[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4769: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4771: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
redlineAU.com • View topic - 2003 VY S Commodore
redlineAU.com Search Search - FAQ

Messages Login

It is currently Fri 18 Jan, 2019 5:22 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: 2003 VY S Commodore
PostPosted: Thu 01 Aug, 2013 1:59 pm 
might be a Holden?

I haven't really done one of these since selling the VE so here goes.

After the drama's I had with the VE (never buy an early VE V6) I flicked it to go back to one of the better model Commodores around. I found this one owner car (older guy too) with a full service history and a folder full of receipts for anything it's ever needed.

Some of the details -

Model: 2003 VY S
Colour: Red... i think they call it Red Hot?
Bodykit: Stock VY S kit, although this one for some reason has factory SS fog lamps and the SS front bar.
Engine Type: V6 L36
Engine Mods: Stock internals
Power: Stock 152kw
Exhaust: Stock
Gearbox: Stock 4L60E
Diff: Stock LSD
Brakes: DBA T2 Street slotted rotors front & rear, QFM HPX Police spec pads front, QFM HPX Rears, Penrite Super Dot 4 Racing
Suspension: FE2 struts/springs, Whiteline 30mm swaybar front, SuperPro radius rod & control arm bushes, SuperPro rear camber adjustment kit.
Wheels/Tyres: Stock VY S 16" alloys with Michelin Pilot Sport 3 (225/50R16)
Interior: Stock Red interior
Other Mods: Not a mod, but the car was bought as a one owner vehicle 18 months ago. Was an older gentlemans car and everything it has ever needed has been done. I'm continuing to maintain it to the highest standard I can.
Stereo: Stock.
Build Period: 18 months so far
Cost: $7500 bought privately, just thrown $2500ish at it for upgrades
Contacts: GSL Rallysport/Brakes Direct, Jax Quickfit Browns Plains, Driveline Services (BLV), My own hard labour
Future Mods: Future would be a set of coilovers, some gauges, and some track time.

At 208,000km it had a broken engine mount, so it got a full service, new engine mounts, transmission mount and a full auto service.

I actually don't really have any photo's of it but i'm sure everyone knows what a red commodore looks like

Post subject: Re: 2003 VY S Commodore
PostPosted: Thu 01 Aug, 2013 2:34 pm 
GTiR wannabe

Drives:
Project threads are nothing without pictures.

PostPosted: Thu 01 Aug, 2013 7:32 pm 
5000RPM

Drives:
^^^ What he said...

PostPosted: Thu 01 Aug, 2013 8:05 pm 
I love lamp

Drives:
X3

98 200sx
04 Forester XT
99 Hilux ute (woohoo!)

PostPosted: Thu 01 Aug, 2013 9:22 pm 
Permantly Unavailable

Location: deep in the mists of boost, far beyond the thick cloud of tyre smoke
Drives:
x4

PostPosted: Thu 01 Aug, 2013 10:01 pm 
glass always half empty

Drives:

PostPosted: Fri 02 Aug, 2013 8:58 am 
pants

Drives:
hah, Iano made a funny

Latest survey shows that 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the world's population

PostPosted: Fri 02 Aug, 2013 5:29 pm 
male housemaid

waits for X6 photo

PostPosted: Fri 02 Aug, 2013 5:46 pm 
glass always half empty

Drives:
Didn't post the x3 and won't post the x6 as both are complete vomitoria...

PostPosted: Sat 03 Aug, 2013 3:28 am 
Nice WRX Fuckhead

Drives:
The X6 M is horn.

PostPosted: Sat 03 Aug, 2013 7:43 am 
might be a Holden?

Ok... some pics...

More to come over the next few days.

Attachments:
529615_10150713913864803_1744297013_n.jpg
529615_10150713913864803_1744297013_n.jpg [ 124.23 KiB | Viewed 12784 times ]
417770_10150571833619803_1500362925_n.jpg
417770_10150571833619803_1500362925_n.jpg [ 82.43 KiB | Viewed 12784 times ]

PostPosted: Sat 03 Aug, 2013 8:56 am 
glass always half empty

Drives:
I do like the red ones - those that've been well cared for. That colour can look so good with a proper buff/polish. How is it running with 210 on the clock? Inlaws still have their 98 Commo acclaim which has similar mileage and the motor barely feels tired at all. Same with gearbox. Their mechanic reckons it'll see double those kays if well looked after.

