Point and shoot with a slight difference

Think you're the next George Schaub or Annie Leibovitz? Show us what you've got in here, along with other tech advice or news

Moderators: German, DreamensioN

Jnr_Zilla
Power Suits are for Pussies
Drives: FPV F6

Point and shoot with a slight difference

Post by Jnr_Zilla » Wed 25 Sep, 2013 10:50 am

With an impending trip to Mt Kilimanjaro in Dec this year I'm looking for a point and shoot camera that can handle the harsh environment.

I've read reviews and seen video's of folks who have struggled with camera's at the altitude/temp ranges down to -40 Celsius.. Things like camera won't turn on etc.

Is there something people recommend I look at to possibly avoid some of these environmental factors. I'll have an iphone 5s on me also but I don't want to rely on a camera phone.

Other requirements is the battery needs to be chargeable through a USB port as we'll be recharging gear with a Nomad 7 Solar panel.

Short version req's:
1. Handle Harsh environmental factors.
2. USB Rechargable battery
3. Light weight

Cheers
"Ling-Ling... you forgot your Bling-Bling"

iano
glass always half empty
Drives: by my own accord

Re: Point and shoot with a slight difference

Post by iano » Wed 25 Sep, 2013 10:55 am

Olympus make the toughest point shoots, always have
This isn't life, it's just stuff. And it's become more important to you than living. Well, honey, that's just nuts

Splash
pants
Drives: with eyes closed

Post by Splash » Wed 25 Sep, 2013 11:00 am

Gopro?

Latest survey shows that 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the world's population

daBOODA
Mr. Diplomacy
Drives: sda0

Post by daBOODA » Wed 25 Sep, 2013 11:43 am

yeah sounds like GoPro is the ... go ...
"The argument doesn't work with me. Go back to your cracker jack lifestyle and I'll meet you at the evolutionary bell curve ... I'll be sitting there a while, it's kind of a tortoise and the hare story." - Bill Hicks

Jnr_Zilla

Post by Jnr_Zilla » Wed 25 Sep, 2013 11:55 am

Didn't think of Gopro given I've got a Hero2 already.

I spose another thing I should have been specific on is I don't intend on taking video much if at all, so the primary function is still photographs. That being said there is no reason I can't take the gopro as well but I would like something for still photographs like a normal point and shoot camera where I can zoom/flash/review images as I won't have a laptop or anything to see the images on till I return home.

daBOODA
Mr. Diplomacy

Post by daBOODA » Wed 25 Sep, 2013 12:08 pm

What about this one: http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/product ... x-wg-3-gps

No matter what camera I search for I can't see anything about handling changes in humidity, temperature and air pressure.

When you're handling the camera in very cold or hot environments you have to try to control temperature changes. When you go into the aircon after being out in scorching heat try to let the camera cool down slowly otherwise and vice versa when going into a heated room after being out in the cold.
"The argument doesn't work with me. Go back to your cracker jack lifestyle and I'll meet you at the evolutionary bell curve ... I'll be sitting there a while, it's kind of a tortoise and the hare story." - Bill Hicks

iano
glass always half empty

Post by iano » Wed 25 Sep, 2013 12:37 pm

Olympus Stylus TG-2 would be my pick

http://www.olympus.com.au/Products/Styl ... /TG-2.aspx

They seem to be the pick of tough weatherproof cameras. Neg 40c I doubt any camera is going to work very effectively if at all, but that model has been tested to neg 10 without any problems. It'd be more than capable of scaling Kilimanjaro I'd imagine.
This isn't life, it's just stuff. And it's become more important to you than living. Well, honey, that's just nuts

Jnr_Zilla

Post by Jnr_Zilla » Wed 25 Sep, 2013 5:01 pm

Thanks guys will take a look at the suggestions.

dan
argument inc
Drives: German's mum........

Post by dan » Wed 25 Sep, 2013 5:37 pm

the problem with -40deg temps is that batteries do not work at that temperature. it is physically too cold for the chemical reactions needed for the battery to generate electricity. you will have this problem with pretty much every single electronic device imaginable unfortunately. most people get around it by keeping the camera/battery next to their body - either inside their jacket or sleeping bag.

i don't think you need to bother with a "rugged" camera - these come into their own in wet environments and there won't be much water around at -40c!! i reckon you should get a normal point that'll take quality photos - something like a lumix tz40. i have taken one skiing for a week and it was fine - just put it somewhere you're unlikely to fall on (like your chest pocket). if you are worried then get a waterproof carry case, but a little bit of snow won't hurt it, and if it's bucketing snow you won't be taking photos anyway - they will look shite.
camo means mogg, and mogg means business

Jnr_Zilla

Post by Jnr_Zilla » Wed 25 Sep, 2013 6:26 pm

That's what I've read also Dan in regards to batteries, hence I just wanted to know if any of the photography buffs knew of something that would be more resistant to it before I went out and bought just a standard point and shoot.

