Recommendations - P&S / Decent Camera for EuroTrip

Think you're the next George Schaub or Annie Leibovitz? Show us what you've got in here, along with other tech advice or news

Moderators: German, DreamensioN

spitex
GTiR wannabe
Drives: FPV F6

Recommendations - P&S / Decent Camera for EuroTrip

Post by spitex » Tue 11 Mar, 2014 11:38 am

I am heading to Europe later this year. I am not a camera nerd but if I buy something I want it to do the following.

Take great pictures.
Easy to carry around/use.
Not too expensive if I lose it.

Youtube Link

This is the one I am thinking about. It looks low maintenance, rugged and fun. It's a little too bulky for my entire preference, but it seems like a good choice!

http://www.jbhifi.com.au/photo/digital- ... ku-460700/

Other than this one, I would consider a Canon IXUS - Just cause I am a huge fan from a long time ago, but given this AW1 is waterproof + rugged and not stupidly priced, It has peaked my interest.

spitex
GTiR wannabe

Re: Recommendations - P&S / Decent Camera for EuroTrip

Post by spitex » Tue 11 Mar, 2014 11:44 am

I also realise an IXUS is about $200-300 vs this at $900.

I imagine at Tomorrowland we're going to get rained on/beer spilled etc, so waterproof is nice!

dan
argument inc
Drives: German's mum........

Post by dan » Tue 11 Mar, 2014 2:17 pm

the answer to these questions is always this:
http://www.jbhifi.com.au/photo/digital- ... ku-384733/

one of these would also be fun
http://www.jbhifi.com.au/photo/digital- ... ku-355872/

the shock/waterproof things are barely better than an iphone camera, i wouldn't bother.
camo means mogg, and mogg means business

spitex
GTiR wannabe

Post by spitex » Tue 11 Mar, 2014 2:40 pm

While I agree dan, often you cannot have one without the other, it seem the AW1 is particularly well received. I haven't done a lot of research and I don't understand what makes good cameras BUT it seems to fit my requirements, and general reviews seem positive.

dan
argument inc
Drives: German's mum........

Post by dan » Tue 11 Mar, 2014 3:43 pm

sorry mate, when i said waterproof i meant the smaller things like a lumix ft - http://www.jbhifi.com.au/photo/digital- ... ku-384727/

i didn't realise that you could now get better waterproof cameras. it's a really interesting development, but i am not sure if it changes much. i have owned a couple of these small interchangeable lens cameras... first i had a sony nex-f3 that i sold because the stocko lens was too big to carry it around like a pocket-size camera. i sold it because i found the newer model that comes with a much smaller body and much smaller stocko lens - a nex-3n - for a bargain price. i still find that the camera is just that little bit too big to carry around in my pockets.

i really like the idea of a small camera that is nearly as good and nearly as flexible as a DSLR, but sadly, these cameras are not small enough. from what i can tell, the AW1 is about the same size as the nex-f3. so purely on the basis of size, i would not recommend it as a travel camera because it is a pain to carry around.

i have previously owned a lumix tz and it was a truly fantastic travel camera.

you are welcome to borrow my 3n for a week or two if you like. i'd be happy to sell it to you as well, or trade it for a lumix tz ;)
camo means mogg, and mogg means business

dorift
I love lamp
Drives: Toyota Hilux Diablo

Post by dorift » Tue 11 Mar, 2014 3:59 pm

spitex wrote:I am heading to Europe later this year. I am not a camera nerd but if I buy something I want it to do the following.

Take great pictures.
Easy to carry around/use.
Not too expensive if I lose it.

Youtube Link

This is the one I am thinking about. It looks low maintenance, rugged and fun. It's a little too bulky for my entire preference, but it seems like a good choice!

http://www.jbhifi.com.au/photo/digital- ... ku-460700/

Other than this one, I would consider a Canon IXUS - Just cause I am a huge fan from a long time ago, but given this AW1 is waterproof + rugged and not stupidly priced, It has peaked my interest.
*piqued

nods in Eric's direction
89 Corolla SX
90 Pulsar GTiR
95 Barina GSi
98 200sx
04 Forester XT
99 Hilux ute (woohoo!)

spitex
GTiR wannabe

Post by spitex » Tue 11 Mar, 2014 4:20 pm

Yeh, I too think with a lens, it's probably a bit of a liability in a pit of 100,000 people dancing in the rain ..... but hey, it really seems like a nice Camera and fits the bill in every other way.

An IXUS would do me fine really, but if I am going to spend some money, this one looks like it might be ok.

SecaBoy
Mr Indecisive

Post by SecaBoy » Tue 11 Mar, 2014 4:37 pm

GoPro. :P
1991 Toyota Corolla Seca ==> SOLD
2001 Subaru Impreza WRX ==> SOLD
2006 Honda Accord Euro Luxury ==> SOLD
1990 Nissan Silvia RB20DET ==> SOLD
2008 Toyota TRD Aurion 3500SL ==> SOLD
2010 Ford Falcon XR6T ==> SOLD
:cry
2016 VW Polo 81TSI DSG

daBOODA
Mr. Diplomacy
Drives: sda0

Post by daBOODA » Tue 11 Mar, 2014 5:00 pm

Does that NIKON 1 AW1 come with a smaller lens? Personally I prefer a P&S that can slide into my pocket.