However, the bloody thing seems to constantly pop radiator hoses, coolant tank leaks etc. Assume this is common....

PostPosted: Sat 03 Aug, 2013 11:29 am 
might be a Holden?

Yeah it has come up pretty good when attacked with some of the Poorboys range.

As for how it's going with 210k's... fine. It's not using much oil at all (they all do, this just doesn't burn much at all), auto shifts fine, and with all the upgrades to brakes/bushes/tyres/suspension it handles great. It has had a full service history on the dot or early its whole life, so goes to say alot for a commodore that's been looked after.

Touch wood I haven't had any cooling system issues with it, but then it's had a water pump done about 2 years ago just before I bought it. The biggest issue with these things hoses wise is that they're massively long hoses, and exposed to a degree to stone damage for the lower hose.

I'll be holding on to this one for a while I think.

I had said that about the VE, but when it threw up a code for crankshaft/camshaft phasing error, I flicked it. Basically Holden's story was that it was a problem with the early alloytec's used in Commodore/Rodeo/Captiva that they only used a 7mm timing chain on them and it stretched. This also caused wear to the guides. At the time of me asking, there were something like 640 of the guide kits on backorder. It would have been 3 months before they could have booked me in for it, and the cost was going to be $2800.

The thing I love about the VY was that they'd had plenty of time with the L36 Ecotec engine to iron out the bugs and although it was computer controlled engine, it was very crude computer control so it doesn't require a rocket scientist to work on it. And lets face it, Holden don't do electronics well. They also in my eyes, nailed the looks of it in their performance models. The basic VY isn't anything special, but the S & SS models really look great, and still do.

PostPosted: Sun 18 Aug, 2013 4:57 pm 
might be a Holden?

Finally got some better shots.

From the Demons on the Park car & bike show on the weekend.

Attachments:
DSC_0033Large.jpg
DSC_0033Large.jpg [ 123.11 KiB | Viewed 12709 times ]
DSC_0029Large.jpg
DSC_0029Large.jpg [ 131.57 KiB | Viewed 12709 times ]
DSC_0142Large.jpg
DSC_0142Large.jpg [ 112.28 KiB | Viewed 12709 times ]

PostPosted: Sun 18 Aug, 2013 5:25 pm 
glass always half empty

Drives:
Clean car, fugly looking plates....

Sorry - just telling how it is. Amazing how just a small bit of metal can really make a car stand out for better or worse.

Oh, you picked the right detailing products too :wink For some reason Poorboys & red go brilliantly.

PostPosted: Sun 18 Aug, 2013 5:30 pm 
5000RPM

Drives:
Needs wheels. Heh

PostPosted: Sun 18 Aug, 2013 7:30 pm 
might be a Holden?

Ian, agreed that the plates suck. I don't want to go fully personalised because I want to keep the car as original in appearance as I can, and they are the original plates issued when it was new. I also cannot justify $415 to change them over to Red/White ones.

It has come up pretty well. I just love the Poorboys stuff because it is so easy to work with, and cheap. And as you say, works brilliantly on red.

Trent... I did look into wheels... spent hours and hours choosing ones then thought I'd rather keep the thing original. If anything I might eventually upgrade to some 18" VY SS wheels or some other genuine holden ones, like they'd have been an upgrade.

PostPosted: Sun 15 Sep, 2013 6:03 pm 
might be a Holden?

From GM Mania event at Willowbank

Attachments:
GOPR0801.jpg
GOPR0801.jpg [ 35.49 KiB | Viewed 12572 times ]

PostPosted: Sun 15 Sep, 2013 6:49 pm 
Intuition

I've seen iano take better photos than that.

PostPosted: Sun 15 Sep, 2013 6:53 pm 
might be a Holden?

I never ever professed to be any good with a camera... it was at the end of the day, with only a GoPro on a tripod held up in the air and trying to use my phone as the remote.