New tripod: Want!

Think you're the next George Schaub or Annie Leibovitz? Show us what you've got in here, along with other tech advice or news

Moderators: German, DreamensioN

dorift
I love lamp
Drives: Toyota Hilux Diablo

Re: New tripod: Want!

Post by dorift » Sun 22 Sep, 2013 8:43 pm

iano wrote:how sturdy are they fully loaded up?
cGr wrote:These things are awesome ;)

Build quality is phenominal, there's enough strength in it to easily hold an SLR and a decent lens, but its still small enough to throw in my bag for the point and shoot.

Only downside is that the ballhead needs to loosen up a bit.
89 Corolla SX
90 Pulsar GTiR
95 Barina GSi
98 200sx
04 Forester XT
99 Hilux ute (woohoo!)

daBOODA
Mr. Diplomacy
Drives: sda0

Post by daBOODA » Sun 22 Sep, 2013 9:12 pm

Yeah but there are lenses that are heavier than your bag of gambling stubs.
"The argument doesn't work with me. Go back to your cracker jack lifestyle and I'll meet you at the evolutionary bell curve ... I'll be sitting there a while, it's kind of a tortoise and the hare story." - Bill Hicks

iano
glass always half empty
Drives: by my own accord

Post by iano » Sun 22 Sep, 2013 9:13 pm

not what I meant. I didn't think the legs were long enough. the actual frame may be stiff as but it looks like it could topple over quite easily with the slightest bump if holding 2ish kg which is what a typical semi pro body and short range 2.8 zoom would weigh. Am I wrong?
This isn't life, it's just stuff. And it's become more important to you than living. Well, honey, that's just nuts

dorift
I love lamp

Post by dorift » Sun 22 Sep, 2013 9:32 pm

daBOODA wrote:Yeah but there are lenses that are heavier than your bag of gambling stubs.
I realise that.

But I thought Cameron's comment was specific enough to answer that question. And after a re-read, I still do. Unless I'm missing something?

You obviously aren't going to see pro's with a 1000mm lens on a 1D body using this to prop it all up and shoot the next US president's inauguration from the bleachers, or Usain Bolt running a 9.1... but Cam made clear suggestions that it is strong enough to easily hold an SLR and a decent lens.
89 Corolla SX
90 Pulsar GTiR
95 Barina GSi
98 200sx
04 Forester XT
99 Hilux ute (woohoo!)

daBOODA
Mr. Diplomacy

Post by daBOODA » Sun 22 Sep, 2013 9:58 pm

Bah I typed up a whole rebuttal but honestly, what the hell am I arguing about/for?
"The argument doesn't work with me. Go back to your cracker jack lifestyle and I'll meet you at the evolutionary bell curve ... I'll be sitting there a while, it's kind of a tortoise and the hare story." - Bill Hicks

dorift
I love lamp

Post by dorift » Sun 22 Sep, 2013 10:09 pm

Lol
89 Corolla SX
90 Pulsar GTiR
95 Barina GSi
98 200sx
04 Forester XT
99 Hilux ute (woohoo!)

iano
glass always half empty

Post by iano » Sun 22 Sep, 2013 10:25 pm

ffs ok I'll put it in lackeys terms because I'm obviously cranky today:

Is the bloody thing top heavy when fully loaded up? The actual material could probably hold about 10kg but a tripod is fkg useless if the whole thing falls over if you bump it. Again: those legs look too short and stubby to hold a DSLR + big lens, and I am wondering if it tips over too easily.
This isn't life, it's just stuff. And it's become more important to you than living. Well, honey, that's just nuts

Eu-GenixX
5000RPM
Drives: CJ Lancer VR

Post by Eu-GenixX » Mon 23 Sep, 2013 3:43 pm

Stability as apposed to strength

cGr
Intuition

Post by cGr » Mon 23 Sep, 2013 7:20 pm

dorift wrote:But I thought Cameron's comment was specific enough to answer that question. And after a re-read, I still do. Unless I'm missing something?
I was missing something too.