I do like the altitude/gps features of the rugged camera's.. Its time to read some more reviews and make a decision soon.

cGr
Intuition

Post by cGr » Wed 25 Sep, 2013 7:38 pm

+1 on what dan said.

Shock proof cameras are a waste of time if you ask me. Fine if its waterproof and its being thrown around in the back of a boat, but I doubt you will see much water at altitude, and caring for your gear shouldn't be an issue.

As for the temperature thing... There's an easy fix by keeping the camera close to your body. If your body is hitting -10deg C then you've got bigger issues than taking photos. Batteries aren't too bad either. Take a few, and keep a couple close to your body while 1 is in the camera. If the 1 in the camera doesn't work, just swap it out. If you're really concerned, get those chemical glove/foot packs for them, and throw it in a glove with one of those.

If it were me, I would take multiple cameras for backups. Quality gear has a better chance of working at lower temperatures (or at least, working again after dropping to a low temperature), compared to cheap stuff. The iphone has less (zero?) moving parts, so temperature of the battery aside, it runs a good chance of continuing to work. My sister took her DSLR to Everest base camp without a problem (except for battery life).

Biggest issue if you ask me is finding a camera to charge via the usb port, or at least, have a usb charger. From that point of view I would almost consider an old cheapy P&S with AA batteries.

iano
glass always half empty

Post by iano » Wed 25 Sep, 2013 8:14 pm

Another thing to consider: How easily can you work with a pair of gloves on.

Exposed body extremities suck the heat out of you like anything. If it really is -10c, yet the only way to get a photo is to rip your gloves off, your fingers are going to go numb faster than the shutter on the camera itself....

I found this when hiking Dove Lake/Cradle Mtn on our honeymoon. Temp would have easily been zero or a touch below, plus there was wind yet my hands with polartec mittens were able to work a DSLR no trouble at all.

dan
argument inc
Drives: German's mum........

Post by dan » Wed 25 Sep, 2013 10:30 pm

iano, that's an excellent point. make sure you try it with a set of down gloves on!!

cam, a lot of recent p&s cameras have the charger built into the camera. so you just connect a usb cable to the camera and to a power source and then you're good to go. my nex-5 has this for example, and so does the panasonic tz40 that i suggested earlier ;) it also has GPS and takes pretty excellent photos. you could even get an underwater case for it if you were super-worried.

one thing that you'll want to do a bit of reading on is condensation inside the camera. i think it'll affect every single camera in the same way - but basically if you take your camera into a warm hut after being out in the super freezing cold then you might get some problems i you start using it right away??
camo means mogg, and mogg means business

Jnr_Zilla

Post by Jnr_Zilla » Wed 25 Sep, 2013 10:54 pm

GPS and altitude are nice novelty features for some of the camera's, taking a photo and having the altitude and gps stored with the image would be nice..

Gloves will be taken into account good suggestion Ian though in most cases removing them for short periods won't be an issue.. I'm a more set it to auto point and shoot type of photographer and the inners we have are lined with rubber grip type material.

The solar panel pack we are taking has a 12V output as well as USB so charging camera/phone/ipod batteries isn't too much of an issue but if it accepts charge via USB that's a bonus.

Condensation maybe an issue but we'll be in tents the whole way, inside goretex jackets etc condensation does happen so will see about storage while keeping bits warm and dry.

spitex
GTiR wannabe

Post by spitex » Thu 26 Sep, 2013 8:41 am

iano wrote:Olympus make the toughest point shoots, always have
Thread is over, iano has spoken.

Locking shortly.

daBOODA
Mr. Diplomacy

Post by daBOODA » Thu 26 Sep, 2013 8:52 am

>_<

SecaBoy
Mr Indecisive

Post by SecaBoy » Thu 26 Sep, 2013 8:52 am

^^ :lol: FUCKIN LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1991 Toyota Corolla Seca ==> SOLD
2001 Subaru Impreza WRX ==> SOLD
2006 Honda Accord Euro Luxury ==> SOLD
1990 Nissan Silvia RB20DET ==> SOLD
2008 Toyota TRD Aurion 3500SL ==> SOLD
2010 Ford Falcon XR6T ==> SOLD
:cry
2016 VW Polo 81TSI DSG

Splash
pants
Drives: with eyes closed

Post by Splash » Thu 26 Sep, 2013 9:09 am

Latest survey shows that 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the world's population

Jnr_Zilla

Post by Jnr_Zilla » Sat 28 Sep, 2013 9:30 am

spitex wrote:
iano wrote:Olympus make the toughest point shoots, always have
Thread is over, iano has spoken.

Locking shortly.
Funny you mention it as I ended up buying the TG-2 that Iano suggested after reading some reviews and comparisons it seemed to fit the bill of what I was looking for.

spitex
GTiR wannabe

Post by spitex » Sat 28 Sep, 2013 2:43 pm

Personally, I have always bought Canon for P&S cameras. International parts availability and servicing has just always been easy.

That said, I know nothing about cameras.