2010 FORD FG FALCON XR6T

Projects undertaken by redlineAU members to improve various aspects of their cars.
dorift
I love lamp
Drives: Toyota Hilux Diablo

2010 FORD FG FALCON XR6T

Post by dorift » Wed 25 Jul, 2012 6:27 pm

Fair way from home to be blaming cold tyres?

I'm sorry you had a bingle, it definitely sucks, and yep, a few/most of us have been there unfortunately.
But blaming cold rubber rather than just saying you ran out of talent looks a bit... Well, like you're making excuses.

I'm sure you'll get the shits me saying this, I'm just suggesting in a somewhat friendly way that you drop the cold tyres angle.
My 3 big ugh moments were all lack of talent. No shame in it as long as we learn. And luckily damage is relatively minor and no injuries. :)
89 Corolla SX
90 Pulsar GTiR
95 Barina GSi
98 200sx
04 Forester XT
99 Hilux ute (woohoo!)

blv
Permantly Unavailable
Drives: MTB
Location: deep in the mists of boost, far beyond the thick cloud of tyre smoke

Re: 2010 FORD FG FALCON XR6T

Post by blv » Wed 25 Jul, 2012 7:07 pm

My tree + pole incident in my Silvia had something to do with tyres & being auto. I travelled the same piece of road earlier that day at a quicker pace. My error was that after doing 10-15 donuts inbetween driving that road meant my tread levels were slightly different :p Steel belts just dont have the same traction. And I hate how unresponsive autos are when trying to drift. Needless to say most accidents involving a lead foot are in someway purely running out of talent. I learn my lesson and only pushed the envelope at the track from that day on. Plus I added a man pedal so that helped.
I just don't know if people like me. I know when they don't like me 'cause they'll say things like, 'Yeah, that's him, officer.'

daBOODA
Mr. Diplomacy
Drives: sda0

Post by daBOODA » Wed 25 Jul, 2012 7:11 pm

The Gitty accident was 100% my fault. I shouldn't have been in a rush and I shouldn't have let myself get distracted by an incoming txt message ring tone!
"The argument doesn't work with me. Go back to your cracker jack lifestyle and I'll meet you at the evolutionary bell curve ... I'll be sitting there a while, it's kind of a tortoise and the hare story." - Bill Hicks

SecaBoy
Mr Indecisive

Post by SecaBoy » Wed 25 Jul, 2012 8:36 pm

graham, not gonna get the shits with what you said. everyone has their opinion. but without knowing the full details, i'd suggest you refrain from judging so eagerly.

the fact of the matter is that i was turning right with traction control ON.
i had come to a complete stop at the intersection and then turned right. the max i could have been going was ~40km/h. hence the small amount of impact and no injurys sustained.
i'm not saying that i'm a drift king, but i was hardly trying to drift the corner. there are quite often cops up the top of the road with radars, so no chance in hell i speed along that section of road!
i may have accelerated too much on that corner, but i would have been using maybe about a third throttle. it came on boost and kicked sideways.
YES, my "talent ran out" in terms of being able to pull it back in line, but my "talent running out" wasnt the CAUSE of the accident.
i've driven this road/corner every week day for the last 1.5yrs and this was the first time that its actually spun up on that section.

when i was close to home, i realised that the tyres were acting a bit strangely when i got wheel spin up a hill which i normally dont have any issue with.

cold tyres or slippery tyres or something on the road....who knows!? all i know was that it was a combination of the tyres not gripping (like they normally would) and my assumption that traction control would cut in, when it didnt.

anyway, my explaining the situation isnt gonna change your mind. you wanna think that my lack of talent caused the accident, then thats cool with me. :)
i know i was at fault, im not denying that fact. but the fact remains that it was the car not behaving the way that i would assume it would which caused the accident.

maybe this accident was a sign of my "lack of talent" and i should sell this powerful car and buy a boring car......i dont know, maybe something like a micra. :P
1991 Toyota Corolla Seca ==> SOLD
2001 Subaru Impreza WRX ==> SOLD
2006 Honda Accord Euro Luxury ==> SOLD
1990 Nissan Silvia RB20DET ==> SOLD
2008 Toyota TRD Aurion 3500SL ==> SOLD
2010 Ford Falcon XR6T ==> SOLD
:cry
2016 VW Polo 81TSI DSG

dorift
I love lamp

2010 FORD FG FALCON XR6T

Post by dorift » Wed 25 Jul, 2012 10:17 pm

Oh snap that hurts.

