Riding - Mountain/Road for health & hobby info request

Got something you wanna know about fixing/improving your house or your quality of life? Or just info to share?
spitex
GTiR wannabe
Drives: FPV F6

Riding - Mountain/Road for health & hobby info request

Post by spitex » Mon 07 Mar, 2011 2:24 pm

So who knows anything about bikes - mountain/road or inbetween?

I am looking for some low impact cardio exercise that I can partake in that will allow me to both do it for fitness and hobby purposes.

I want to ride casually during the week, just around my local area - there's plenty of places to do that but ultimately I am interested in some motivation/assistance/riding partners too to do lengthy rides on weekends. Sure, we can start slow but I do want to do this pretty seriously.

What bikes should I be looking at? Something that will support a FC like me? What price ranges? Where from?

I do love road bikes, but I also like mountain bikes and the freedom they offer in using messy bike tracks etc.

Also, if anyone else is interested? speak now! :D

daBOODA
Mr. Diplomacy
Drives: sda0

Post by daBOODA » Mon 07 Mar, 2011 2:33 pm

I'm interested but I have no bike racks on my car :P
"The argument doesn't work with me. Go back to your cracker jack lifestyle and I'll meet you at the evolutionary bell curve ... I'll be sitting there a while, it's kind of a tortoise and the hare story." - Bill Hicks

spitex
GTiR wannabe

Post by spitex » Mon 07 Mar, 2011 2:42 pm

daBOODA wrote:I'm interested but I have no bike racks on my car :P
I will buy them if I need them mate. I don't really care - I just want to do this really seriously.

daBOODA
Mr. Diplomacy

Post by daBOODA » Mon 07 Mar, 2011 3:08 pm

If this becomes a regular thing then I might look into getting some. I need to get the right tow bar for the Honda as the one that the dealer gave me doesn't fit the car doh!

Either way I'm keen. I could take the wheels off and shove it in my boot if you want to go around where you live. It'd be more interesting up there me thinks.

As for what kind of bike I'd suggest that you just go to a dealer and explain your needs. When I bought my bike I was concerned about my weight breaking the thing as I had bought a cheap bike in the past and snapped the pedal off eek! The dealer showed me three bikes of differing price that would support me and I picked one.

I bought mine from a local shop but there are a few bike heads here in the office and I hear them talk about 99 bikes a lot.
"The argument doesn't work with me. Go back to your cracker jack lifestyle and I'll meet you at the evolutionary bell curve ... I'll be sitting there a while, it's kind of a tortoise and the hare story." - Bill Hicks

spitex
GTiR wannabe

Post by spitex » Mon 07 Mar, 2011 3:10 pm

Rob & Matt? :P

Yeh ... I know lots of bike peeps too.

I was going to pop into The Gap cycle shop but I just wanted to be pointed in the direction of some suggestions by friends first.

What kind of bike do you have boods? Road? Mountain? Hybrid?

daBOODA
Mr. Diplomacy

Post by daBOODA » Mon 07 Mar, 2011 3:27 pm

spite wrote:What kind of bike do you have boods? Road? Mountain? Hybrid?
I have a mountain bike. It has front suspension doo hickeys. They're fun.

I wanted a mountain bike so I could go on the footpath/nature strip easier. I don't want to be one of those dicks that take up half a car lane

German
plays the skin flute
Drives: Ms Piggy.. Dans GF

Post by German » Mon 07 Mar, 2011 3:33 pm

If I could last 5mins on a bike without having a 3rd degree heart attack I would definitely join.

Ry, only get a road bike if you want to shave your legs it's mandatory that you do. :lol:
dan wrote:i suck- please carry on! :)

trillion
3000RPM

Post by trillion » Mon 07 Mar, 2011 3:57 pm

wanna get a team together for the ride to conquer cancer?

http://www.conquercancer.org.au

it happens August 20-21

I was looking for a team of fatties to get going with so i wasn't let for dead by people like Cam

cGr
Intuition

Post by cGr » Mon 07 Mar, 2011 4:13 pm

This is my kind of thread :D

Quite a few of my friends and family have taken up cycling in the past year or so and they all love it. The thing I like is that it is easily achievable to rack up 30kays in a ride which means that unlike running, you can actually get somewhere and see a few things on the way, rather than just a loop of the city. A really common/easy ride is out to Nudgee and back (30kays return from Shaw Road). The Kedron Brook bike path goes the whole way out there (no riding on busy roads!) and it is dead flat. If you want to build up to the full 30 there are good places to stop and turn around on the way.

boods: I can fit my road bike in the back of the clio (though the rear seats go dead flat). A friend fits his bike in the back seat of his car with the front wheel off. You shouldnt need to outlay the cash for racks :) Besides which, I reckon spite could fit a dozen bikes in the back of the Pajero!

As for bikes? There is soooooooooooo many variables.

Proper road bikes are a bit full-on for a lot of people, but you can part out certain bits to make them more comfortable. You can get wider tyres than the regular skinny ones, a flat-bar rather than the curved jobbies, better gearing, etc, etc.