How's this then? 2.6kg worth of kit (excl the tripod)
fr_425_size640.jpg
fr_425_size640.jpg (113.01 KiB) Viewed 5956 times
To be pedantic about it, for what it is designed for, it is fine, strong, and sturdy enough to use in most normal situations. The one big advantage it has is that it doesn't get the flex/wobble up that flimsy legged big tripods get with having spans that are ~1.5m long. Short legs don't wobble, and to be honest, the only movement in the whole design is from the little rubber feet on each foot of the legs. Without these, it would be extremely sturdy - but also probably slip off the first surface you put it down on in the slightest of breezes.

For its design purpose (iPhone/P&S/SLR and walkaround lens), you are never going to have a problem with it.

iano
glass always half empty

Post by iano » Mon 23 Sep, 2013 7:26 pm

well and truly answered my question cheers :)

Awesome design... I saw these things called bean pods, essentially just an expensive rice filled cotton bag that someone decided they can make a quick buck on.

For the same money this little pixie kills it

daBOODA
Mr. Diplomacy

Post by daBOODA » Mon 23 Sep, 2013 7:56 pm

mmmm ... we should do another photo geek day

cGr
Intuition

Post by cGr » Mon 23 Sep, 2013 8:59 pm

boods, I reckon the pixi would make a neat little tripod for an off camera flash ;)

daBOODA
Mr. Diplomacy

Post by daBOODA » Mon 23 Sep, 2013 9:27 pm

Indeed, and I'll probably get one. I've recent bought a macro lens for detail shots (rings etc) and I'll need to use my flash for it. That little tripod looks like it'll be able to angle the flash (or my shitty little video light) so that it points down over the subject that I'm shooting.

It might be useful for holding the flash upright. Even though the flash comes with a foot that you can slot the flash into, the foot probably would slide off an angled surface where as that little tripod might be able to handle it.

cGr
Intuition

Post by cGr » Mon 23 Sep, 2013 10:02 pm

Which macro did you buy?

The little rubber feet on the bottom of each leg are soft grippy rubber, so would hold on to a slipper surface. I just tested my 430EXII with the yongnuo transmitter and the flash foot (has the tripod thread in it) on the pixi, and it holds it fine so long as you don't use the ball mount to have the flash between two legs of the tripod.

If you tilt the flash to either its full fore/aft position on the ballhead, you do need the leg under the flash to stop it tipping over. That said, if you position the flash body upright (or just not at the extreme of the ball head range) and then use the adjustment in the flash head, you'd never have a problem with the location of the flash legs.

daBOODA
Mr. Diplomacy

Post by daBOODA » Tue 24 Sep, 2013 5:45 am

Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro for $369 at DigitalRev. I wanted the Canon 100mm f/2 IS macro but I decided to save $600. Plus I'm only using the lens for 20 minutes per wedding. If I were to do true macro I'd have bought the 60mm MP-E mmm

I like how the tripod has rubber feet. When you tilt the flash over the leg for support, does the leg extend as far as the flash head?

iano
glass always half empty

Post by iano » Tue 24 Sep, 2013 7:59 am

you'll be pleased with the tammy 90 - big big following in the macro community

cGr
Intuition

Post by cGr » Tue 24 Sep, 2013 11:31 pm

Have heard really good things about the 100mm f/2.8 IS, but they aren't cheap. I love my 100mm f/2.8.

Not quite sure what you mean about the 'leg extend as far as the flash head' comment...

The flash will hold itself up without the leg directly underneath it, but a little bump/shake, and it would topple over. The legs don't extend as such, just splay outwards. Anyway, maybe pics will show more betterer...
fr_429_size640.jpg
fr_429_size640.jpg (88.52 KiB) Viewed 5912 times
fr_430_size640.jpg
fr_430_size640.jpg (92.21 KiB) Viewed 5912 times
fr_433_size640.jpg
fr_433_size640.jpg (93.43 KiB) Viewed 5912 times
fr_434_size640.jpg
fr_434_size640.jpg (121.23 KiB) Viewed 5912 times

daBOODA
Mr. Diplomacy

Post by daBOODA » Wed 25 Sep, 2013 6:27 am

The pictures answer the question :)