Don't be precious.
89 Corolla SX
90 Pulsar GTiR
95 Barina GSi
98 200sx
04 Forester XT
99 Hilux ute (woohoo!)

dorift
I love lamp

2010 FORD FG FALCON XR6T

Post by dorift » Wed 25 Jul, 2012 10:20 pm

You did a 180 btw. Your words. I sincerely doubt half of your story.

But it doesn't matter. And I don't have to pay for repairs, and I'm glad you're okay.
89 Corolla SX
90 Pulsar GTiR
95 Barina GSi
98 200sx
04 Forester XT
99 Hilux ute (woohoo!)

SecaBoy
Mr Indecisive

Post by SecaBoy » Wed 25 Jul, 2012 10:38 pm

:lol: just having a friendly dig at ya. just a joke. :)

yeah, i did a 180. on slippery tyres, you could easily do a 180 at that speed.
put it this way. when i hit the guard rail, i thought i could have driven it away. it felt like a very minor tap. the first guy to come up in his car said "you okay? you need any help?" and i just said "nah, im good, thanks".
also the fact that the car didnt keep moving towards the guard rail and damage the whole side of my car shows that the speed i was going wasnt that high.

either way, i dont see what i'd gain by making up a story. :lol:
if i was trying to protect my pride, or something like that, i think i could come up with a WAY better story.
off the top of my head, i think maybe something along the lines of "i was cutting sik hoops on the way to work when a cat ran out in my way and i didnt want to kill it, so i slammed in to the guard rail instead". :lol:
wait, give me time and i'll come up with a better one.
...............or, i wouldnt have even said anything to anyone and no one would know about it. :lol:
2016 VW Polo 81TSI DSG

dorift
I love lamp

2010 FORD FG FALCON XR6T

Post by dorift » Wed 25 Jul, 2012 11:04 pm

I shan't be bothered by a dig at my $800 car. At its value you'd be wasting your own valuable time trying to think of insults.
I figured you'd get the shits (aka, get defensive) with my "running out of talent" suggestion. And your responses reinforce that in my ever so humble opinion. All good.

I actually wasn't trying to have much of a go at you. Just stating my opinion that a 1.8 tonne car doesn't just miraculously (when driven reasonably sensibly) do a 180 degree turn and kiss a guard rail simply because it had cold tyres (after driving 15-odd km's). Sure you do it every other day of the week, but it's that 1/100 event that catches a person unawares; you gave it a bootful and lost it. No shame- I just think you're a pickle if you start blaming cold tyres or crappy factory traction control.

If its any consolation (which I'm sure it's not) I almost rolled my shitbox a couple of weeks ago through a roundabout because I overestimated my ability to negotiate a bumpy turning corner at speed in a [frankly] horrible little car. If I wasn't on 2 wheels then I'm not sitting here.
89 Corolla SX
90 Pulsar GTiR
95 Barina GSi
98 200sx
04 Forester XT
99 Hilux ute (woohoo!)

SecaBoy
Mr Indecisive

2010 FORD FG FALCON XR6T

Post by SecaBoy » Thu 26 Jul, 2012 6:03 am

There's no way I'll ever change your mind about your assumptions. That's cool. You go on thinking you're right. :)

As I said before. You weren't there and I have nothing to gain by making up such a lame story.
It won't kill you to admit that you're wrong in your assumptions every now and then. :lol:
2016 VW Polo 81TSI DSG

Jnr_Zilla
Power Suits are for Pussies
Drives: FPV F6

Post by Jnr_Zilla » Thu 26 Jul, 2012 10:01 am

Filling in for Dan this week are we Graham.... :666 *pokes* the bear then no matter the response claim the high ground and say you weren't really trying to poke the bear and that the bear should just chillax and not be so defensive...

Everyone has had fuckups and in some cases there are extenuating circumstances...
"Ling-Ling... you forgot your Bling-Bling"

cGr
Intuition

Post by cGr » Thu 26 Jul, 2012 10:12 am

dorift wrote:I overestimated my ability to negotiate a bumpy turning corner at speed in a [frankly] horrible little car. If I wasn't on 2 wheels then I'm not sitting here.
Is it that bad through the corners?

I've been in a front wheel drive car which oversteered (1st strange thing) turning into a left hand corner. The crazy thing was that it kicked to the left. If I wasnt in the car I would have never believed it. We went back to check the corner and found an unusual amount of dirt and sand on the corner which must have been spilt by a truck/trailer.

