Riding - Mountain/Road for health & hobby info request

Got something you wanna know about fixing/improving your house or your quality of life? Or just info to share?
blv
Permantly Unavailable
Drives: MTB
Location: deep in the mists of boost, far beyond the thick cloud of tyre smoke

Re: Riding - Mountain/Road for health & hobby info request

Post by blv » Sun 12 Jun, 2016 9:24 pm

What sort of easy ride, on or off-road?
I just don't know if people like me. I know when they don't like me 'cause they'll say things like, 'Yeah, that's him, officer.'

Eu-GenixX
5000RPM
Drives: CJ Lancer VR

Post by Eu-GenixX » Sun 12 Jun, 2016 9:58 pm

Off road.

blv
Permantly Unavailable

Post by blv » Mon 13 Jun, 2016 6:07 am

If you want to stick to smoother trails I would recommend a Hardtail. If you wanted to get into more technical riding with rock gardens and jumps, go a dual suspension. Either way I'd recommend something with disc brakes as they are much better at stopping you. What's your budget?
I just don't know if people like me. I know when they don't like me 'cause they'll say things like, 'Yeah, that's him, officer.'

blv
Permantly Unavailable

Post by blv » Sat 18 Jun, 2016 9:20 pm

Hugged a tree this morning at Mt Joyce! Came through a few rollers and didn't suck the bike up enough on the last one so as I went over the crest my front wheel came off the ground and by the time it landed I couldn't avoid the tree! Few scratches, slight bruise and some mad GoPro footage!

wrx
Self appointed rAU God
Drives: the bus to hell

Post by wrx » Sun 19 Jun, 2016 5:39 am

That is almost exactly how I broke my last set of carbon bars :)
ImageImageImageImage

Circuit PB's: | Sprint = 52.9 | Clubman = 56.0 | National = 1:15.3| Sportsman = 53.7| Lakeside = 54.8

blv
Permantly Unavailable

Post by blv » Sun 19 Jun, 2016 7:48 am

The alloy ones stood up alright!!

cGr
Intuition

Post by cGr » Mon 20 Jun, 2016 7:16 pm

Great pic!

blv
Permantly Unavailable

Post by blv » Mon 20 Jun, 2016 8:19 pm

Eu-GenixX
5000RPM
Drives: CJ Lancer VR

Post by Eu-GenixX » Thu 30 Jun, 2016 9:44 am

blv wrote:If you want to stick to smoother trails I would recommend a Hardtail. If you wanted to get into more technical riding with rock gardens and jumps, go a dual suspension. Either way I'd recommend something with disc brakes as they are much better at stopping you. What's your budget?
Not sure on budget actually. I'm a pussy so soft trails would be my thing.

blv
Permantly Unavailable

Post by blv » Thu 30 Jun, 2016 1:01 pm

You can get decent quality second hand hardtails around $300-$400. A high spec second hand is around $1000.

Dual suspension decent is $1000-$1500 second hand, mid spec is $2000-$3000 and high spec is $3500+

DreamensioN
4000RPM
Drives: Golf R

Post by DreamensioN » Fri 01 Jul, 2016 10:55 am

Anybody here doing the Brisbane to Gold Coast? (Steve?)

I signed up last week. The goal this year is to beat 3hrs 19min active time (which is last years time).

In other news - I got some new road wheels. The bike came with Shimano RS81 C24 wheels which are fantastic....when they work. I've just had a lot of problems with them, and partly due to my weight (as in...I'm too heavy for the wheels). They are very light weight carbon wheels with an alloy braking surface, but they aren't really meant to be used day in day out everyday (which is what I've been doing with them). My first problem was the rear bearing let go 3 months after I got the bike. That was fixed under warranty. Then the bearing let go again... and again... it was replaced under warranty. Then... during a Mt Cootha decent earlier this year, the carbon resin melted on my front wheel. Guy at the bike shop said he had never seen that before on a wheel with an alloy braking surface. In a way I was kind of proud that I got the front wheel up to that temp. But it was also annoying as the carbon bulged out and I had to open the front brake caliper to get home.

Again - that wheel was totally replaced under warranty.

Then just recently...in the last couple of months, I've had problems now with my rear wheel coming out of true after a normal ride. I had it retrued several times, and even had a go at it myself - but it just kept popping out.

So now I'm done with those wheels. Over it. I went and got some uber hand built wheels from Craftworx. Craftworx is run by a guy called Steve that knows about bike wheels like Einstein knew about the theory of relativity. I got the Speed Pro 2 HD wheels from him. All alloy, but the same weight as my carbon shimano's. Where the Shimano's had a 16F/20R spoke count, these Craftworx ones have a 24F/28R spoke count. And are all uber DT Swiss and H-Plus Son Archetype parts. Fully hand built, lifetime guarantee.

