GODOX v850c

Think you're the next George Schaub or Annie Leibovitz? Show us what you've got in here, along with other tech advice or news

Moderators: German, DreamensioN

daBOODA
Mr. Diplomacy
Drives: sda0

GODOX v850c

Post by daBOODA » Thu 24 Apr, 2014 10:22 pm

I've been looking for non Canon TTL speed lights to replace my ageing 580EX. I want a third party brand because the Canon ones are 3 times the price of the average third party unit.

Well I think I like these GODOX flashes. They originally came in manual only (which is fine but I need TTL for run and gun). The two cool features of both the manual and TTL models are:

* Trigger that allows you to change the manual flash setting from the on camera trigger
* The battery is a single unit which has the same juice as 12 AA batteries!

Review on Flash Havoc: http://flashhavoc.com/godox-v850-ving-review/

"The argument doesn't work with me. Go back to your cracker jack lifestyle and I'll meet you at the evolutionary bell curve ... I'll be sitting there a while, it's kind of a tortoise and the hare story." - Bill Hicks

dorift
I love lamp
Drives: Toyota Hilux Diablo

Re: GODOX v850c

Post by dorift » Fri 25 Apr, 2014 5:26 am

Holy shit, that looks like a great bit of gear for such a low price!
I was only skimming but saw $120? (usd I presume). I have a Yongnuo and wouldn't hesitate recommending it but that looks so much nicer for only a little more than I spent.
89 Corolla SX
90 Pulsar GTiR
95 Barina GSi
98 200sx
04 Forester XT
99 Hilux ute (woohoo!)

daBOODA
Mr. Diplomacy

Post by daBOODA » Fri 25 Apr, 2014 11:17 am

I see the TTL ones for ~ $200 on ebay.

I was considering the Yongnuo ones that were GN 58 (same as these GODOX ones) but Yongnou do make slightly more powerful ones.

Considering the Canon or Nikon TTL flashes are $700+ it makes more sense to get these cheaper units.
"The argument doesn't work with me. Go back to your cracker jack lifestyle and I'll meet you at the evolutionary bell curve ... I'll be sitting there a while, it's kind of a tortoise and the hare story." - Bill Hicks

dorift
I love lamp
Drives: Toyota Hilux Diablo

Post by dorift » Fri 25 Apr, 2014 5:58 pm

I use the Eneloops and don't have a drama, I can't understand the maths on a 2000mah battery giving 650 shots. Maybe I should count how many I get from the sanyos but it doesn't feel like that many.
You're welcome to borrow my flash if you want to test it though before buying. I picked it up for under a 100 when usd was down but still great value at ~120 or so.
89 Corolla SX
90 Pulsar GTiR
95 Barina GSi
98 200sx
04 Forester XT
99 Hilux ute (woohoo!)

daBOODA
Mr. Diplomacy

Post by daBOODA » Fri 25 Apr, 2014 8:00 pm

Nah I think I'm going to go with the GODOX's. The battery unit alone is going to be a life saver!

Gah I wish I had the time to organise another flash play date. I've been watching some Creative Live videos and I'm keen to try out some new techniques!