I'm not going to argue with how much talent you do or dont have, but there's still the possibility that there is another reason as to why you had your accident ash.

SecaBoy
Mr Indecisive

Post by SecaBoy » Thu 26 Jul, 2012 10:35 am

i was probably quick to make the "cold tyres" claim. but the fact remains that the tyres didnt act the way that they would be expected to act right from the start of my journey.
maybe instead of saying "cold tyres", i should have said "unexpected lack of grip".
does it make that much difference? i'm so sorry i used the wrong wording. the effect was the same. the tyres didnt grip as i thought they would.

at the end of the day. i've done some really stupid shit in cars over the years and to have my first accident 10yrs after starting to drive is a pretty good record all things considered. :)
i remember driving home one night on the bruce hwy when i had my corolla and purposely trying to get the rear end to slide out at 80km/h by steering to left and then quickly to the right.
whilst it was fun, i think back and think about the result if it had gone wrong and i shake my head.

anywhooooooooo. i'm over it. graham/everyone else can think what they like. i was there and knew what happened, so thats all i can say. :lol:

on another note. i'm a little concerned that a normal "smash repair" place is doing the mechanical repairs as well.
i know that i'll have "lifetime warranty" on the work completed, but i would have much preferred that my mechanic/tuner did the work.
i would be at ease knowing that elite did the work because they know exactly what parts are on it and how they can get it back to the normal.
maybe i'll just get them to look over it once its done and get them to point out any issues.
2016 VW Polo 81TSI DSG

Jonesy
1000RPM
Drives: Pootrol

Post by Jonesy » Thu 26 Jul, 2012 10:38 am

what mechanical repairs do they need to do Ash as it looks to me that its mainly cosmetic

SecaBoy
Mr Indecisive

Post by SecaBoy » Thu 26 Jul, 2012 10:56 am

i didnt have a look under the bonnet, but it didnt look like its anything major.
intercooler piping
intercooler looked slightly damaged
radiator. it was dripping coolant, so could have just been the lower radiator hose connector
battery mount

most of it is easy to fix and wont be an issue, i'm only concerned that if they use a different type of intercooler/piping that the tune may be effected.
no way in hell they'll put it on the dyno once all the work is completed to make sure it all still works.

i just dont want a dodgy repair done. when my trd got egged and needed fixing, i had to take it back twice for them to actually fix things properly.
2016 VW Polo 81TSI DSG

cGr
Intuition

Post by cGr » Thu 26 Jul, 2012 11:44 am

If anything isnt up to spec AFTER the repair has been done, you can get your normal mechanic to fix it to an acceptable level. Just get a letter/quote from your mechanic, submit it to your insurance company, and go from there.

BUT. (and its a big butt)

Does your insurance company cover modifications to your car? Read the PDS and make sure you know what you are and are not covered for.

SecaBoy
Mr Indecisive

Post by SecaBoy » Thu 26 Jul, 2012 3:06 pm

yeah, they're all listed on the policy.
2016 VW Polo 81TSI DSG

80OTI
Up On One

Post by 80OTI » Fri 27 Jul, 2012 9:45 am

Lol.. Try explaining lack of grip to your insurance company.. Was it wet? If not, have fun defending your lack of ability to control a car whilst apparently only doing 40. We're all car enthusiasts champ..
A heavy right foot shouldn't be blamed on the tyres not holding on. I see people like you daily who have no idea how to handle a vehicle with a little bit of power. Your lucky it was only a 40km hit after some of the shit I've read on you.
Take it to a track. Doing skids from the lights is so 2008
04 GSXR 1000
9.93 @ 142mph

80OTI
Up On One

Post by 80OTI » Fri 27 Jul, 2012 10:07 am

And regardless of your excuses, you still decided to drive. In a vehicle you yourself said didn't feel right. Maybe invest in some semi slicks or tyre warmers..
04 GSXR 1000
9.93 @ 142mph

SecaBoy
Mr Indecisive

2010 FORD FG FALCON XR6T

Post by SecaBoy » Fri 27 Jul, 2012 10:15 am

Whatever you say mate. :)
2016 VW Polo 81TSI DSG

Eu-GenixX
5000RPM
Drives: CJ Lancer VR

Post by Eu-GenixX » Fri 27 Jul, 2012 2:55 pm

Pretty sure... the basic version of what Ash is saying is that... the car didn't react as it normally does... no matter how good a driver you are.. if you drive a car every day the same way.. and one time it does something you don't expect.. bad shit will happen.. and that seems to be the case here..