81TTN

Projects undertaken by redlineAU members to improve various aspects of their cars.
wrx
Self appointed rAU God
Drives: the bus to hell

Post by wrx » Thu 14 Jan, 2010 12:44 pm

Oh yeah, forgot about that :)

Removing the sound deadening from the car was actually fun. I had these nightmares that it was going to be a complete hell job to get done but dry ice made the entire job a piece of cake.

First you start by spreading the dry ice around on all the deadening. Then cover it all to stop it evaporating to fast.

ImageImage

Once it has sat for about 20 minutes you just persuade it a little with a hammer :) and start lifting it off.

ImageImage

Some parts shattered, but others come off in one piece :D

ImageImage
ImageImage

Then with a wipe of degreaser it is all nice and shiny :)

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Circuit PB's: | Sprint = 52.9 | Clubman = 56.0 | National = 1:15.3| Sportsman = 53.7| Lakeside = 54.8

tipper
male housemaid

Post by tipper » Thu 14 Jan, 2010 3:16 pm

thats clever

dorift
I love lamp
Drives: Toyota Hilux Diablo

Post by dorift » Fri 15 Jan, 2010 7:11 am

Can I just ask, why not buy a rally reg sti to prepare for track use, rather than molesting a perfectly good road reg car?
89 Corolla SX
90 Pulsar GTiR
95 Barina GSi
98 200sx
04 Forester XT
99 Hilux ute (woohoo!)

iano
glass always half empty
Drives: by my own accord

Post by iano » Fri 15 Jan, 2010 7:42 am

Prob cheaper and less hassle just to convert what he's already got maybe? :|

A lot of works gone into this thing by looks.

wrx
Self appointed rAU God

Post by wrx » Fri 15 Jan, 2010 7:48 am

dorift wrote:Can I just ask, why not buy a rally reg sti to prepare for track use, rather than molesting a perfectly good road reg car?

There is no reason apart from I wanted to, so I did.

I also think that we have a different interpretation of molesting, as it is still a perfectly good road registered car.
ImageImageImageImage

Circuit PB's: | Sprint = 52.9 | Clubman = 56.0 | National = 1:15.3| Sportsman = 53.7| Lakeside = 54.8

cGr
Intuition

Post by cGr » Fri 15 Jan, 2010 8:28 am

wrx wrote:I also think that we have a different interpretation of molesting, as it is only 2db louder inside the car now compared to outside.

Fixed :P

If it's a car which you're going to hold on to for a long time/forever (which Steve is planning), then I understand it.

dorift
I love lamp
Drives: Toyota Hilux Diablo

Post by dorift » Fri 15 Jan, 2010 11:26 am

Molesting is prob the wrong word.
I wasn't suggesting it's not drivable on the road, just thought that since u essentially aren't going to drive it on the road, then why not use a rally reg car as ur starting point.
I'm not criticizing u, it's just not something I'd do to a nice new aus delivered vehicle.
89 Corolla SX
90 Pulsar GTiR
95 Barina GSi
98 200sx
04 Forester XT
99 Hilux ute (woohoo!)

wrx
Self appointed rAU God

Post by wrx » Fri 15 Jan, 2010 11:48 am

I understand, and i am not taking it personally or anything.

S reg cars are just a pain in the arse. Admittedly no one actually drives them under the regulations, but still i think that they are a hassle that i just dont want.

I looked long and hard at getting rid of it and doing the conversion to something like an import road reg evo 6. But ran into the issue of not even being able to give the car away. So since i could not move it i just pulled the pin and started the project on it.

If that makes any sense?
ImageImageImageImage

wrx
Self appointed rAU God

Post by wrx » Mon 18 Jan, 2010 11:24 am

Installed a Process West Oil Cooler on Friday which i will get some photos up soon.

But a massive thanks to Ian for detailing the car. As normal he did a great job!!!
ImageImageImageImage

iano
glass always half empty
Drives: by my own accord

Post by iano » Mon 18 Jan, 2010 11:55 am

Always a pleasure dude :)

wrx
Self appointed rAU God

Post by wrx » Mon 18 Jan, 2010 12:18 pm

I have been looking for a cooler for ages, and there was luckily 2 second hand ones that both came up last week. There was one that was standard, to silver and had rubber hoses which I offered on and he luckily rejected my offer. As a day later there was this one that came up.

