Youtube Link

wrx
Self appointed rAU God
Drives: the bus to hell

Re: Tarmac Rally

Post by wrx » Sun 15 Nov, 2015 6:59 pm

Shame you can not hear the calls too :)
ImageImageImageImage

Circuit PB's: | Sprint = 52.9 | Clubman = 56.0 | National = 1:15.3| Sportsman = 53.7| Lakeside = 54.8

cGr
Intuition

Post by cGr » Sun 15 Nov, 2015 7:47 pm

I have the calls on another video camera. I'll upload a stage now and post a link once its done.

The challenges we have with video cameras are a few.
- My camera (oldish radcam) only has the intercom input (so essentially just the notes), and you cant hear the car. This camera is perfect for reviewing stages the following year.
- Matt's camera (gopro) gives a good idea of the car, but no intercom. The gopro is much better quality than the radcam too.
- Occasionally we need to supply the tv stations with footage, and matt's camera is a better experience (IMHO) and TBH I prefer the mass population not hearing our notes (some intellectual property in there with how we do things).
- I wouldn't mind having the ability to mix car noise with intercom, but then I need a mixer in the car which is something else to look after (turn on/off, batteries, etc) which I don't want/need.
- To cap it all off, we would REALLY like the ability to overlay car input (throttle, brake, gear, rpm, speed, etc) to the video. This is where I'm currently looking to the future for.

So, thoughts? Do I get something like this (http://www.race-technology.com/data_loggers_2_11.html) so I can collect the raw input and then use video software to overlay it?

Do I get some other video camera? Gopro is hard to go past for quality (and our price is right ;) ), but something like this is an all in one for CANBUS input: http://www.aim-sportline.com/eng/produc ... /index.htm

TBH I am leaning towards a gopro sessions (not interested in the later gopro's, have heard the software/quality isn't up to the earlier models) and some type of CANBUS logger. Finding the right one may be tricky though.

cGr
Intuition

Post by cGr » Sun 15 Nov, 2015 8:56 pm

Also shows off the difference in video quality.

Youtube Link

wrx
Self appointed rAU God

Post by wrx » Fri 20 Nov, 2015 12:53 pm

After listening to the calls I completely get why you don't publish them, normally I get lost listening to them, but your extra points of interest added make them awesome!

Now on to the data.

Mick has found that there is a new HD Vbox, which is just over $4k:
HD2 looks now set for launch at the Motor Sport show in the UK first week of January so I should have them here 3rd week of January.

Priced at just under the current Pro system ($4,110) the HD2 will offer unrivalled quality and functionality (great sales pitch eh..!)

Completely new 1080p60 using latest Sony sensor - the 60fps will eliminate the usual 30fps jelly wobble.
Significantly better in low light Less noise - no bright pixels
Better colours
Higher dynamic range
Working over up to a 16m cable
Up to 4 cameras (2 cameras initially)
165º wide angle
PIP
Cropping
Quadrants
Graphics
1920x1080 graphics
Much more graphics processing power

Wi-Fi
Preview from iPhone, PC, Android
Change settings using App
Wireless download (if patient!)

Bluetooth
Small wireless start/stop logging with indicator
Heart rate monitor connectivity

1080p60 – 60 fps for low distortion & super smooth slow motion
Small waterproof cameras – up to 16m remote
Configurable Real Time graphics overlay
30s pre-event buffer - perfect to get the launch if set to log only when moving.
WiFi preview & download
Bluetooth for accessories
Predictive LapTimer
Circuit Tools for Apple Mac OSX

I use the normal Vbox which is a SD camera and worth about $2200

Both these devices are automatically picture in picture and data overlay.

I also run a RadCAM HD camera which I run in 720p (but am going to strat running it at 1080p).

I then use the data from the Vbox or the Motec and use an application called TrackVision Desktop (about $120). You feed it the video file and the data in .csv format and it looks like this:

Youtube Link

If you can not get data out of the 911 and it is still running the standard ECU you can get bluetooth data loggers that plug into the OBDII port and log to your phone. If they output to .csv then it will work with TrackVision - even if you have to write a customer dataset for it (which is not that hard).

Happy show you what i use if you want.

All in all, I think that you should buy the Vbox HD2 so i can use it when you are not :)
ImageImageImageImage

Circuit PB's: | Sprint = 52.9 | Clubman = 56.0 | National = 1:15.3| Sportsman = 53.7| Lakeside = 54.8

wrx
Self appointed rAU God

Post by wrx » Fri 20 Nov, 2015 12:58 pm

Also, with the RadCAM i would look at JayCar for a stereo to 2 x mono splitter and plug 2 Microphones in, on connected to the calls and one just sitting the the cabin, and see if you can get some engine noise in it :)
ImageImageImageImage

cGr
Intuition

Post by cGr » Fri 20 Nov, 2015 2:01 pm

Good idea on the splitter from jaycar, will check it out tonight.

The track vision software is exactly the sort of thing that I am after. Matt didn't option the car with the wifi data logging (boo!), but there are enough data loggers out there which will do the job. I can then feed the information into the video from a gopro.