What made the deal sweeter at the moment is that they were on sale (marked down $500 for the set). And they look mint. Like... absolute mint. Steve reckons they'll ride better aswell because they're 23mm wide and with a 25C tyre, the tyre is "flatter" across the rim which equals better comfort, handling and grip. They're same same width as some expensive Zipp wheels and he explained it to me but I was too busy looking at the awesome build quality to pay full attention. He showed me on my Shimano wheels how they're narrower and where the tyre bulged out because it had to "squeeze" into the rim.

Anyway... point is - I'm now rolling around on some Craftworx hand made wheels, and he's relacing and totally redoing up the rear Shimano wheel I had problems with. I'll keep that as a spare for now, but will use the Craftworx rims for the weekly rides.

If you need/want some high quality, custom made wheels (or if you need a wheel rebuilt) - I can't recommend this guy enough. http://craftworx.com.au/

blv
Permantly Unavailable

Post by blv » Fri 01 Jul, 2016 11:13 am

16/20 is a really low spoke count, but I'm not into road so that may be common. I'm running 32 spoke count DT Swiss rims on my dually and they look like a 50c coin from having more hits than the Beatles. Thing is though, I still run tubes, and haven't pinch flatted since upgrading rear tyre to an EXO casing. So if I'm not pinch flatting, I can't be hitting the rim on the ground too hard, so rims must be weak as piss. Mind you I'm riding through pretty rough terrain, rock gardens and 500mm + drops.

I am thinking of upgrading to carbon rims also, but I'll be using Nextie. Craftworx use Nexties old moulds for their mountain bike rims, but Nextie have now updated to a newer different design. I use premiummtb.com.au

blv
Permantly Unavailable

Post by blv » Fri 01 Jul, 2016 4:16 pm

Also doing Bayview on Sunday if anyone is keen. 8am at the German Church Rd carpark

cGr
Intuition

Post by cGr » Fri 01 Jul, 2016 4:20 pm

Shame to hear about the Shimano's Noel, between myself and friends we've put 100,000+ kays on Shimano wheels and never had a problem (which wasn't caused by a truck, gutter, etc). That includes guys who are over 100kg's.

I'll be interested to hear how you go with the Craftworx, handbuilt wheels can be either perfect or problematic.

blv: 16/20 is not uncommon for road wheels.

blv
Permantly Unavailable

Riding - Mountain/Road for health & hobby info request

Post by blv » Fri 01 Jul, 2016 5:12 pm

Ah ok, thought that may be the case. I know MTB dont normally go lower than 28 in most cases and even then that's only really XC wheels.

cGr
Intuition

Post by cGr » Fri 01 Jul, 2016 8:35 pm

Some wheels will get more spokes to make them stronger, but its not like a road wheel takes the regular punishment dished out on a MTB.

wrx
Self appointed rAU God
Drives: the bus to hell

Post by wrx » Sun 03 Jul, 2016 9:45 am

I am keen for do the coast ride.

Cam convinced me to go C50 over 404s and it was a great decision. I am with Cam, Shinano are a great wheel set.

I'll looking at getting my entry in this week for the ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ImageImageImageImage

Circuit PB's: | Sprint = 52.9 | Clubman = 56.0 | National = 1:15.3| Sportsman = 53.7| Lakeside = 54.8

DreamensioN
4000RPM

Post by DreamensioN » Sun 03 Jul, 2016 1:15 pm

If you're keen - our entries are in the 30kph+ group, but we plan to go at the very back of that group.

It's not that we are that fast, but it gets us ahead of the 25-30kph group which tends to be the bigger group (so it's a bit more crowded). But the biggest benefit I found between going the first year I did it (20-25kph group), and the second year I did it (at the back of the 30kph+ group), was that because we literally get down to the Gold Coast 1hr earlier, there is MUCH less of a head wind as you come into the Gold Coast for that last 20km.

It made all the difference.

DreamensioN
4000RPM

Post by DreamensioN » Sun 03 Jul, 2016 1:17 pm

wrx wrote:I am keen for do the coast ride.

Cam convinced me to go C50 over 404s and it was a great decision. I am with Cam, Shinano are a great wheel set.

I'll looking at getting my entry in this week for the ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like the thought of aero wheels, but do they really only make a difference if you're up at speed? And how do you find the affect of cross winds?

cGr
Intuition

Post by cGr » Sun 03 Jul, 2016 10:21 pm

The aero wheels get a bit of momentum up, so once you're cruising they act like a big flywheel. There's no doubt that a lighter wheel is snappier on the climbs though. Cross winds with a deep dish would not be an issue with your weight.

I've got lots of thoughts about these craftworx, would you mind throwing your shimano and a craftworx on a set of kitchen scales and giving me actual weights?

In my mind... The craftworx are made of a heavier material and have more spokes, but are apparently lighter...?

I think a heavier wheel would be better for you. Heavier = more material = inherently stronger.