Solar Thread - PVOutput

Got something you wanna know about fixing/improving your house or your quality of life? Or just info to share?
DreamensioN
4000RPM
Drives: Golf R

Re: Solar Thread - PVOutput

Post by DreamensioN » Tue 01 Dec, 2015 10:18 am

They should just make it so....
- you can create as much solar power as you want but once you zero out your own bill, you don't "profit" from it
- the excess solar you create goes back into the grid, which the power company can then "sell" to other power users as green power
- because the electricity retailer gets your excess solar for free, they reduce fees/the cost of power/use the profit they make to improve the network/further develop renewal energy

dan
argument inc
Drives: German's mum........

Post by dan » Tue 01 Dec, 2015 10:50 am

i don't think that passes the sniff test. at present, power prices are set with very low access charges and very high usage charges, primarily to encourage energy efficiency. this worked well to discourage inefficient energy use, but it doesn't reflect true costs. PV owners want to contribute power to the grid at times of low demand (such as weekday mornings), but want the option of using the grid at times of high demand (such as evenings or hot weekends). essentially they want the grid to be on standby for them in case their PV system can't meet their needs.

if you take an analogy of that, PV owners usually sleep over at their girlfriends place, and are asking their landlord for a discount on their rent because they don't usually sleep at home. that stinks.

i think it is fair that PV owners should have access to the grid, but they should be paying more than a non-PV customer for the privilege of it.
camo means mogg, and mogg means business

blv
Permantly Unavailable
Drives: MTB
Location: deep in the mists of boost, far beyond the thick cloud of tyre smoke

Post by blv » Tue 01 Dec, 2015 12:56 pm

I think the PV owners need to pay a higher access charge to encourage them to go off grid.

What happens when everyone has solar and a zero bill? Who pays for the maintenance of the grid and the station?

While you may not think it will happen, the buy back rate was scrapped rather quickly so enough people made an impact
I just don't know if people like me. I know when they don't like me 'cause they'll say things like, 'Yeah, that's him, officer.'

wrx
Self appointed rAU God
Drives: the bus to hell

Post by wrx » Tue 01 Dec, 2015 1:22 pm

The number of people that can actually go off grid are extremely small.

The cost of a mild off grid system starts $25k and then the cost of battery replacement adds to that over time.

How many people out there are actually cost neutral??? I know that I am not even close!!! I have the best performing system on here (for its size, Mick now beats me as he has double the capacity) and my bill is still $500 in winter and 800-900 in summer.
ImageImageImageImage

Circuit PB's: | Sprint = 52.9 | Clubman = 56.0 | National = 1:15.3| Sportsman = 53.7| Lakeside = 54.8

wrx
Self appointed rAU God

Post by wrx » Tue 01 Dec, 2015 1:29 pm

Below is the reply from Positronics on their facebook page to may same question. Just for information:
Disappointed rather than surprised. Back when Anna1 brought in the 44c tariff, distributors, regulators and retailers loved solar - particularly in Queensland. The power stations were running out of water and the 44c paid for the quickest, cheapest build of a 1.5GW power station that did not rely on water. When the drought broke and Anna1 was voted out all that changed. Distributors see us as competitors now and we see changes in regulations, fees etc designed to make it difficult for solar. Not only is there a solar metering charge, there is also 0.9PF, which means 10% of your PV goes (unmetered) to help the grid with its poor design. (There is also a plethora of additional electrical requirements which I won't bore you with.) This is the grid that has had billions spent on poles and wires ( which is where the massive price hikes originate) and still has a reactive power problem. Grid engineers are much like General Haig, using Napoleonic tactics against machine guns. Instead of investing in a smart grid with tap changing transformers, active power factor correction etc they've built more 1950's style distribution. This 1950s model doesn't suit inverter AirCon load, computers, etc let alone distributed local generation. They've spent a fortune getting it wrong and now they are blaming solar and trying to boost their profits some more by hitting us with a metering charge.Not only is there a daily meter reading charge but you'll pay up to $1700 to get your meter changed if your a commercial customer, $90 if you're a retail customer. Steven Wheeler , Powerwalls are nothing but vapourware. If you have a perfunctory read of our page and our website, you'll notice we've been doing batteries for 25 years and LiFePo for the last four. We know a bit about storage and we know a bit about Lithium storage. Elon's numbers are BS, as are most of the numbers being thrown around lately. On grid hybrids make no sense economically - your battery dies before it pays itself off. I wish it were otherwise. We've sold many on grid hybrids, but they are all special cases where the customer needs a Uninterruptible Power Supply and they're a business so can depreciate it. Mr and Mrs Smith can't afford a real system (minimum spend is $25000) and if they could it makes no sense in economic or environmental terms. Batteries are expensive and the easiest way to make a battery system cheaper is to undersize the battery. For example we quote 4000 cycles with a 55% depth of discharge. We've had early failures with systems sold by third parties where they've ignored our advice, so I know these numbers work. You'll see numbers like 8000 cycles to 100% discharge being quoted. This is impossible. If you're credulous enough to believe these claims, I have a mate in Nigeria who needs a hand with an inheritance, I'll put him in touch.
ImageImageImageImage

