MY11.5 VW Golf R (175FUN v2.0)

Projects undertaken by redlineAU members to improve various aspects of their cars.
Ted
1000RPM

Re: MY11.5 VW Golf R (175FUN v2.0)

Post by Ted » Thu 19 Jan, 2012 6:19 am

definitely a plus being able to upload the new tune yourself, compared to paying a fee each time your dealer re-flashes it at a service. Mind you, that also means that you never get the benefits of factory updates either unless you know what they are and get them built into your tune. I had this recently, had the service manager at my dealership ring me up about 1hr after I dropped the car off, asking if they could re-flash it to the new map they had. I said "Sure thing, go nuts!" and he responded with "Are you sure?" After a bit more probing, and me saying Yes, but why are you asking, he said that it was because the mechanic asked him to drive the car and they both agreed that it must have had a custom tune in it because of how much better it went, and figured I would get upset by them getting rid of it. The car has the factory tune in it btw, all the other mods were physical. But luckily I have a dealership who don't worry about that.

BTW there are a lot of ways built in nowadays for them to know if it has been tampered with or not. They will just humour it as long as there are no major warranty claims, or you get a good/dump dealer. I still remember a mate's dramas with a warranty claim on his S3, which finally got resolved at the national level accompanied with an order to not touch an aftermarket tune again if he wants to keep his warranty.
Motorsport is a disease, where the only cure is poverty.

German
plays the skin flute
Drives: Ms Piggy.. Dans GF

MY11.5 VW Golf R (175FUN v2.0)

Post by German » Thu 19 Jan, 2012 6:20 am

15k already!!!

How many trips to Sydney have you done!
dan wrote:i suck- please carry on! :)

DreamensioN
4000RPM
Drives: Golf R

Post by DreamensioN » Tue 24 Jan, 2012 10:04 pm

Ha ha! I do a lot of driving to customer sites etc. One day I'm driving to Ipswich, the next I'm heading down the Gold Coast for a customer lunch. The day after I'm going to Virginia to sort out some issue. With the 200SX, I never kept a log book, but now that I have a new car - I'm going to get as much of it back on tax as I can.

DreamensioN
4000RPM

Post by DreamensioN » Tue 24 Jan, 2012 10:07 pm

I've written up a review of the Viezu tune that I had done. Here is a copy/paste from the VW forums where I posted it.

Hey guys - well after a couple of weeks of living with the tune, I can happily say it is the best money I've ever spent on a car.

And below is my honest, raw, opinion.

For the record, I've got an MY11.5 Golf R with DSG. It's completely factory standard (apart from this tune).

So after first loading the tune, and from hearing all the talk about the Viezu tune, I was immediatly impressed by the performance gain - but I wasn't "blown away" (just yet). Let me explain.....

Throttle Response
From the factory, I always felt the Golf R was a bit "slow to respond/laggy" under around 2800rpm. The throttle didn't feel linear to input responses. I would push down, the car would slowly move. I'd push down a bit further, and the amount of input to the pedal, didn't equate to the amount of power I was getting out of the engine. This was something I first noticed long before I took delivery of my own Golf R, and when I was driving the demo model at the dealership.

I also think that in the stock D mode, the gears change up a fraction to soon. And in S mode, the gears held on just a bit too long for daily street use. Ideally what I wanted was something inbetween for every day use.

After getting reflashed - the immediate difference was instantly recognisable. Throttle response is MUCH sharper. The car is more responsive under 2800rpm. Gear changes are also more "optimised". No longer does it feel like I'm driving a car that's going up through the gears a little too quickly. The car is more "streetable", and satisfying to drive. Launch control has also been lifted from 3000rpm to 4200rpm (or there abouts).

Power
While response off boost is dramatically improved, the power delivery when it comes on boost is magical. The car has been transformed into a much more aggressive version of itself. The best way I can describe it is.... imagine a photo, but the photo is dull and lifeless and a bit washed out. This is the stock Golf R. Now, imagine that photo getting worked in Photoshop, where contrast and colour saturations are turned up. Now it's vibrant and full of life. That is the Viezu reflashed Golf R. It's simply a better version of itself....a version that has tapped into its full (factory) potential. The way it should have been.