Already powder coated black (which i would have done to the other one so that is did not stand out) and had the standard rubber hoses, but also hospital grade teflon braided lines with high pressure fittings. The guy did not spare any expense on these hoses and they are a work of art! it also came with silicon heat shielding (which is kinda a must as the sandwich plate is right need the headers. and at the end of the day, the one that i got with all the toys was cheaper then the one i had to do work on.... HAPPY DAYS.

anyway here are some pics.

Core and fitting.

ImageImage
ImageImage

This is the inside of the silicon hose protector that is on the teflon brained lines which are rated to over 400PSI.

Shit photo of the core installed (did not have a flash at the time :(

and the sandwich plate under the engine

I will get some of the front with the grill back in - you can not even tell that it is there which is AWESOME!

I have only driven it to and from Ian's which is mainly highway, but normally i sit on 88-94deg water and about the same oil temp. When i dropped the car over on Friday night the water only got to 73deg and the oil sat at 65degs - then through the traffic lights and slower speeds they both sat at about 75 degs. On the drive home on Saturday, it was kinda warm, but both only got to around the 80 mark.

I can not wait to get it to the track and see the difference. At QR i see 105 water and 103 oil (as that is where my warning lights are set so that is where i back out). I am hoping that with this installed i should be looking at mid to high 90's which would be perfect!
Last edited by wrx on Mon 18 Jan, 2010 12:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ImageImageImageImage

cGr
Intuition

Post by cGr » Mon 18 Jan, 2010 12:23 pm

Sweet. I'll be interested to hear the temperature differences on the track.

wrx
Self appointed rAU God

Post by wrx » Mon 18 Jan, 2010 12:47 pm

Updated with temps Cam :)
ImageImageImageImage

cGr
Intuition

Post by cGr » Mon 18 Jan, 2010 3:19 pm

That bodes well for the race track. Some logic as the TMIC, higher speeds = more air flow = less temp.

It shouldnt be an issue for the track, and still bearing in mind that you dont drive it that much on the street, but a higher temp thermostat might be required to keep the operating temps up. The boxer engines like running a bit hotter.

wrx
Self appointed rAU God

Post by wrx » Mon 18 Jan, 2010 3:33 pm

yeah as it sits it has a 73deg thermo in it, and that dropped the temps before the cooler by about 4 degs so it is not a lot of difference.
ImageImageImageImage

wrx
Self appointed rAU God

Post by wrx » Tue 19 Jan, 2010 9:52 am

Next thing that i am on the hunt for now is a Swirl Pot, as i suffer REALLY badly from fuel surge and that is never a good thing for an engine!

Not sure what type i want... but i am sure something will fall into my lap :P
ImageImageImageImage

wrx
Self appointed rAU God

Post by wrx » Sun 24 Jan, 2010 2:03 pm

just took the pig out for a drive today as there was a WRX BBQ that i went to.

Heading home from Towong i came through the city and got onto the freeway at North Quay entry. I had been sitting in traffic a while but managed to stop at the red light before the freeway in pole position. I looked at the oil temp and it was sitting at 90deg - which was not surprising as we had been in traffic for the best part of 5-7 mins with no air flow.

So i took off steady and cruised at the limit (70km/h then 80km/hr) and by the middle of Captain Cook Bridge the temp has dropped back to 77 deg with an outside temp of 36deg.

Moral to the story,.... i am really happy with the performance of this oil cooler. Down side is that come winter i may have to get something made up to cover it when i am not racing as i think it will be too good for on the road :)
ImageImageImageImage

wrx
Self appointed rAU God

Post by wrx » Thu 11 Feb, 2010 6:41 pm

Well today did not really go as i had planned to be honest :( after checking all the normal things before starting a track day i noticed that i had about 1/4 left on my brakes pad and thought nothing more of it.

Went out for the first session and the car seemed to be strong, but was a little taily under brakes as it is not rather light in the arse. After getting used to this it was not a bad session. Nothing to get overly excited about, as it was hot and the track was as green as i have ever seen it - which is to be expected after the amount of rain they have had.

She ran around about .6 to 1 second of my PB lap after lap which i was happy with. Brought her in after 6 laps and checked over her while letting the air out of my tyres to get them back to 30PSI.

back out again and the same results.

on my third time out i noticed that there was not a lot of bight on the brakes, and came in to find that it was completely metal on metal and i had managed to completely phuck a rotor.

So that was the end of my day and i came home with my tail between my legs.