Anything more than $1k for video is a bit steep considering the quality out of a gopro these days, $4k might be fine for you TA boys with unlimited budgets though :P

cGr
Intuition

Post by cGr » Thu 03 Dec, 2015 9:25 pm

Flying down to Tassie tomorrow to call notes in this on Sunday. It will be interesting to see how a Porsche Cup Car goes on a public road, but it will be fun nonetheless.
Attachments
garwood-pmr15.jpg
garwood-pmr15.jpg (117.68 KiB) Viewed 4965 times

SecaBoy
Mr Indecisive

Post by SecaBoy » Fri 04 Dec, 2015 11:49 am

will you be strapped to the roll cages? lol :P

have fun! :D
1991 Toyota Corolla Seca ==> SOLD
2001 Subaru Impreza WRX ==> SOLD
2006 Honda Accord Euro Luxury ==> SOLD
1990 Nissan Silvia RB20DET ==> SOLD
2008 Toyota TRD Aurion 3500SL ==> SOLD
2010 Ford Falcon XR6T ==> SOLD
:cry
2016 VW Polo 81TSI DSG

Splash
pants
Drives: with eyes closed

Post by Splash » Fri 04 Dec, 2015 1:38 pm

He'll just punch the address into the GPS and hop out

:D

Latest survey shows that 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the world's population

cGr
Intuition

Post by cGr » Sun 06 Dec, 2015 8:59 pm

Nah Ash, they put a beanbag in there for me.

He's not on his full license, so I have to stay in after I punch in the co-ordinates :P

Oh yeh, and we won it. Video coming soon. WICKED car, so much fun.

wrx
Self appointed rAU God

Post by wrx » Mon 07 Dec, 2015 7:06 am

Nice!
ImageImageImageImage

SecaBoy
Mr Indecisive

Post by SecaBoy » Mon 07 Dec, 2015 11:41 am

congrats! looking forward to watching the vid. :)
2016 VW Polo 81TSI DSG

cGr
Intuition

Post by cGr » Mon 07 Dec, 2015 8:46 pm

Whilst we had a good weekend, I want to deal with this first: http://www.theadvocate.com.au/story/354 ... imb/?cs=87

The event was cut short when a car left the road during the third timed run up the hill. The parents of my driver were amongst the first on scene and dealt with a very difficult situation made worse by the fact that they were close friends. We all go rallying to have fun, and invest a lot of time and money in the sport, but when something like this happens the priority is always the well being of the crew. The extraction of the injured navigator was dealt with in the appropriate manner, with numerous police and ambulance crews in attendance, and time taken to complete this properly meant that no further racing could be completed. To be honest, I am glad that the event was called off following the accident as peoples minds are no longer focussed on the task (both due to the fragility of the situation and the lengthy delay), and to have another accident follow would mean a certain end to the event in future.

The last I heard, the doctors are satisfied (such a strange word to use in this context) with the current state of the patient - which I can only hope means that he is stable and will pull through.

There is a challenge in the celebration of our achievement whilst balancing the heartache of the Cuc family. Motor racing is dangerous and safety should always be a priority for organisers. There is no doubt that this accident will further improve the safety processes and hopefully it means that a sport which I enjoy immensely can stay around for a while longer yet.

cGr
Intuition

Post by cGr » Mon 07 Dec, 2015 9:02 pm

Here is our incar from our fastest run. It's an interesting car to race as Porsche road cars already have a bloodline in motorsport which shows through. To experience a car built by Porsche which has a sole intent to be driven at 10/10ths is a unique experience, even for someone in motorsport.

- It is super loud. The technology in intercoms and noise cancelling means that the inside of most tarmac cars are fairly quiet, and you don't need to raise your voice to be heard. Even with the helmets on there is a lot of noise going on (most of it through the gearbox and driveline), and without the helmets on at 60kph it is almost impossible to have a conversation.
- The weight is a big differentiator to other cars (except maybe the Skelta) and you notice that acceleration, braking and cornering take less effort than with a heavier car.
- It needs more tyre grip. It just isn't built to have R-spec tyres underneath it, and out of the hairpins it was difficult to manage tyre slip. On slicks this thing would be unreal.
- Steering lock is non-existant, its about a half turn lock to lock, and that's it.
- Suspension is stiff, but still compliant. In the wet it would be a massive handful, but in the dry it is precise and surprisingly good on a public road.
- The gearbox is a big part of the car, and the driveline in general is built solely to be driven hard. Driving it at road speeds is spine jarring at best. At full noise it makes perfect sense.

I like that its a car which only becomes good to drive when being raced, and raced hard. I've had similar conversations with people over the years, and I think that true race cars are only good between 8 and 10/10ths, and this car is a prime example. Only when you are completely committed to it does it go/stop/turn, and the irony is that in that groove its a wonderful thing and (if you have the skills) a rewarding car to drive.

For the record, this run still felt well within the limits of the car and the road. Our primary goal for the weekend (which was discussed several days out from the event) was to bring home a straight car, and whilst it may not look like it, this was well within the limits of the car and the driver.

Youtube Link

dan
argument inc
Drives: German's mum........

Post by dan » Tue 08 Dec, 2015 10:19 pm

that was awesome cam
camo means mogg, and mogg means business

wrx
Self appointed rAU God

Post by wrx » Wed 09 Dec, 2015 7:39 am

Honestly, the noise and feel of a sequential box is the best thing ever :)

(unless you are trying to drive it nicely, then they are a complete bitch)
ImageImageImageImage

cGr
Intuition

Post by cGr » Thu 10 Dec, 2015 8:45 pm

Pro highlights reel
Youtube Link

Jon 51
1000RPM

Post by Jon 51 » Fri 11 Dec, 2015 10:28 am

that was a great watch. congratulations on the win

SecaBoy
Mr Indecisive

Post by SecaBoy » Fri 11 Dec, 2015 1:00 pm

i just watched ya video cam and DAMN! looks like so much fun!

this might be a stupid question, but why did he slow right down around the 45sec mark?
2016 VW Polo 81TSI DSG