MY11.5 VW Golf R (175FUN v2.0)

Projects undertaken by redlineAU members to improve various aspects of their cars.
tipper
male housemaid

Post by tipper » Mon 10 Oct, 2011 12:33 pm

Where do you buy the cable from?

DreamensioN
4000RPM
Drives: Golf R

Post by DreamensioN » Mon 10 Oct, 2011 12:50 pm

From here:
http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/interfaces.html

It uses the VCDS software to talk to the car (which is free to download - you buy the license for the software when you buy the cable).

You can then enable/disable things on the car which is normally done at the dealership (eg. change how many blinks are on the comfort indicator, how the needles dance when you turn on, etc etc)

VCDS Tweaks here:
http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/forums/ ... 50749.html

The auto-close windows/sunroof when rain detected is the first tweak on that link.

DreamensioN
4000RPM

Re: MY11.5 VW Golf R (175FUN v2.0)

Post by DreamensioN » Tue 10 Jan, 2012 1:56 pm

Ok so - I'm getting a tune done. Meeting up with the guy this afternoon so he can do a read of my file, then work on it. It'll get reflashed tomorrow and I'm done.

Getting a "motorsport" tune, and a DSG tune.

It was a bit unexpected to be done this afternoon so I don't have my camera with me - hopefully the iPhone will work.

DreamensioN
4000RPM

Post by DreamensioN » Tue 10 Jan, 2012 3:09 pm

Ok that was fairly quick.

The read was done and now I have all the hardware to reload the new tune myself later tonight.
I will take photos and document the process.

I'm getting excited!

DreamensioN
4000RPM

Post by DreamensioN » Tue 10 Jan, 2012 8:33 pm

Ok so here's the kit. It includes the V-Switch box (which holds the 3 tunes), the usb cable for connect the V-Switch to a laptop. Laptop software to send/download tunes, and the cable to connect the V-Switch to the car for loading/reading ROMS.

Am now just waiting for my 2 new tunes to be emailed to me.

blv
Permantly Unavailable
Drives: MTB
Location: deep in the mists of boost, far beyond the thick cloud of tyre smoke

Post by blv » Tue 10 Jan, 2012 9:17 pm

The way of the future will be no more dynos!
I just don't know if people like me. I know when they don't like me 'cause they'll say things like, 'Yeah, that's him, officer.'

DreamensioN
4000RPM

Post by DreamensioN » Tue 10 Jan, 2012 9:40 pm

After researching all the different tuning options - I went with these guys. They're very new in Australia aswell, but are well established in Europe. Their tunes are backed by insurance. So if their tune kills my car - they pay for it. VW also seems to be the lower end of cars they tune. These guys do Mercs, Ferrari's, Aston Martins and Porches.

Another huge benefit is with this tune, I get free updates/upgrades. So if I added a fuel pump, injectors, exhaust or whatever - I get a retune for free...for as long as I have car. That's value!

SecaBoy
Mr Indecisive

Post by SecaBoy » Wed 11 Jan, 2012 7:27 am

that sounds like good value, but these "tunes" scare me...
every engine is different, so you're either not getting the most of your tune, or it could be a bit risky.

maybe i'm just too old school minded, but i still think that cars need to be tuned on a dyno in real time.
1991 Toyota Corolla Seca ==> SOLD
2001 Subaru Impreza WRX ==> SOLD
2006 Honda Accord Euro Luxury ==> SOLD
1990 Nissan Silvia RB20DET ==> SOLD
2008 Toyota TRD Aurion 3500SL ==> SOLD
2010 Ford Falcon XR6T ==> SOLD
:cry
2016 VW Polo 81TSI DSG

DreamensioN
4000RPM

Post by DreamensioN » Wed 11 Jan, 2012 9:48 am

Yeah - I'm definatly not getting 10/10ths out of the tune. For that, I need a full custom tune done on a dyno. There are places around Brisbane that do that, but it comes with conditions. Such as, every time I get the car serviced, I need to go back there so they can reflash the tune, or return to stock so VW thinks I haven't tinkered with it.

The Viezu tune is like the best compromise of all the tuning options available. APR/Superchips/GIAC (while slightly different), are a sort of "one size fits all". APR & GIAC seem to have more aggressive tunes, but you buy them in "Stages". Stage 1 -> do a few mods, then buy Stage 2 etc. Superchips are a milder tune but you have the ability to put on/remove the tune at your own will using their handcontroller called a "Bluefin". They are also really cheap at only $600 for a "Stage 1" tune. Good value if all you're after is just a bit more pep out of the engine.

The Viezu tune is like all those combined, but with an extra layer of customisation. Instead of "Bluefin", the Viezu unti is called a "V-Switch". But instead of "Stage 1", "Stage 2" etc - you just get one tune, that you pay for...once. They have 4 "base" tunes they can provide (Valet mode, Economy, Performance, Motorsport). And from there - I can liase with them back and fourth on what I like/don't like about the tune, and they can customise it accordingly to within my physical mods.