I am rather pissed that i did not get to run all day, but also because i can not run on Sunday at the dirt.

all going to plan she will be into the shop some time in March, to have new rotors, new H16 pads, braided lines, brake seals, additional muffler installed, swirl pot and a tune.

March is not going to be a cheap month at all!
ImageImageImageImage

antos
BLUE STEEL!
Drives: IXO00

Post by antos » Thu 18 Feb, 2010 8:41 pm

Looking good, saw u on Sunday off Logan rd at mt gravatt, was in the 9, gave u a bit of wave but u must of been thinking " who the he'll is this" lol

wrx
Self appointed rAU God

Post by wrx » Mon 08 Mar, 2010 1:39 pm

OK, it has been a rather large week in the world of 81TTN.

I dropped her off to Nick last Monday and had a very long list for him to work through.

Starting with installing the new SCR Pro rotors to the old hats, then install new H16 pads in the front. Following this I then had ARD legal braided lines installed to try to get better pedal feel on the track and while i had them all apart i replace the seals with genuine subaru job - and that was a good thing as the old ones had not taken to nicely to the heat and were completely shagged.

ImageImage

From there i had a new muffler installed in her to get her down to a usable dB reading, and Nick absolutely smashed it and she is now 94.5 dB at 4000rpm at about 5 metres

Then is new fuel system that she is running. I am now using the Walbro GSS342 (still sitting inside the Spec C intank surge tank) as a lift pump to feed a custom made swirl pot that is mounted in the boot and has all lines external - so there is no smell in the cabin at all!!!

From here it is gravity fed to a big Bosch 044 which feeds the engine with more than enough fuel.

ImageImage
ImageImage

With all this work done, i picked her up on the trailer Friday night at 8 o'clock ready for the trip to Toowoomba at 6am on Saturday.

We had a bit of a dick about in the morning as there was a guy on the dyno that had not booked it and said he would be 10 mins, but actually took 3 and a half hours.

Having the 3.5 hours to chat with him, Michael had a firm grasp on what i wanted and how i wanted the car to handle, and the short story is that i want it to pull harder out of the corners in the mid RPM range - even if i had to give up top end power.

But finally Michael and I strapped her down to the dyno and did a couple of base power runs, and to my surprise it was already running more power than last year - up from 193 to 195 @21.5psi. Michael said that this was because the last dyno graph showed the fuel was a little weak up the top coming from the Walbro, but the 044 was feeding it well and therefore there was no ECU correction going on. He then talked me through the tune that was on the car and showed me where it was good and where is could be improved. Seeing this after the morning chat filled me with so much confidence that he knew what he was on about - this man literally lives tuning Subaru and Mitsubishi factory ECUs; he knows every little setting and what it does. and knows that by changing this number over here it will effect these 3 things over there!!!!

Anyway.... the car then sat there shut down for about an hour as Michael did what he does on the lappy and deleted the old tune and then programmed the ECU from from scratch with the focus on midrange.

The first run on this tune that he just pulled out of his arse ran over 200kw @ 20psi at the wheels and i nearly fell off the seat.

From here she ran about another 10 runs just to perfect the tune and by then end of the day she was running a very safe 208.1kw @ 18psi (3 less than the old tune making less power!) and is so smooth it is unbelievable.

For example the old tune had a 10deg knock correction programmed, so when the ECU recorded knock it would throw the full 10degs at it. But Michael spent about 30mins just programing a linear knock curve that goes up in single figure increments. I used to see the 10deg of correction all the time, as that is all that it had available to it, but driving it yesterday and a bit today i have not seen any more than 7.5deg and that was because i was trying to get it by using a high gear. if you are in the correct gear i don't really see anything over 5 much.

For shits and giggles we thought that we would see how much power she would make on 12psi with some tweaks to the maps... and to my surprise it pulled a rather respectful 176kw ... so we then saved that as Tune B on the ECU.

Just for good measure i also had him enable Launch Control too :) so i will be testing that out on Sunday at the dirt :)

So at the end of the day, i had a heap of tips and tricks on the car and tuning them, along with a Tune A that was 15kw more than i had before most of the way through the range (remembering that i have not added any performance mods apart from getting more fuel to the engine - so that is all in tuning!!!!!!) and a Tune B that i might use :D and Launch Control, so i can say that Michael from OPMSport is a complete champion and knows his shit!!! i can not recommend him enough!!!!

ImageImageImageImage