Circuit PB's: | Sprint = 52.9 | Clubman = 56.0 | National = 1:15.3| Sportsman = 53.7| Lakeside = 54.8

dan
argument inc

Post by dan » Tue 01 Dec, 2015 1:43 pm

wrx wrote:The number of people that can actually go off grid are extremely small.
plus imagine the inconvenience if something malfunctions with your PV, you cop a hail storm and have to get a private PV installer instead of energex to fix it, or there is a fortnight of cloudy weather, etc...... it might be ok for someone's holiday house, but their daily?? nah. even if there are savings the fuck around won't be worth it. i reckon 100% off grid won't be a mainstream option in this decade or next. it'll probably happen at the fringes, but it'll be like electric cars are right now. curiosities.

the dilemma grid operators have is finding a pricing structure that adequately covers all the costs. if they priced it at what it cost to generate and deliver power would cost something like $4/day plus 3c/kWhr...... that'd cover their direct costs, but it'd have negative environmental consequences. so i guess they charge PV owners higher fixed fees if they want to sell back to the grid? i dunno. this used to be pretty boring policy stuff that government-owned power operators looked after. now most of the power operators are being fattened up for sale and a bunch of semi-clever people have a vested interest in the policy (but only so far as it affects them) because they government subsidized their $5k purchase of a $15k rooftop solar system. it was always too good to be true.

dorift
I love lamp
Drives: Toyota Hilux Diablo

Post by dorift » Tue 01 Dec, 2015 4:16 pm

Christ are you doing hydro Steve? Lol
89 Corolla SX
90 Pulsar GTiR
95 Barina GSi
98 200sx
04 Forester XT
99 Hilux ute (woohoo!)

wrx
Self appointed rAU God

Post by wrx » Tue 01 Dec, 2015 4:45 pm

dorift wrote:Christ are you doing hydro Steve? Lol
I wish... then I could afford it :)

Moo is a teacher, so she is in the house for 7 weeks over Christmas with the AC running most days. Plus when i built the house I stuffed up the rack location and put it under the stairs, and it gets warm :(
ImageImageImageImage

dorift
I love lamp
Drives: Toyota Hilux Diablo

Post by dorift » Tue 01 Dec, 2015 9:59 pm

Ours is 450 year round. I'm not stirring, just intrigued. I feel like we waste so much power.
89 Corolla SX
90 Pulsar GTiR
95 Barina GSi
98 200sx
04 Forester XT
99 Hilux ute (woohoo!)

wrx
Self appointed rAU God

Post by wrx » Wed 02 Dec, 2015 5:45 am

Yeah I know you are not. With the amount of computers I leave on and other stuff either on or in standby + the dryer + air con and the list keeps going. I could use a LOT less power.

If I shut things down and used other things more wisely it would be a massive start. I guess it is a luxury that I am willing to pay for to get the convenience.
ImageImageImageImage

dan
argument inc

Post by dan » Wed 02 Dec, 2015 9:25 am

my power bill is $300/qtr and my place is fully aircon'd and faces west. i have gas hot water/stove, but fucks me what i'd have to do to spend $900. i guess run the aircon 48/14?

gtirboy
1000RPM
Drives: MY00 Subaru Outback

Post by gtirboy » Thu 03 Dec, 2015 7:18 am

Our bill is around $315 qtr, this is after Solar 6c rebate. Kate is home everyday and uses the dryer at least twice daily. We use the AC only when it is hot and Kate loves to leave all the lights on.
Todd

DreamensioN
4000RPM

Post by DreamensioN » Wed 09 Dec, 2015 12:18 pm

People interested can put their money down on a Tesla Powerwall before Christmas...
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busines ... 96ca47d8fe

DreamensioN
4000RPM

Post by DreamensioN » Tue 02 Feb, 2016 2:07 pm

Second generation Powerwall (Powerwall S? :P) announced...

http://electrek.co/2016/02/01/tesla-sec ... powerwall/

DreamensioN
4000RPM

Post by DreamensioN » Thu 04 Feb, 2016 9:45 am

Draft report of QLD's electrical pricing is now available.
http://www.qpc.qld.gov.au/inquiries/ele ... y-pricing/

Point 17 is interesting. It recommends consideration for removing the FIT for everyone before 2028.

wrx
Self appointed rAU God

Post by wrx » Thu 09 Jun, 2016 8:31 am

Origin SUCKS (I am guessing others suck too)

As of July 1

Control 1 - up 2c per KW
Control 2 - up 1.1c per KW

:(
ImageImageImageImage

gtirboy
1000RPM
Drives: MY00 Subaru Outback

Post by gtirboy » Thu 09 Jun, 2016 8:53 pm

I'm with Origin, what is the Control 1 and 2?
Todd

DreamensioN
4000RPM

Post by DreamensioN » Thu 18 Aug, 2016 9:06 pm

So we're upgrading our solar system. In 2011, we got a 6kw inverter but with only 3.04kw of panels. We're now adding an extra 3.64kw of panels. Just waiting for the energex paper work and then they'll book in a date to do the install. Hashtag nomorepowerbills

blv
Permantly Unavailable
Drives: MTB
Location: deep in the mists of boost, far beyond the thick cloud of tyre smoke

Post by blv » Fri 19 Aug, 2016 1:04 pm

I need to upgrade ours too.
I just don't know if people like me. I know when they don't like me 'cause they'll say things like, 'Yeah, that's him, officer.'

Eu-GenixX
5000RPM
Drives: CJ Lancer VR

Post by Eu-GenixX » Sun 21 Aug, 2016 9:52 am

I need another small array on the west side of my roof.