new shopping trolley

Strictly car/driving related discussion only
cGr
Intuition

Re: new shopping trolley

Post by cGr » Sat 26 Dec, 2015 12:56 pm

I've driven a lot of CVT's (all Nissans, Navara, X-Trail, Qashqai, Dualis, Micra) and they all seem to do the job fine. That said, I would still put them (for a personal preference) a long way behind a good auto, and maybe only a little behind DSG's.

The newer CVT's are much better than the older ones which seem to be far too aggressive in their tuning (they ALWAYS sounded like a slipping clutch). The newer ones behave more like an auto gearbox in that they seem to have more defined gears and less optimal rev range/less clutch slip noise. They are much quieter nowadays too. My parents are happy with the CVT in their Nissan. I drove a Navara on and off for a couple of days before I noticed it was CVT.

I like the X-Trail and think they are a good car. I'd also consider the Koleos as it is the same car underneath but without (as much of) the Nissan quality inside. Price slightly higher though.

spitex
GTiR wannabe
Drives: FPV F6

Post by spitex » Mon 28 Dec, 2015 9:12 am

The CVT in the WRX is really really really nice.

Honestly, I love my manual in the F6 but days like yesterday (Xmas break drive to the coast) I was cursing it. In the WRX the CVT works great for 80% of driving and then the 8 Speed manual mode is hella fun in the curbs/mountains.

It does make me laugh when you boot it on the freeway entry and the RPM's sit still and the car just gets faster and faster!

dan
argument inc
Drives: German's mum........

Post by dan » Tue 29 Dec, 2015 8:59 am

have driven a CVT impreza and i have no idea what you are on about..!! it was yick. agree autos are great for 80% of driving though, driving my 3t tractor to work every day sucks balls.
camo means mogg, and mogg means business

dorift
I love lamp
Drives: Toyota Hilux Diablo

Post by dorift » Tue 29 Dec, 2015 7:28 pm

I just can't manual anymore. Over it.
Obviously something truly fun and affordable requires manual, but other than that, manual is dead to me.
89 Corolla SX
90 Pulsar GTiR
95 Barina GSi
98 200sx
04 Forester XT
99 Hilux ute (woohoo!)

tipper
male housemaid

Post by tipper » Wed 30 Dec, 2015 11:03 am

Cameron, you'll have to drive my car again soon. DSG's are great, I can't fault mine around town or on when punting hard. Yet to drive a good CVT but open minded about them being better than the Avis hire car ones I have driven.

cGr
Intuition

Post by cGr » Wed 30 Dec, 2015 11:43 am

DSG's are perfect for driving hard, and in that specific usage scenario I have never experienced a bad DSG.

Still, always happy to drive your car if the offer is there :)

Ted
1000RPM

Post by Ted » Sat 09 Jan, 2016 8:29 pm

Might be a bit late to this, but hired a Corolla last week in Adelaide. Did one drive to Mclaren Vale, and one to Clare Valley. The CVT in the Corolla does a stellar job, but the driving experience is awful. I also found it quite slow getting into reverse. The plus though is that fuel economy was brilliant, finished up at 6L/100km which was pretty good considering how I drove it at times.

Did try some enthusiastic driving on dirt roads and this thing was just quite useless in that the transmission didn't allow the weight transfer to occur like I wanted it to. The only way was to push the laws of physics. So basically on bitumen, this translated to a drive that got my heart skipping a few times, at the posted speed limit. In some twisties, 100km/h limit, a lift of the throttle did not drop the nose down enough so there was that initial bit of understeer that came in. Add to that the fact that it has the most touchy steering I have driven for a long time, and it did not make long distance driving pleasant at all.
Motorsport is a disease, where the only cure is poverty.

cGr
Intuition

Post by cGr » Sat 09 Jan, 2016 8:33 pm

Should have gone with the Renault...

On the flip side, I drove a 125i this afternoon and it was brilliant. Same same but different to the older 118/120i's, a lot lighter steering (good thing) but still a steller chassis. The engine is super smooth and the 8sp auto was quick, smooth and virtually seamless - it made me realise how bad DSG's really are.

Ted
1000RPM

Post by Ted » Sun 10 Jan, 2016 6:40 am

There was a funny story Cam.
I didn't book the Renault Megane 265 because we had a friend with us, and I didn't want to subject an adult to the rear seats in there. Then one day out, I realised I had booked the wrong return time so went to change it plus I decided to get the Renault instead, but it was sold out! However, for some reason, the hire rate for the Corolla was dropped from $50/day to $15.60 a day so it was cheap motoring.