The improved power delivery is linear and constant through the rev range, and you can sense the flat torque curve at your fingertips. If I can draw a real world experience.... it's that - my 200SX didn't put a smile on my face like this until I did the exhaust, doubled the boost, and had an ECU replacement. I now get that same "push back in the seat" feeling out of the Golf R, with just a tune.

Fuel Economy
One very surprising aspect I discovered is that fuel economy has actually improved! Ok ok... so yes, I do around 80% highway driving. This is sub-3500rpm driving, mostly in 6th gear. After going through 2.5 tanks of fuel since the tune, I am experiencing a 7-10% increase in fuel economy. I say 7-10% because with the first tank, I got around 38km more before the fuel light came on. And with the 2nd tank, I got around 50km more before the fuel light turned on. I used to get around 540km, and now I can get around 580-600km.

But I stress, this is highway driving - and around Brisbane there aren't a lot of massive hills that I need to go up/down every day. However - the gain in fuel economy is tangiable.

So, at the start of this I said I wasn't blown away at first. And this is true. I was impressed, but the whole "OMFG WOW *FAP FAP FAP*" factor didn't kick in at first. This may be because I was coming from a quite powerful Nissan 200SX as my last car. Because lets face it... someone coming from a Toyota Corolla, into a Golf R, and then a flashed Golf R; they are going to have a different experience from someone who's coming from say... a 190rwKW Japanese drifter, into a Golf R, then a flashed Golf R.

So while I wasn't instantly blown away at first - as the tune bedded in, it really did just get better and better. For me it took around 400km worth of driving. I started to see the bigger picture and the benefits as they developed. Now I can say...this is no doubt, the best value for money investment I reckon I could of done to this car.

Going back to my real world comparision before - lets take into account what I spent (initially) on the 200SX to get a similar result. Custom exhaust - $1800 (this was in 2001). Apexi-AVCR (that's a boost controller) - $800. Apexi PowerFC (this is an entire ECU replacement) - $1100. 5hrs dyno time & tuning @ $140/hr - $700.

All up - that was $4400 to make around 170kw at the wheels. To gain another 20kw, I had to upgrade the fuel pump, injectors, cams, intercooler, coil packs... etc etc etc.

How much power does the Golf R make now? I don't know yet because I haven't been on a dyno. BUT - what I'm getting at is... for a fraction of the cost of modifying the 200SX, I now have the same level of satisfaction.

And in the end....isn't that what it is really all about?

tl;dr?
AAA+++ would buy again.

DreamensioN
4000RPM

Post by DreamensioN » Sat 25 Feb, 2012 4:45 pm

Well, after 10yrs , 7 months and 5 days of ownership - I finally said goodbye to my much loved S15 200SX.

Here are some photos of the car, and the new owner picking it up today.
Attachments
IMG_9148.jpg
IMG_9148.jpg (84.09 KiB) Viewed 78174 times
IMG_9146.jpg
IMG_9146.jpg (94.69 KiB) Viewed 78174 times
IMG_9137.jpg
IMG_9137.jpg (76.93 KiB) Viewed 78174 times

spitex
GTiR wannabe
Drives: FPV F6

Post by spitex » Sun 26 Feb, 2012 12:08 pm

I miss it already!

tipper
male housemaid

Post by tipper » Sun 13 May, 2012 9:51 pm

what did you pay for the Viezu Noel?

DreamensioN
4000RPM

Post by DreamensioN » Mon 14 May, 2012 2:01 pm

I got it on special for $900 - inc the hand controller. I think the price has gone up now though. When I got mine, it was a special introductory offer because Viezu had just landed on the Australian market.

And as luck would have it - I also ended up with all the tunes, rather than just the 2 you normally get with the hand controller. I've now got the Economy, Performance and Motorsport tune.

tipper
male housemaid

Post by tipper » Mon 14 May, 2012 5:14 pm

Sounds like a good deal. I am looking at 2010 A5 Quattro 2 litre and think it might need a little more grunt.

antos
BLUE STEEL!
Drives: IXO00

Post by antos » Mon 18 Jun, 2012 4:44 pm

You will have to let us know when you do an open lakeside run next mate, wohldnt mind taking the micra round lakeside =D

tipper
male housemaid

Post by tipper » Sat 12 Jan, 2013 1:30 pm

I finally drove an R today, first impressions are pretty good with the exception of the lag off the line which my R32 doesn't have. Other than that they are quite similar; familar without being the same. VW are currently doing 1.5% finance on all Golfs including the R and my lease is up in April so timing could work however it looks like negotiating with VW will be difficult with such a low interest rate.