Right now I'm dead stock - so there's only so much they can do with a Motorsport tune. But say I then upgrade the intercooler (which is only $400 :D), I then take a read of the ROM, send it to them, tell them I'm now running an upgraded S3 intercooler - and they recode it accordingly, and send it back. I load it - try it... then say "Yep this is awesome" or "Can you give it a bit more midrange punch" - and it goes back & fourth like that.

During the UK business hours, there's about a 3-4hr turnaround.

The V-Switch can handle 3 tunes - and I'm getting 2 additional ones from Viezu. I'm getting the Motorport tune, and the Performance tune. This means I'll be able to swap (in about 15min) between Stock, Performance and Motorsport. However, I'm thinking I might ditch the Performance tune, and go the Valet one. The rep that sold me the unit said once people load the Motorsport tune, they never use any other, except stock (for when the car goes in for a service).

I believe him too. In the 200SX, on the AVC-R, I have 2 boost settings (high and low), and I never used the low one. "Low boost' is just going easier on the juice pedal when it's in "high boost" mode.

cGr
Intuition

Post by cGr » Wed 11 Jan, 2012 10:06 am

Ash: ECU's have come far enough for there to be enough safeguards built into them to prevent things breaking. If a parameter goes outside a preset range, then things drop back in to safe mode and give you a chance to stop the proverbial hitting the fan.

A friend in melbourne has taken a similar approach to tuning on both his 911 turbo (sent away a dongle which could then be reprogrammed before being uploaded into the ecu in the car), as well as his Audi TTRS (sends the whole ECU to germany for a retune!), and never had a problem with the tunes. The biggest issue he has had was with the car overheating during long stages (30+kays of flatout racing) or at time attack (which was a test for this very tune). Both times the car just winds back the boost and timing. He has the problem sorted out now, but he is pushing 100% out of his car, ecu and tune. For the type of work Noel is going to be doing he should be well within the capabilities of the car, the tune and everything in between!

When are you taking me for a ride in the R Noel? :D

SecaBoy
Mr Indecisive

Post by SecaBoy » Wed 11 Jan, 2012 10:55 am

yeah i suppose so... i guess i'm still living in the dark ages. :lol:
2016 VW Polo 81TSI DSG

DreamensioN
4000RPM

Post by DreamensioN » Wed 11 Jan, 2012 9:23 pm

Awwwww yeah!

Ok so.... the whole process is really easy.

I recieved the new tune today, and the first step is to load it onto the V-Switch box. This is done using a computer, the associated V-switch software, and the v-switch itself.

Then you plug the V-switch into the car through the COM port. Power to the unit automatically comes on when you plug it in.

Navigating the menu on the V-Switch, you tell it you want to load a new tune, and you pick the tune you just put on (via the laptop). The V-Switch tells you to turn the ignition on, and the reflashing process beings. The first thing I noticed is that all the lights on the dash came up during the "erase" cycle - like the car had no idea what to do.

The new tune then starts to load. The whole process is very reminiscent of a BIOS update.

Now I've been advised that the tune will approx 3-5 days to fully kick in. It has to learn again. So I've been told to drive it hard so it learns that. This evening I only mangaged to go for a quick spin around the estate - but I can already tell the car is VERY different. It pulls A LOT harder than it did before, and it's A LOT more reponsive.

Previously, when in "D" mode - the car felt very lathargic, and "S" mode was a bit too "lets hold onto the RPM's" happy for street use. In the short 10min drive I did, I can already sense "D" mode is a lot better and holds the gears slightly longer (making it even more driveable), and "S" mode has even more surge.

So far I'm impressed, and already echo the thoughs of other people who have flashed their R's - in that... this is how it SHOULD have been from the factory.

I'll let you know how it goes over the next couple of days.

Ohh - and one thing I noticed (then tested) is launch control is now from 4500rpm. Before I think it was from 3000rpm.

SecaBoy
Mr Indecisive

Post by SecaBoy » Thu 12 Jan, 2012 6:45 am

are you going to dyno it?

i know i know, its safe and all that shit, but come on!!! a dyno will give you some piece of mind surely! :lol:
2016 VW Polo 81TSI DSG

dan
argument inc
Drives: German's mum........

Post by dan » Thu 12 Jan, 2012 11:16 pm

+1..... having someone try and tune your car from 17,000km away sounds fairly risky. how do they know you don't have a 'friday afternoon' car? how do they accomodate the 35deg days like your temp guage is showing? how do they know the difference between australian 'bp ultimate' and english 'esso synergy' etc etc... i'm not saying it's impossible, but it sure sounds risky. and saying they have 'insurance' is one thing, but emailing them a $15k bill for an engine rebuild and getting a favourable response is something entirely different......
camo means mogg, and mogg means business

DreamensioN
4000RPM

Post by DreamensioN » Fri 13 Jan, 2012 10:57 am

There's a certain amount of information you supply when you send the tune in - such as where you're from, what car you have (obviously), and what modifications you have. Plus also the registration & VIN number - which I can only imagine is for tracking purposes.