Then when JC and I went to pick it up, there was a lady complaining bitterly that she didn't want the upgrade to the Golf she had been given, and she wanted the Corolla she had picked. Pity I didn't know that I had a Corolla at that time, I am sure I would have preferred the Golf. Though listening to all her reasons for not wanting the Golf was interesting.
Motorsport is a disease, where the only cure is poverty.

cGr
Intuition

Post by cGr » Sun 10 Jan, 2016 8:53 am

$15/day is too hard to pass up. I had a Corolla (manual) for a hire car a few years back and it wasn't a bad thing. With the exception of quick Golf's, I've never driven a run of the mill one - usually because their gearboxes have broken and they're in the VW workshop being fixed.

tipper
male housemaid

Post by tipper » Sun 10 Jan, 2016 9:13 pm

How about we take my car for a spin this saturday Cam?

cGr
Intuition

Post by cGr » Mon 11 Jan, 2016 7:24 pm

Rightio!

dan
argument inc
Drives: German's mum........

Post by dan » Mon 11 Jan, 2016 7:55 pm

Here's a picture of itImage
camo means mogg, and mogg means business

SecaBoy
Mr Indecisive

Post by SecaBoy » Tue 12 Jan, 2016 11:30 am

wow. someone was really not happy!! :lol:
1991 Toyota Corolla Seca ==> SOLD
2001 Subaru Impreza WRX ==> SOLD
2006 Honda Accord Euro Luxury ==> SOLD
1990 Nissan Silvia RB20DET ==> SOLD
2008 Toyota TRD Aurion 3500SL ==> SOLD
2010 Ford Falcon XR6T ==> SOLD
:cry
2016 VW Polo 81TSI DSG

dorift
I love lamp
Drives: Toyota Hilux Diablo

Post by dorift » Tue 12 Jan, 2016 1:14 pm

Skimming over this thread again, can't help but laugh. My sister bought a 2014 plated RAV4 just before Xmas, and friends just bought a brand new cvt Corolla on the weekend lol.
FTR, with only ~5km of driving it, I really liked the rav. Auto was heaps better than I expected.
89 Corolla SX
90 Pulsar GTiR
95 Barina GSi
98 200sx
04 Forester XT
99 Hilux ute (woohoo!)

daBOODA
Mr. Diplomacy
Drives: sda0

Post by daBOODA » Tue 12 Jan, 2016 3:42 pm

Wifey got the X-trail. Her neck was sore all weekend so I drove it. Nice car but I felt like I was in a race car when I got back into my Accord hah
"The argument doesn't work with me. Go back to your cracker jack lifestyle and I'll meet you at the evolutionary bell curve ... I'll be sitting there a while, it's kind of a tortoise and the hare story." - Bill Hicks

Eu-GenixX
5000RPM
Drives: CJ Lancer VR

Post by Eu-GenixX » Wed 09 Mar, 2016 11:49 am

I don't understand the hate for cvt?

Wife and I just bought a pair of Mitsubishi ASX's. The XLS model so has all the bells and whistles. Just gotta wait till April for Delivery.

Really like the way it drove and felt a little punchier than my current Lancer. Having driven CVT autos for the last 6 years I don't like driving a normal auto now.

The ASX was a car we both said we didn't want before we went looking and test driving. Now we are getting 1 each. Very disillusioned with Ford. Wanted an FGX G6E Ecoboost but the guy told me ford don't make them. After we'd made our purchase he calls me up and said he has one in stock if I want a test drive. Sorry bud. You're a douche.

SecaBoy
Mr Indecisive

Post by SecaBoy » Wed 09 Mar, 2016 12:41 pm

Everytime i drive the wife's ASX, i try to like it, but i just can't.
CVT's are rubbish. lol
luckily, the only time i drive it is if we're driving in to the city/valley/southbank area as she refuses to drive around that area. (whole country girl, big city issue, i dont get it :lol:)

i went and drove a 16 golf 92tsi a couple of weekends ago and the "new" DSG is great. there was no hesitation after selecting reverse and pulling off from a set of lights. i've always loved them, but they seemed to have really improved them.
2016 VW Polo 81TSI DSG

Eu-GenixX
5000RPM
Drives: CJ Lancer VR

Post by Eu-GenixX » Sun 13 Mar, 2016 11:47 am

Delivery pushed out till May now. :(

What is it you don't like about the CVT Ash?

SecaBoy
Mr Indecisive

Post by SecaBoy » Mon 14 Mar, 2016 12:07 pm

many things. lol

1) it never knows what "gear" to be in.
2) sounds like the engine is gonna blow when you merge on the freeway.
3) there is a lag between when you put your foot down and when it decides to do its thing.
4) they're apparently unreliable as fuck. touch wood we havent had any issues with our ASX, but my brother-in-law's old lancer had many problems which was all fixed under warranty. Also a mate whos a mechanic has seen the bad end of them. (in saying that though, he also says to avoid older cars with DSG's due to reliability issues)

at the end of the day, each to their own. i just find the driving of a cvt to be a very dull/boring/lifeless experience. yes, its not a designed to be a race car gearbox, but it also shouldnt want me to slit my wrists at the end of the drive. :P
2016 VW Polo 81TSI DSG