Secondhand lens: opinions?

Think you're the next George Schaub or Annie Leibovitz? Show us what you've got in here, along with other tech advice or news

Moderators: German, DreamensioN

daBOODA
Mr. Diplomacy
Drives: sda0

Secondhand lens: opinions?

Post by daBOODA » Tue 10 Sep, 2013 10:43 am

I'm thinking about picking up a second hand 24-70 f/2.8 for $1,200 from Melbourne.

The seller has sent me photos of it and it looks fine for the most part. The only thing that I'm concerned about is a dent in the outer ring. It won't affect image quality but I suspect it might be too hard to screw on filters. I don't really plan to use filters with it (it'll be my medium telephoto zoom for weddings) but the option to use filters would be nice.

I've attached one of the photos of it below. What do you think? Should I avoid this lens?
IMG_2517.jpeg
IMG_2517.jpeg (172.91 KiB) Viewed 4957 times
"The argument doesn't work with me. Go back to your cracker jack lifestyle and I'll meet you at the evolutionary bell curve ... I'll be sitting there a while, it's kind of a tortoise and the hare story." - Bill Hicks

iano
glass always half empty
Drives: by my own accord

Re: Secondhand lens: opinions?

Post by iano » Tue 10 Sep, 2013 12:21 pm

I wouldn't buy it mate. Look for another one.

Those short range F2.8s make fabulous landscape/scenic lenses. Not being able to bolt on a screw filter would be a deal breaker, for me at least.

Edit: Even though 100% of your stuff lately is weddings, you also know how to do landscapes. Damn well even.
This isn't life, it's just stuff. And it's become more important to you than living. Well, honey, that's just nuts

daBOODA
Mr. Diplomacy

Post by daBOODA » Tue 10 Sep, 2013 12:30 pm

For landscapes I want to get the 16-35 or 17-45. 24mm is all right for landscapes but since playing with Ted's 17-45 holy moses! There's a whole new world of landscapes that I haven't explored!.

I could get the ring fixed up I guess but that might make the overall cost of the lens go up to the average market price anyway.

Should that dent make me suspicious of the lens as a whole? Since I can't inspect and try the lens before I buy it (seller is in Melbourne) should I just let it go?

It's a decent saving on the cost of a new lens. Here's the pricing for new 24-70 f/2.8 II (the one for sale on Gumtree is the version 1)

* $2,099.00 (DigitalRev)
* $2,299.00 (Photo Continental)
* $2,499.95 (Teds)

Paying double the price gets me the latest version of the lens and the guarantee that it works.
"The argument doesn't work with me. Go back to your cracker jack lifestyle and I'll meet you at the evolutionary bell curve ... I'll be sitting there a while, it's kind of a tortoise and the hare story." - Bill Hicks

Ted
1000RPM

Post by Ted » Tue 10 Sep, 2013 5:23 pm

By the time you pay to get the ring fixed up, you may as well get a new one (assuming that its a business item and you can claim GST plus deductions).
You get a warranty to boot, plus the latest version.

If you are happy to keep using it as is, then there is a saving. Work out what you reckon you can sell it for. If its over $1K, then its a no brainer I think. Grab it and use it.
Motorsport is a disease, where the only cure is poverty.

daBOODA
Mr. Diplomacy

Post by daBOODA » Tue 10 Sep, 2013 7:04 pm

I'm a sole trader at the moment and I'm not registered for GST but my accountant does claim equipment for me. I'm not sure how GST works with equipment (i.e. not stock).

I might just leave it for now. I'm sure he's legit but I think I'd prefer to wait until a local seller pops up.

cGr
Intuition

Post by cGr » Tue 10 Sep, 2013 7:14 pm

I would be cautious of buying it, and I think you're more particular than me - I think you're right to let it go through to the keeper for that price.

The other thing is that you'll have this lens for life, these type of things don't move on well (as a third or fourth sale), so you end up dropping the price to stupid levels.

The only thing I would consider is completely lowballing the dude at $800 for it. If he takes it, you score a good lens for cheap that you can afford to fix if it ever breaks. If not, then you've lost nothing.