GU patrol

Projects undertaken by redlineAU members to improve various aspects of their cars.
dan
argument inc
Drives: German's mum........

GU patrol

Post by dan » Thu 27 Nov, 2014 2:44 pm

time for a new project thread..! i have wanted a 4wd for ages, and once i got buying a property out of the way i bought one. initially i bought a GQ patrol that was/is in mint condition (1988 model, only 190,000km, never been on beach, etc), but was very close to stock standard, being 24yo it was a bit of a pig for the missus to drive, and it was hampered by its petrol/LPG tb42 carby engine which badly limited the off-road touring range. i was pretty keen to throw a few mods on it, but like any modified car you never get your money back when you sell. plus the petrol/LPG thing - short of strapping two dozen bbq cylinders to the roof, there isn't much you can do to improve LPG range. the cost of swapping in a turbo diesel 6cyl was pretty reasonable and it would increase the value of the car by about what it'd cost, but i cbf-ed with the hassle.

so i umm'd and ahh'd for months, looked at a heap of different GQ's, GU's, 78 cruisers and 105 cruisers.... and in the end bought this:

is a 2010 GU Patrol with a 3.0ltr CRD turbo diesel 4cyl, 5sp manual, 53,000km on the clock. it has a shitload of mods, all done by the first owner who paid Nissan to do them for him. i reckon it would have cost him about $15-20k for the mods, plus labour, plus the cost of the car. i picked it up for $33k, which is close to what a standard one is worth. mods include

2" lift & steering dampner
factory steel bullbar
front & rear recovery points
vrs 12,000lb winch
under-body bash plate
lightforce 140 spotties
polaris ng7700 double din gps w/off-road hema maps & reversing camera
dual heavy duty batteries + redarc isolator
baintech 12v distribution board in the boot
electronic rust protection
boost/egt/water temp guages
dawes valve to prevent boost spike
super long range fuel tank
3" turbo-back exhaust
turbo timer
npc single-mass clutch
arb air compressor
arb front air locker
airtec snorkel
full length roof rack
arb awning
shovel holder
window tints
wetsuit-material seat covers

only stuff left for me to do is a uhf radio, a cargo barrier, some 33" muddies when the A/T tyres wear out, a few LED work lights and maybe upgrade the spotties.

i have only had it for 4wks and it has already been over to straddie and moreton. it goes great on the sand - way more poke than the GQ. have only needed to break out the maxtrax once, in the blue lagoon carpark lol. am keen to get it into the bush and drive a few trails next year.
camo means mogg, and mogg means business

tipper
male housemaid

Re: GU patrol

Post by tipper » Thu 27 Nov, 2014 5:22 pm

Nice mate.

cGr
Intuition

Post by cGr » Thu 27 Nov, 2014 7:43 pm

Looks good. Looks like fun too. Enjoy.

Ted
1000RPM

Post by Ted » Thu 27 Nov, 2014 7:45 pm

Looks clean.

Have 4 on the Motorschool fleet (2013 model) and we noticed fairly early that the auto hubs were actually releasing momentarily on reverse stalls. Aftermarket hubs fixed this, but they are now manual hubs (which is actually a good thing being that the 3L td needs too many revs on board to do much, so I sometimes put it in low range but 2WD when reversing up some driveways)
Motorsport is a disease, where the only cure is poverty.

blv
Permantly Unavailable
Drives: MTB
Location: deep in the mists of boost, far beyond the thick cloud of tyre smoke

Post by blv » Thu 27 Nov, 2014 8:24 pm

Nice buy, and has plenty of goodies. I would have chosen what you did out of the list too
I just don't know if people like me. I know when they don't like me 'cause they'll say things like, 'Yeah, that's him, officer.'

daBOODA
Mr. Diplomacy
Drives: sda0

Post by daBOODA » Fri 28 Nov, 2014 9:02 am

Woot! Time to go surf fishing!
"The argument doesn't work with me. Go back to your cracker jack lifestyle and I'll meet you at the evolutionary bell curve ... I'll be sitting there a while, it's kind of a tortoise and the hare story." - Bill Hicks

SecaBoy
Mr Indecisive

Post by SecaBoy » Fri 28 Nov, 2014 9:24 am

seems like a great buy! good job. :)

really wanna buy a 4wd lately. what made you decide between all of them?
1991 Toyota Corolla Seca ==> SOLD
2001 Subaru Impreza WRX ==> SOLD
2006 Honda Accord Euro Luxury ==> SOLD
1990 Nissan Silvia RB20DET ==> SOLD
2008 Toyota TRD Aurion 3500SL ==> SOLD
2010 Ford Falcon XR6T ==> SOLD
:cry
2016 VW Polo 81TSI DSG

iano
glass always half empty
Drives: by my own accord

Post by iano » Fri 28 Nov, 2014 11:04 am

Serious rig. Have fun in Cape York.
This isn't life, it's just stuff. And it's become more important to you than living. Well, honey, that's just nuts

spitex
GTiR wannabe
Drives: FPV F6

Post by spitex » Fri 28 Nov, 2014 11:15 am

Bit jelly ...

dan
argument inc

Post by dan » Fri 28 Nov, 2014 11:52 am

arg, typed a big reply and then my work computer fscked itself.

ted; yeah i have heard that a bit. i am loving not having to get out of the car to lock hubs though..!!

eric; already been twice ;)

ash; short answer is i wanted something near new, with a heap of mods and low km for around $30k, and this was the best rig i could find. long answer is that if you want a tough 4wd, then a patrol or landcruiser is pretty much your only good options. there is a lot of variation in price due to the engine/drivetrain though, and generally the diesels are the ones you want because big heavy cars will use around 20ltr/100km of petrol vs around 13ltr/100km for diesel. yep they cost more to buy, but they are better off-road, the resale is generally better. if you are on a tight budget the petrols are not the worst option, but i wasn't considering one given part of the reason for buying was because i didn't like the touring range in my petrol/LPG GQ.