Hybrid's are a good, comfortable option for touring, and incorporate a bit from the road bike world (thinner tyres, better gearing and components) and a bit from the mountain bike world (frame geometry to make them comfortable, bars, etc).

Mountain bikes are great for the dirt, but mega hard work on the bitumen. You can get slick tyres for them which does make them a bit easier to ride, but they are still not as easy/enjoyable to ride on a footpath as a hybrid, or roadie with flat bars and fatter wheels.

I wouldnt be too concerned about the frame strength, new frames (and the materials they are made from) are plenty strong. I would say that a comfortable seat is a worthwhile investment for the more *ahem* hefty gentleman!

Apart from the frame, the most important aspect of the bike is the running gear (gears, shifters, brakes, cranks, etc). In general, there will always be several options for a specific type of bike on the market, and generally speaking, more expensive is better, will last longer, be nicer to use, etc. That doesnt mean you need to get the most expensive stuff, but if you plan on riding it a bit, then get something a bit better than the cheapest stuff. Once again, get something that you like, feels nice to use, etc.

99bikes ( http://www.99bikes.com.au/ ) are a good place to start, but like all bike stores, they will only stock the brands they have agreements with (Scott, Apollo, Merida), so you are stuck with those brands.

Planet Cycles ( http://www.planetcycles.com.au/ ) over at Woolloongabba have a great range of all types of bikes, and will happily sell you a bike as long as its a Cannondale, Giant or Specialized. nb They used to sell Trek, but were dealing with ~20warranty claims a week on them. Dont buy a trek, they were good but now they are crap. A friend rides a Cannondale Badboy to and from work and loves it, I would strongly recommend looking at one of these as a good compromise between a road bike and mountain bike. It's got disc brakes and suspension too, just to make it a bit more comfortable.

The last place I'd recommend is Velo bikes ( http://velo.net.au/ ) over at Wilston. A friend bought his wife a bike there, and whilst they stock a good range of bikes, they are slightly higher end so only go there if there is a specific bike which you are after.

Another good, generic, website is http://www.bikeexchange.com.au. Think of it like a staticice.com.au for bikes. It will give you a good idea of pricing for bikes, as well as stockists for particular bikes.

I've gone through boggo road bike hub and its like walking in to mcdonalds and paying cha cha char prices for food. Not a big fan.

A few things:
- Just like all cars drive differently, all bikes ride differently. Some will be more comfortable, some will feel easier to ride, others will feel faster. If its not comfortable/enjoyable to ride/looks good, then dont bother getting it. You want to enjoy it as a sport, so get something you like.
- The flipside of the argument above is to make sure you ride a heap of bikes to find out what you do and dont like.
- Get a comfy seat and good helmet.
- Get a puncture repair kit, or at least have someone willing to come pick you up from the back end of nowhere when you get a flat.
- I can guarantee that you will hate the look/idea of bike shorts, but I know soooo many people who have started riding, got a sore arse, and then gone out and bought a pair. Even if you buy a pair of mountain bike shorts which look like a regular pair of shorts, but have the bike shorts built in, they will save sore arse, rubbing seams and a lot of pain on your man bits.
Last edited by cGr on Mon 07 Mar, 2011 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cGr
Intuition

Post by cGr » Mon 07 Mar, 2011 4:16 pm

trillion wrote:wanna get a team together for the ride to conquer cancer?

http://www.conquercancer.org.au

it happens August 20-21

I was looking for a team of fatties to get going with so i wasn't let for dead by people like Cam
I've seen that ride, but was put off by the minimum $2500 fundraising requirement.

Great Brisbane Bike Ride is a great social ride to start with that anyone can do. It's great fun and is good motivation to get out and ride.

daBOODA
Mr. Diplomacy

Post by daBOODA » Mon 07 Mar, 2011 4:21 pm

cGr wrote: - I can guarantee that you will hate the look/idea of bike shorts, but I know soooo many people who have started riding, got a sore arse, and then gone out and bought a pair. Even if you buy a pair of mountain bike shorts which look like a regular pair of shorts, but have the bike shorts built in, they will save sore arse, rubbing seams and a lot of pain on your man bits.
^ You can still where regular shorts over the bike shorts though, right?

I couldn't find nix in my size so I gave up and just put up with the chaffing >_<

cGr
Intuition

Post by cGr » Mon 07 Mar, 2011 4:32 pm

You can wear regular shorts over the top, but I find that the inner leg seam on normal shorts is what rubs/chaffs/hurts the most, so if you can get a pair of mountain bike shorts with the bike shorts sewn in, they will have thought of things like this.

