on.

During my 4 years in London, the car took on some well worked mods, including a complete new MRT exhaust, an ECUTek stage 3 custom tune, and a set of Tien Mono’s.

Then at the end of 2008, life pointed me back to Australia, so obviously, I was straight on the interwebz and hammered Cam to the point were he rolled over and sold the car back to me :P

Image Image
Image Image

From here the story went down hill for her as a road car :)

81TTN was retired from full time road duty and became a 90% dedicated track car. After the first time out at QR I found that the rubber and brakes were just not up to the task of being pushed. So Project Mu gear was strapped on, including SCR Pro 2 piece front discs and HC+ carbon pads front and rear. (soon to be running H16's) To help with the pedal feel, I bolted in the MRT Master Brake Cylinder Support.

Image Image

Then there was the raping of ebay and rexnet which ended in some extra rims and a shed full of rubber followed.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

With the car not really daily driven, there was a lot of work done on the suspension settings by Fulcrum, including a tarmac and a dirt setting, along with roll centre adjustment race bushes, camber pins, complete front and rear subframe polyurethane race bushes, centre and rear dif polyurethane race bushes, and then for good measure, any of the left over bushes were also changed in the rear. :D

From here, there was nothing but racing, the car ran like a dream and needed nothing by servicing and some minor tweaks until after about 100 laps at the dirt track in a single day the fuel pump managed to shit itself all over the place. So the Walbro was replaced and an in-tank anti surge tank was fitted while I had it open.

There was some more racing with no problems until finally the standard clutch decided to go on a holiday – mid event which was a bit shit but I still managed to limp it home for a 3rd outright at the Qld Challenge. So it was back to Nick to have a custom made Jim Berry 5 plate 3300 lb centre sprung button clutch fitted.

Then on her second lap on dirt with the new clutch she blew a radiator hose completely apart, so that was a short day which again resulted in her making the trip home on a trailer :( But back to Nick’s to have all the hoses replaces with silicon ones (13 in total) and also to fit a 72deg thermostat to try and keep the heat down.

From here it was a matter of bringing her home to the end of the racing series. Which was done resulting in a first out right driver in Interclub Challenge, first in street class at Time Attack all in a fairly standard car not putting down massive power :)

With the season over and having done over 25 events (including, Tarmac Sprints, Dirt sprints, Dirt Autocross, Motorkhana, khanacross, Navigational, Touring Road, and Hill climbs) in the year, it was time to get serious on safety, as when it comes to racing, it is not a matter of if, only when ……

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

So at the same time knowing that my car does not have a lot a power, I thought that she could go on a bit of a diet; because Subaru’s are renowned for being fat bitches :) - Queue all the comments from Evo Divers :) So she has a complete internal strip out. All that is left to do is the sound deadening, and that will come out after Christmas. At the moment the OMP seats are being installed and the cage will be in soon too.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

She has also had a new titanium exhaust installed on her to try to make her a little quieter as I can not run at lakeside at the moment because I am way over the allowed limit. As a by-product of being titanium, it is about 3-5kg where as the SS one is about 25-30 :D

As is stands not I have pulled about 80+kg out of her, but I am about to bolt back in a cage that is about 35 to 40. I have no plans to take out the dash or the AC as I still drive it to and from the track (and half the time on dirt I drive with the AC on anyway :) )

For those that know the tracks around SE Qld here are the times that the car pulled in full street trim (including spare) so they are sure to tumble next year (i hope :) )

Mount Cotton Hill Climb: 47.39
QR (Sprint): 59.1
QR (Clubman): 61.7
QR (National): 1:25.1
Dirt Track: 1:34.6

So this is the story so far, but as the build keeps going I am sure that there will be updates.

Steve
ImageImageImageImage

Circuit PB's: | Sprint = 52.9 | Clubman = 56.0 | National = 1:15.3| Sportsman = 53.7| Lakeside = 54.8

Evan
Nice WRX Fuckhead
Drives: audi. what a c##t!

Post by Evan » Fri 18 Dec, 2009 10:12 am

i hate you
aka gti-R

wrx
Self appointed rAU God

Post by wrx » Fri 18 Dec, 2009 10:39 am

Evan wrote:i hate you

Wuv you too Eb-arn :)
ImageImageImageImage

Circuit PB's: | Sprint = 52.9 | Clubman = 56.0 | National = 1:15.3| Sportsman = 53.7| Lakeside = 54.8

iano
glass always half empty
Drives: by my own accord

Post by iano » Fri 18 Dec, 2009 10:50 am

So I take it this things not for sale anymore?

wrx
Self appointed rAU God

Post by wrx » Fri 18 Dec, 2009 11:09 am

Yeah it is ... cars are always for sale. the intended market has just changed a little :D
ImageImageImageImage

gtirboy
1000RPM
Drives: MY00 Subaru Outback

Post by gtirboy » Fri 18 Dec, 2009 12:03 pm

Good work Steve, been watching your updates on FB, looking really good so far.
Todd

German
plays the skin flute
Drives: Ms Piggy.. Dans GF

Post by German » Sat 19 Dec, 2009 7:26 am

Nice story would read again... Haha

can't wait to see her finished.

dan0
Warming up

Post by dan0 » Sat 19 Dec, 2009 10:46 am

nice work dude. man you have a good reason for not being able to take it to nathans wedding today. haha... cars kinda in pieces! :-)

Be cool to see how much your times change with the strip out.