If you're fine with it hanging around your neck all the time then ignore that.
"The argument doesn't work with me. Go back to your cracker jack lifestyle and I'll meet you at the evolutionary bell curve ... I'll be sitting there a while, it's kind of a tortoise and the hare story." - Bill Hicks

spitex
GTiR wannabe

Post by spitex » Tue 11 Mar, 2014 5:05 pm

SecaBoy wrote:GoPro. :P
This was a consideration, but apparently you have no idea what you're taking a picture of ....

spitex
GTiR wannabe

Post by spitex » Tue 11 Mar, 2014 5:15 pm

The following lenses can be used with the camera - but obviously you get no waterproof with those on there.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Produc ... index.page

You can get the TWO waterproof lenses - here's the size.
nikon-lenses.png
nikon-lenses.png (235.69 KiB) Viewed 18516 times

SecaBoy
Mr Indecisive

Post by SecaBoy » Tue 11 Mar, 2014 5:21 pm

spitex wrote:
SecaBoy wrote:GoPro. :P
This was a consideration, but apparently you have no idea what you're taking a picture of ....
you do if you get the wifi one. but then again, as soon as you turn the wifi on, the battery life sucks dong.
2016 VW Polo 81TSI DSG

cGr
Intuition

Post by cGr » Tue 11 Mar, 2014 7:28 pm

I'm not generally a fan of waterproof cameras, either they are suckful at being water proof or taking good photos, or (usually) are suckful at both. That AW1 might be a step up, but then the size will be a bitch. If you were boods you could put it in your fanny pack to keep your hands free, but for most people the need to either hang it around your neck/put it in a bag/hold it (ugh) is too much. And then you're going to get it bumped/broken/left somewhere anyway.

I like the idea of a go pro for a waterproof P&S, but no screen is a big downer. If you already had one, then it might be a consideration.

If waterproof is a necessity, I'd buy something like this (Fuji for $199: http://www.teds.com.au/fuji-xp60) for $199, then spend another $3-400 on a good quality ixus (S200 for $324: http://www.teds.com.au/canon-powershot-s200), and call it a day.

Benefits:
- Cheaper than a "good" waterproof
- You have a good camera when you want a good camera, and you have a throw away camera for when you don't want to have to worry about it
- You can lose/stand on/forget/drop/break a $200 camera and not cry in your weetbix about breaking/losing our $900 waterproof/oversize monstrosity that you wish you hadn't bought because its a pain in the arse to lug around
- Any P&S slips into your pocket, and you can forget about it. You're not going to take photos (though taking photos will be nice), and you want to enjoy the music and not have to worry about the hassle of a larger camera
- You have a camera you can take in the pool and not get concerned about exactly how waterproof it is

Downsides:
- You have two cameras
- You will need two chargers
- You don't get replaceable lenses (but lets be honest, are you really going to change them that much?

Think of it as having a PC and a laptop - its best fit for purpose.

spitex
GTiR wannabe

Post by spitex » Tue 11 Mar, 2014 9:08 pm

Good feedback cgr, thanks. As much as I like the AW1, im not the most outdoors person, so after my trip I'm not sure it will continue to be used to it's potential, that an IXUS couldn't do.

Evan
Nice WRX Fuckhead
Drives: audi. what a c##t!

Post by Evan » Fri 21 Mar, 2014 6:41 am

keep in mind, with the P&S cameras that have removable lenses - they typically don't allow them to concerts/festivals as they class them as 'professional'.

i just picked up one of these. its great.

http://www.dpreview.com/products/sony/c ... y_dschx50v
aka gti-R

Ted
1000RPM

Post by Ted » Fri 21 Mar, 2014 7:16 am

This topic is something I have been looking at lately. We are going to Phuket for a wedding in a couple of weeks, and I found out recently that we are there for the Thai New Year (Songkran). They celebrate this with water, lots of it. Definitely not the environment for the Leica.

So after lots of to'ing and fro'ing, I have decided to take my old Canon IXUS (its JCs to use normally) and let it be sacrificial. I will take my chances in keeping it dry for the three days of festivities, and its also small enough to slip into a pocket when the buckets of water appear. If it dies, I will just buy another p&s at that time.

Going with the mantra - Look to the future, but not for just one day.

Ryan - for the other lots of days in Europe, get the camera with the widest lens. Photo opportunities are plentiful and wide.
Motorsport is a disease, where the only cure is poverty.

Jon 51
1000RPM

Post by Jon 51 » Fri 28 Mar, 2014 1:10 pm

I had one of the cheap waterproof fuji's. it was fun,the photos from it weren't that bad, surprisingly good underwater, but weren't much better then a good phone out of it. but yeah, barely used it and it's dead after a year. really should of kept the receipt, in the box. it might just be a dead battery.

dorift
I love lamp
Drives: Toyota Hilux Diablo

Post by dorift » Thu 16 Apr, 2015 7:54 am

Any reviews for nikon s2800?
What are they like as an entry level camera?
I'll probably drop the hundred odd bucks and get it, just want something convenient (tiny) for my holiday. Will hardly use it once I return unless it does something remarkable.
Have a dead ixus that wasn't being used much anyway, and a Fuji waterproof job but it takes terrible photos... The nikon looks an ideal little size.
89 Corolla SX
90 Pulsar GTiR
95 Barina GSi
98 200sx
04 Forester XT
99 Hilux ute (woohoo!)

SecaBoy
Mr Indecisive

Post by SecaBoy » Thu 16 Apr, 2015 12:34 pm

inlaws bought one for their holiday and didnt have any complaints.
good enough for happy snaps. :)
2016 VW Polo 81TSI DSG

iano
glass always half empty
Drives: by my own accord

Post by iano » Fri 17 Apr, 2015 8:23 pm

Should be able to get one well below 200 bucks - old design from 2014. Image quality will be fine for daylight shots but completely shit at night. It's an entry level compact so you'll have caveats. Have also read that it vignettes like a bitch at the widest setting.

Bang for buck though it's a tempting option.
This isn't life, it's just stuff. And it's become more important to you than living. Well, honey, that's just nuts