You can get XXL (102 waist) off the shelf at most places, and I've seen some brands go to XXXL. They are worth a look if you want to ride on a regular basis. I've ridden my bike a couple of kays to the post office/shops in the past in normal shorts, and gotten home with a sore arse and chaffing.
daBOODA wrote:I couldn't find nix in my size so I gave up and just put up with the chaffing >_<
Look at you all up with the lingo. :lol:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk for all cheap things bike. Parts, clothes, etc are all at least half price from here compared to what you pay in the local bike shop.

trillion
3000RPM

Post by trillion » Mon 07 Mar, 2011 4:35 pm

is it that much even with the $200 registration? what a gouge

the padded pants are good if you find a fitting pair otherwise the jockey trunks are the next best chaff stopper
Last edited by trillion on Mon 07 Mar, 2011 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cGr
Intuition

Post by cGr » Mon 07 Mar, 2011 4:36 pm

http://www.conquercancer.org.au/site/Pa ... _fundraise
With our support you will not only raise an incredible amount of money for cancer research, but also be completely ready to cycle the most meaningful journey of your life. Cyclists are required to raise a minimum of $2,500 in donations.

We know that sounds challenging. However, most of you are going to be surprised at how quickly the donations add up once you put your heart, creativity, and commitment into the effort. The key is getting started if you haven't already. More funds raised means more support for critical cancer fighting efforts at the Queensland Institute of Medical Research.

daBOODA
Mr. Diplomacy

Post by daBOODA » Mon 07 Mar, 2011 4:38 pm

cGr wrote:
daBOODA wrote:I couldn't find nix in my size so I gave up and just put up with the chaffing >_<
Look at you all up with the lingo. :lol:
That word was the first thing I learned while searching for a solution to my 'red as a fire engine' crotch rot!

102 waist is SMALL for me lol I'm 122 atm.

spitex
GTiR wannabe

Post by spitex » Mon 07 Mar, 2011 4:43 pm

Anyone wanna come bike shopping on the weekend?

Cameron, thanks for your insight. Please refer to us as 'FC's' :P We know what it is, and i'm sure you can figure it out.

I know for a fact that road bikes feel like about 10% of the work of a mountain bike when riding lengthy distances but I am just unsure whether I would be happy bound only to tarmac.

I think I will end up with a Hybrid.

Cameron, what do you think would be a fair starting budget for a hybrid bike that's FC friendly?

I would also need a Type Pump/Water bottle thingo and a helmet.

I don't want to skimp, I want to buy the right stuff first time so I have no excuses for not wanting to ride.

SecaBoy
Mr Indecisive

Post by SecaBoy » Mon 07 Mar, 2011 4:47 pm

cGr wrote:- I can guarantee that you will hate the look/idea of bike shorts, but I know soooo many people who have started riding, got a sore arse, and then gone out and bought a pair. Even if you buy a pair of mountain bike shorts which look like a regular pair of shorts, but have the bike shorts built in, they will save sore arse, rubbing seams and a lot of pain on your man bits.
REALLY!?!?!

so the pain is because of the shorts i wear and not the seat or my lack of meat on my ass???? :lol:

i never knew that!
unless i mis-read what you said... :?

ryan, i could be interested... i'd have to work on my fitness level first though.... dont think i could last 1km, let alone 30kms... :lol:
1991 Toyota Corolla Seca ==> SOLD
2001 Subaru Impreza WRX ==> SOLD
2006 Honda Accord Euro Luxury ==> SOLD
1990 Nissan Silvia RB20DET ==> SOLD
2008 Toyota TRD Aurion 3500SL ==> SOLD
2010 Ford Falcon XR6T ==> SOLD
:cry
2016 VW Polo 81TSI DSG

spitex
GTiR wannabe

Post by spitex » Mon 07 Mar, 2011 4:55 pm

SecaBoy wrote:
ryan, i could be interested... i'd have to work on my fitness level first though.... dont think i could last 1km, let alone 30kms... :lol:
LOL - join the club mate. Just looking for some people to have to whip eachother around when we're not behaving or pulling our weight.

Jesters13
Annoyingous Maximus

Post by Jesters13 » Mon 07 Mar, 2011 5:07 pm

I'm in riding too.

Intially I thought I'd buy a hybrid but after taking quite a few for a test ride the road was so much lighter and I felt alot more comfortable. I bought my bike in the city and I was living at wynnum I'd thought I'd just catch tge train home, bf decided to ride home it was the first time I'd been on a bike in a very long time but I made it although took awhile. You will be very suprised at how far you can ride.

In terms of beginners I would head to a 99 bikes or even gold cross have some reasonably ok bikes and test quite a few. In terms of cost, you can spend a few hundred dollars n get something that will last a few months or higher n close to $1k that will be much better running gear n lighter.

I can do some googling n see what I can find for ya n put sone links up later tonight. It really depends on if you want to make a long term investment in ur bike or not.

Ohh the thing about the knicks, they feel funny bit certainly do help in protecting ur backside. A few guys I know wear shorts over the top but eventually just wear the knicks.

Maybe we can organise a casual ride with those that are keen, somewhere when u get a bike and we can go for coffee.
Redlineau's "little ray of sunshine"

iano
glass always half empty
Drives: by my own accord

Post by iano » Mon 07 Mar, 2011 5:12 pm

Hey Ry, Gap Cycle Shops the one in the village ie coles ie Nandos etc? It's been there for years and I've heard very good reports about it. Might be worth a look? You could ride it home :P