Is the role cage just for protection or is that a requirement?
Ford Courier XLT 4WD
(formerly rsdan)

wrx
Self appointed rAU God

Post by wrx » Sat 19 Dec, 2009 12:49 pm

yeah... i am a bit pissed off about it. Feel really slack that i stood him up. But i subbed in a mate in a V5 2 door STi so i hope it works out ok.

The cage is in mainly as a safety thing, but there is one event at the start of next year called willowbank tarmac challenge, and that is a fully pace noted event and it is compulsory to have a CAMS certified cage for it. But at this stage i dont have a nav, so it might be 2011 before i can run it.
ImageImageImageImage

wrx
Self appointed rAU God

Post by wrx » Fri 25 Dec, 2009 4:34 pm

OK, a little bit of a Christmas update.

Mick picked the car up for me on Wednesday while i was in Sydney so i had my first look at it yesterday and i have to be honest, i am happy with what i see. Nick has done an awesome job to the point i think they look factory, if not better than factory!!!

ImageImage
ImageImage

Now the exhaust is also on, but i have not been able to take it out yet as there are major issues with the DCCD and it is effectively phooked, but i will work on it over the next few weeks while putting the cage in. But this is what the rice boy thing looks like :)

ImageImageImageImage

Ted
1000RPM

Post by Ted » Fri 25 Dec, 2009 8:00 pm

Nice seats! OK, you win, I'll drive it!!! :)
Motorsport is a disease, where the only cure is poverty.

wrx
Self appointed rAU God

Post by wrx » Fri 25 Dec, 2009 8:36 pm

No problems Ted, once she is finished the keys are yours when ever you want it :)

BUT..... i took her for a belt on the freeway before and she is still LOUD up to a 110km/h ... so i can only imagine that at full noise 5th gear at QR she is not going to be good at all :( Hope that i can run at lakeside!
ImageImageImageImage

dorift
I love lamp
Drives: Toyota Hilux Diablo

Post by dorift » Fri 25 Dec, 2009 9:30 pm

Nice story, needs more pics.
89 Corolla SX
90 Pulsar GTiR
95 Barina GSi
98 200sx
04 Forester XT
99 Hilux ute (woohoo!)

Ted
1000RPM

Post by Ted » Sat 26 Dec, 2009 9:37 am

Umm Steve, in case you haven't noticed, you're lacking carpet, headlining, sound deadening, rear seats, luxo front seats and normal folk sense. That process should have shown you how many holes there are in the bottom of the boot, and into the cabin without rear seats. You've also added some ricey looking tailpipe. Even if you had a stock exhaust on it, it will sound loud!!

Anyway, I don't think we will need the top of 5th on the Willowbank Challenge thingy, or I am just too used to the Charade where top of 3rd is rare!!
Motorsport is a disease, where the only cure is poverty.

wrx
Self appointed rAU God

Post by wrx » Sat 26 Dec, 2009 8:55 pm

Yeah i know that ted :)

But the dB meter still reads well over the 95 that i was aiming for :(
ImageImageImageImage

10sti
Warming up

Post by 10sti » Thu 07 Jan, 2010 6:44 am

Top post Steve :)

All the motivation I need to get out and run a few more events this year. That photo of your tyre stash made my sphincter puccer a bit $$$$$$$

wrx
Self appointed rAU God

Post by wrx » Thu 07 Jan, 2010 9:09 pm

Seats are in. Cage is in.

Off to get it ADRed tomorrow.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Now i can concentrate on the busted DCCD.
ImageImageImageImage

wrx
Self appointed rAU God

Post by wrx » Fri 08 Jan, 2010 3:26 pm

ADR went through at lunch :)

Happy Days!
ImageImageImageImage

wrx
Self appointed rAU God

Post by wrx » Thu 14 Jan, 2010 9:20 am

Picked up my oil cooler last night :)
ImageImageImageImage

iano
glass always half empty
Drives: by my own accord

Post by iano » Thu 14 Jan, 2010 10:05 am

Saw pics on the book how you removed the sound deadening with dry ice. Neato :)