the 4.2ltr (TD42) turbo diesel GU patrol and 4.2ltr (1HDT) turbo diesel 100 series landcruiser are the best ones to get, but because they are so in demand they cost $45-55k for a good one. after that the 3.0ltr CRD turbo diesel GU patrol and 4.2ltr (1HZ) n/a 100 series landcruiser are good, and are both $27-35k. avoid at all costs the 2001-2003 3.0ltr patrols, and be wary of the 2004-2006 3.0ltr DI patrols - they have engine problems that seem to have been resolved with the CRD.

other things i considered - a v8 turbo diesel 78 series landcruiser wagon, but the leaf springs in the rear limit the on-road comfort and off-road ability. a recent model prado, but hard to find with mods. a 80 series landcruiser or GQ patrol with the same 4.2ltr turbo diesel motors, but very hard to find with under 250,000km at a fair price. jeep wranglers are very capable, well priced, and can get heaps of great mods for cheap from the USA, but are too small for decent camping trips. landrover defenders look cool and are very capable, but there is a question mark over their reliability and they are not cheap to buy. and finally a pajero is really really good buying if all you want to do is beach work and a few muddy tracks but they are not too good for the difficult stuff.

dan
argument inc

Post by dan » Fri 28 Nov, 2014 12:15 pm

the fuel light finally came on yesterday arvo, so i filled it up this morning to see how big the long-range fuel tank is.... it took 133 odd L, so i guess it is a 140L tank?? plus 30L in the subtank. so car should be good for a 1,200km range. took nearly 20mins to fill up with lo-flow diesel hahaha.

Ted
1000RPM

Post by Ted » Fri 28 Nov, 2014 1:39 pm

I think they are normally a 145L for a long range tank. That 30L sub tank would hardly make a dent on the fuel gauge of yours. Also watch your 145L flotation device sitting underneath, but you do have a lift kit.

I have the video somewhere of doing testing on the Patrol ute with GVM upgrade kit (3.6t from memory). One of the tests we had to do was the lane change or moose test. Opposite locking a full weight Patrol at 120km/h gave a few heart flutters but it did it fine. Stopping one of them from 80km/h on bitumen was actually scarier - 83m it took.
Motorsport is a disease, where the only cure is poverty.

SecaBoy
Mr Indecisive

Post by SecaBoy » Fri 28 Nov, 2014 1:40 pm

did you look at the new challengers?
1991 Toyota Corolla Seca ==> SOLD
2001 Subaru Impreza WRX ==> SOLD
2006 Honda Accord Euro Luxury ==> SOLD
1990 Nissan Silvia RB20DET ==> SOLD
2008 Toyota TRD Aurion 3500SL ==> SOLD
2010 Ford Falcon XR6T ==> SOLD
:cry
2016 VW Polo 81TSI DSG

iano
glass always half empty
Drives: by my own accord

Post by iano » Fri 28 Nov, 2014 2:36 pm

Challengers kick arse off road but are let down by a tiny fuel tank. Can't really take them anywhere without an extra 4 jerry cans to get you by. From what I've heard the seats aren't very comfortable either.
This isn't life, it's just stuff. And it's become more important to you than living. Well, honey, that's just nuts

dan
argument inc

Post by dan » Fri 28 Nov, 2014 3:09 pm

Ted wrote:I think they are normally a 145L for a long range tank. That 30L sub tank would hardly make a dent on the fuel gauge of yours. Also watch your 145L flotation device sitting underneath, but you do have a lift kit.

I have the video somewhere of doing testing on the Patrol ute with GVM upgrade kit (3.6t from memory). One of the tests we had to do was the lane change or moose test. Opposite locking a full weight Patrol at 120km/h gave a few heart flutters but it did it fine. Stopping one of them from 80km/h on bitumen was actually scarier - 83m it took.
yeah the 30L doesn't do much!! nice to have there as a safety net though. that sort of driving would scare the sh*t out of me ted..! it is a bit of a handful in soft sand where the track wanders around a bit. swinging it sideways at 120kph..... nup.

dan
argument inc

Post by dan » Fri 28 Nov, 2014 3:11 pm

ash; nah i didn't. i didn't want a ute-type truck. a challenger is basically a mitsubishi triton wagon with a coil spring rear end and a wagon body. the tritons seem to go alright so they can't be that bad. they are IFS so i wouldn't say that they "kick ass" off-road... but they'll be pretty good.

unwritten law
MILF Hunter!

Post by unwritten law » Fri 28 Nov, 2014 7:30 pm

Looks like a very nice buy. Should call yourself con the fruiterer with all of that fruit on there mate. Can't wait to snatch you out one day :P
GRY32
GRYXXXII

Evan
Nice WRX Fuckhead
Drives: audi. what a c##t!

Post by Evan » Sat 27 Dec, 2014 9:06 pm

i saw a unimog on the gold coast the other day. you should have bought one of them instead.
aka gti-R

dan
argument inc

Post by dan » Wed 31 Dec, 2014 10:30 pm

This flexes better than a unimog

dan
argument inc

Post by dan » Sun 07 Feb, 2016 11:00 am

Got some new tyres, seem great so far. Not too noisy on the highway and good grip on the bitumen. A trip to landcruiser mountain park was on the cards but our future bundle of joy put an end to that. Tried hacketts first but they were $100/Cnr more than Brisbane mobile tyres at nundah