Ted
1000RPM

Post by Ted » Sun 13 Jan, 2013 9:31 am

Yes, they didn't want to budge from rrp if finance was being used. You can also try to push for the 6years warranty and either free or fixed priced servicing, on a lease (unless maintained) this could be better for you. Mind you, it was a bit of a rip off considering they can get the money at 0%, so there was still room to play. I didn't want to use their finance, but at those rates it is kind of silly to use your own money. Anyway, they lost their chance to take my money, though best dealers I found was Sunshine Coast and Ipswich.
Motorsport is a disease, where the only cure is poverty.

tipper
male housemaid

Post by tipper » Sun 13 Jan, 2013 11:31 am

New model is out in 2 months with the R to follow later this year. They will have to run these out shortly and Carsales has plenty of new R's for sale.

I would be keen for the 6 year warranty and have this on my R32. See what they come back to me with tomorrow but I dont expect a deal, just a list of cars at full freight. I am in no rush and after jumping back in the R32 wasnt in love with the R.

DreamensioN
4000RPM

Post by DreamensioN » Tue 12 Feb, 2013 9:05 am

The new model will be interesting, with the new chassis. I hope they style the new R a bit more aggressively than the new Golf "look". I'll have to flip my R in 4-5 years, hopefully the MK VIII will be out by then....or (even hoping for more) I can afford an Audi. LOL.

DreamensioN
4000RPM

Post by DreamensioN » Mon 20 May, 2013 6:57 pm

The R now has 45,000km on it and it went for it's 3rd service today. I came out with a new set of tyres aswell. I'm now running Michelin Pilot Sport 2. They were $360/corner fitted, which I think is a pretty good price.

I'm really happy with the Dunlop Super Maxx's that came with the car. They lasted 45,000km, and that was with 3 "track" days in the mix aswell. The Pirelli's on Jo's car still have about 20% tread left, and they are now up to 52,000km.

Jnr_Zilla
Power Suits are for Pussies

Post by Jnr_Zilla » Tue 21 May, 2013 11:39 am

DreamensioN wrote:The R now has 45,000km on it and it went for it's 3rd service today. I came out with a new set of tyres aswell. I'm now running Michelin Pilot Sport 2. They were $360/corner fitted, which I think is a pretty good price.

I'm really happy with the Dunlop Super Maxx's that came with the car. They lasted 45,000km, and that was with 3 "track" days in the mix aswell. The Pirelli's on Jo's car still have about 20% tread left, and they are now up to 52,000km.
You got 45,000km from the dunlops.. holy crap :P

Mine have had a reasonably easy life without alot of silliness and well I'm just touching 23,000km and they are getting very close to wear indicators on the same tyres.

Keen to hear what you think of the new tyres once they wear in a little as I am shoppin for tyres in the next 2 months.
"Ling-Ling... you forgot your Bling-Bling"

tipper
male housemaid

Post by tipper » Tue 21 May, 2013 12:23 pm

thats great mileage.

I have 95k on my car and just put on the 4th set of tyres I think. the orginal dunlops were terrible toward the end.

I have Goodyear F1 Assymetric 2 and highly recommend them. These are at least the third set of F1's I have had.

Elvis
Started
Drives: Honda Civic Type-R

Post by Elvis » Tue 11 Jun, 2013 1:29 pm

Hmm what a beautiful car... I like your car because its looking very good, and superb clean. You done very good modifications on the car, which makes your car unique. and the color is very glowing in sun light. Thanks for sharing

tipper
male housemaid

Post by tipper » Fri 23 Aug, 2013 8:17 am

Noel, not thinking of upgrading? The new R looks like it will be a great car, more grunt (but yours is probably close anyway).

I think I will look at an MKVI R later this year or early next year. Don't need the latest model, I just want to have something under warranty. I have been seriously considering something like a C63 or M3 but I would be buying a few years old and heard a horror story about a C63 recently.

spitex
GTiR wannabe

Post by spitex » Fri 23 Aug, 2013 8:29 am

Would still buy a C63 over a M3 anyday.