I'm not generally a fan of waterproof cameras, either they are suckful at being water proof or taking good photos, or (usually) are suckful at both. That AW1 might be a step up, but then the size will be a bitch. If you were boods you could put it in your fanny pack to keep your hands free, but for most people the need to either hang it around your neck/put it in a bag/hold it (ugh) is too much. And then you're going to get it bumped/broken/left somewhere anyway.
I like the idea of a go pro for a waterproof P&S, but no screen is a big downer. If you already had one, then it might be a consideration.
If waterproof is a necessity, I'd buy something like this (Fuji for $199: http://www.teds.com.au/fuji-xp60
) for $199, then spend another $3-400 on a good quality ixus (S200 for $324: http://www.teds.com.au/canon-powershot-s200
), and call it a day.
- Cheaper than a "good" waterproof
- You have a good camera when you want a good camera, and you have a throw away camera for when you don't want to have to worry about it
- You can lose/stand on/forget/drop/break a $200 camera and not cry in your weetbix about breaking/losing our $900 waterproof/oversize monstrosity that you wish you hadn't bought because its a pain in the arse to lug around
- Any P&S slips into your pocket, and you can forget about it. You're not going to take photos (though taking photos will be nice), and you want to enjoy the music and not have to worry about the hassle of a larger camera
- You have a camera you can take in the pool and not get concerned about exactly how waterproof it is
- You have two cameras
- You will need two chargers
- You don't get replaceable lenses (but lets be honest, are you really going to change them that
Think of it as having a PC and a laptop - its best fit for purpose.