Since everyone seems to be starting project threads, I thought that I would have a go
For those few people on here that don’t know the history of 81TTN here is a whirlwind tour.
She started life out when I took my MY02 WRX over to City Subaru as a dick head 24 year old thinking that I would take one of these new DCCD cars out and confirm my thoughts that there was no way an STi was worth 20k more than a standard car. Well I am still not really sure what happened, but after the 30 minute test drive I walked away owning the 2nd DCCD STi to be sold in QLD. Since they only had a blue one in stock ( the demo car) and they were so new, I had to wait a week for a white one to be on shore. And that was that; I put my blue bug eye on the market and a week later I was the owner of an MY05 STi
From here there was not a lot of action, apart from an exhaust was bolted on that afternoon (axle back) and then at 5000km the full system was applied and also some king super lows were chucked under her.
Back then it was a daily driver, but most of the KMs came from driving it back to my mum and dad’s in NSW.
THEN …. There was the irrational life choice of moving to London. So 81TTN was up for sale and I really wanted her to go to a good home. Queue Cam coming along. Cam picked the car up with under 15k on the clock and the batten was officially past on.
During my 4 years in London, the car took on some well worked mods, including a complete new MRT exhaust, an ECUTek stage 3 custom tune, and a set of Tien Mono’s.
Then at the end of 2008, life pointed me back to Australia, so obviously, I was straight on the interwebz and hammered Cam to the point were he rolled over and sold the car back to me
From here the story went down hill for her as a road car
81TTN was retired from full time road duty and became a 90% dedicated track car. After the first time out at QR I found that the rubber and brakes were just not up to the task of being pushed. So Project Mu gear was strapped on, including SCR Pro 2 piece front discs and HC+ carbon pads front and rear. (soon to be running H16's) To help with the pedal feel, I bolted in the MRT Master Brake Cylinder Support.
Then there was the raping of ebay and rexnet which ended in some extra rims and a shed full of rubber followed.
With the car not really daily driven, there was a lot of work done on the suspension settings by Fulcrum, including a tarmac and a dirt setting, along with roll centre adjustment race bushes, camber pins, complete front and rear subframe polyurethane race bushes, centre and rear dif polyurethane race bushes, and then for good measure, any of the left over bushes were also changed in the rear.
From here, there was nothing but racing, the car ran like a dream and needed nothing by servicing and some minor tweaks until after about 100 laps at the dirt track in a single day the fuel pump managed to shit itself all over the place. So the Walbro was replaced and an in-tank anti surge tank was fitted while I had it open.
There was some more racing with no problems until finally the standard clutch decided to go on a holiday – mid event which was a bit shit but I still managed to limp it home for a 3rd outright at the Qld Challenge. So it was back to Nick to have a custom made Jim Berry 5 plate 3300 lb centre sprung button clutch fitted.
Then on her second lap on dirt with the new clutch she blew a radiator hose completely apart, so that was a short day which again resulted in her making the trip home on a trailer
But back to Nick’s to have all the hoses replaces with silicon ones (13 in total) and also to fit a 72deg thermostat to try and keep the heat down.
From here it was a matter of bringing her home to the end of the racing series. Which was done resulting in a first out right driver in Interclub Challenge, first in street class at Time Attack all in a fairly standard car not putting down massive power
With the season over and having done over 25 events (including, Tarmac Sprints, Dirt sprints, Dirt Autocross, Motorkhana, khanacross, Navigational, Touring Road, and Hill climbs) in the year, it was time to get serious on safety, as when it comes to racing, it is not a matter of if, only when ……
So at the same time knowing that my car does not have a lot a power, I thought that she could go on a bit of a diet; because Subaru’s are renowned for being fat bitches
- Queue all the comments from Evo Divers
So she has a complete internal strip out. All that is left to do is the sound deadening, and that will come out after Christmas. At the moment the OMP seats are being installed and the cage will be in soon too.
She has also had a new titanium exhaust installed on her to try to make her a little quieter as I can not run at lakeside at the moment because I am way over the allowed limit. As a by-product of being titanium, it is about 3-5kg where as the SS one is about 25-30
As is stands not I have pulled about 80+kg out of her, but I am about to bolt back in a cage that is about 35 to 40. I have no plans to take out the dash or the AC as I still drive it to and from the track (and half the time on dirt I drive with the AC on anyway
For those that know the tracks around SE Qld here are the times that the car pulled in full street trim (including spare) so they are sure to tumble next year (i hope
Mount Cotton Hill Climb: 47.39
QR (Sprint): 59.1
QR (Clubman): 61.7
QR (National): 1:25.1
Dirt Track: 1:34.6
So this is the story so far, but as the build keeps going I am sure that there will be updates.