Many of the Euro tunes are done this way. Superchips/Bluefin has been around for years - and they are also an "email us your standard rom, and we'll email you back a tuned version" company. APR is a "generic" reflash that's not tuned specifically for each individual car. Same with GIAC.

I don't know enough about tuning on how it all works.

cGr
Intuition

Post by cGr » Fri 13 Jan, 2012 11:56 am

Cars have come a long way from 10 years ago. Back then, you gave your car to a tuner, he threw it on a dyno and used an expensive (and accurate) air/fuel gauge to determine how much fuel he could take out of the tune (because manufacturers made genericly rich tunes because it was safer for the engine), and advanced the timing to a point a few degrees before it started pinging. It's taken off the dyno, and you trusted that the tuner did his job, and that the reasonably dumb electronics in the car would sort out everything else.

Fast forward to 2011. European emission standards have gone from Euro 3 to Euro 5 because apparently we're burning too much fuel, generating too much CO2 and destroying the planet. Part of the standards control how much pollutant is allowed out the tail pipe of the car.

Now, a quick jump back in time. Your car from 2001 had a narrowband oxygen sensor in it which basically tells you 1 of 2 things - is the exhaust gas got too much fuel in it/running rich? Or too little fuel in it/running lean? And that's assuming that the oxygen sensor was even being used (closed loop), or if the ECU thought it knew better, and just determined timing and fuel from the air flow meter and where the throttle is (open loop). That's why the tuner hooked up his expensive air/fuel meter, because the one on your car was shite.

In 2006, a car would not pass European emission standards with a narrowband oxygen sensor because it belched out too much crap into the environment. The easy solution? Put a wideband o2 sensor in. Rather than just saying 'rich or lean' like its narrowband brother, it will tell you exactly what the air/fuel ratio is of the exhaust gas. It's no different to the fact that an iphone has more processing power in it than a cray supercomputer from the 90's, technology advances and things get cheaper and smaller. The car can now finitely adjust and control how much fuel/air is entering the engine to ensure that it runs within the safe parameters set by the manufacturer, as well as satisfying the emissions standards for what comes out the tailpipe.

When it comes time for an aftermarket tune of a modern ecu, all the tuner is doing is altering the window of acceptable values. Between ignition, fuel, a/f readings, boost, throttle and a thousand other inputs that are present on modern engines/ecu's, there are enough things to both alter, as well as warn if another input spacks out (overboost, engine temp, etc, etc, etc). Taking this to the n-th degree, an R35 GTR will go into limp mode if the brake fluid gets too hot.

No doubt its a deviation from the old school 'trusting the tuner' to 'trusting the ecu', but I've seen enough dodgy tunes from tuners who should know what they are doing in my life that (at least for mild tunes) I'd prefer to trust a computer that has however many tens of thousands of hours put into the R&D of it from a manufacturer. Also, to think that bolt on mods and standard ecu's are getting hours and hours of custom development from a tuner on a dyno is naiive. They will have a library of generic tunes for a multitude of cars in various levels of modification. They'll load one up, and unless there's something funky going on, it will work out of the box with little other effort required other than printing out a dyno graph to 'prove' to the customer that its safe. The irony is that over time, the car will make its own adjustments to the base tune, and formulate its own correction map depending on the specific conditions associated with that car (climate, fuel quality, etc), as well as how its driven.

spitex
GTiR wannabe
Drives: FPV F6

Post by spitex » Fri 13 Jan, 2012 12:42 pm

Rise of the machines ....

SecaBoy
Mr Indecisive

Post by SecaBoy » Fri 13 Jan, 2012 1:16 pm

i find it funny that i can site here and assume that ecu's in cars havent advanced at all the last 10yrs, even though we can see how much better normal computers have advanced in that time...
:lol:

i stand corrected and amused at my naivety! :lol:
2016 VW Polo 81TSI DSG

DreamensioN
4000RPM

Post by DreamensioN » Fri 13 Jan, 2012 1:38 pm

So far I've done 150km with the new tune, which used up the last 1/4 tank of fuel I had. I've refilled the car this morning, and I'll post up an honest opinion of what I think about the tune once I'm most of the way through this tank. So far though, I'm very pleased with the results and how the car is performing.

DreamensioN
4000RPM

Post by DreamensioN » Wed 18 Jan, 2012 7:29 pm

I'll be writing my full report on what I think of the tune tomorrow or Friday.

The car goes in for its 15,000km service tomorrow at VW, and I've just finished returning the car to stock. I love this V-switch unit.