Photo Continental

Think you're the next George Schaub or Annie Leibovitz? Show us what you've got in here, along with other tech advice or news

Moderators: German, DreamensioN

cGr
Intuition

Re: Photo Continental

Post by cGr » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 7:21 pm

iano wrote:When PC shuts down..............
Fixed.

Read this if you haven't realised where film is going.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... close.html

daBOODA
Mr. Diplomacy
Drives: sda0

Post by daBOODA » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 7:29 pm

Onwards and upwards. Yes it's a good idea not to change the mount every year but to keep a mount when changing it will deliver to many benefits just so you can say you've never changed the mount is too OCD.

RE: stores, the worst service I've gotten from a camera store is from the Camera House at Carindale. I asked if I could try the 5D3 and he told me that they're not letting anyone try them out. He did let me look through the menu system (yay).

Most camera stores are geared towards people not knowing anything about the models they sell. They can do their sales pitches to you then. If you go in with an interest in a specific model then they don't want to help you because they figure you're just going to try the gear out in their shop then fuck off and buy it online. Which is correct, because that shop lists everything at RRP.
"The argument doesn't work with me. Go back to your cracker jack lifestyle and I'll meet you at the evolutionary bell curve ... I'll be sitting there a while, it's kind of a tortoise and the hare story." - Bill Hicks

daBOODA
Mr. Diplomacy

Post by daBOODA » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 7:30 pm

SecaBoy wrote:lol @ the nikon/canon rivalry coming into any thread about cameras. :P
From my end it's just light hearted tomfoolery. Anyone that truly marries themselves to a brand is kidding themselves.
"The argument doesn't work with me. Go back to your cracker jack lifestyle and I'll meet you at the evolutionary bell curve ... I'll be sitting there a while, it's kind of a tortoise and the hare story." - Bill Hicks

daBOODA
Mr. Diplomacy

Post by daBOODA » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 7:33 pm

cGr wrote:
iano wrote:When PC shuts down..............
Fixed.

Read this if you haven't realised where film is going.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... close.html

That's just Kodachrome. There's still quite a bit of film going on, just not as much as before.

dan
argument inc
Drives: German's mum........

Post by dan » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 8:34 pm

how
fucking
cool

is yodabashi camera?
camo means mogg, and mogg means business

daBOODA
Mr. Diplomacy

Post by daBOODA » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 8:39 pm

Ted wrote:I am over being treated with disdain, and I am also not a big Internet shopper.
PC treated you with disdain or are you talking about something else?

cGr
Intuition

Post by cGr » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 9:26 pm

iano wrote:Heritage and exclusivity.
Take cars for example (afterall, this is still redline), you don't see Nick Mason saying that his LaFerrari engine will fit in his 250 GTO, or for that matter why you'd want to. I've got no problem with classic kit (have two film cameras), but being proud of a 60 old lens fitting on a modern camera is a bit too hipster for my liking - mostly because people will do it solely to get that classic look/vibe/circle jerk thing going.
iano wrote:Picked up a Nikon F601 film SLR

Find me a Canon SLR from the early 90s that even still works
Plenty of Canon AE-1's still rocking around, first made in 1976 which makes it old enough to almost be the father of your F601.

Ted
1000RPM

Post by Ted » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 11:27 pm

Yodabashi was actually very overwhelming. So much good stuff, and all you can play with. But just so much stuff everywhere I didn't know where to look.

I stopped going to PC about 3 yrs ago. Prior to that, I think my choice of body (300d) just didn't stack up to their norm customer.
Motorsport is a disease, where the only cure is poverty.

iano
glass always half empty
Drives: by my own accord

Post by iano » Tue 24 Mar, 2015 6:41 am

B&H New York is on my bucket list one day. But rather ironically considering this thread, their trading hours are odd, inconvenient and don't make sense unless you're Jewish. They close the store on a whim - and often.
This isn't life, it's just stuff. And it's become more important to you than living. Well, honey, that's just nuts

cGr
Intuition

Post by cGr » Tue 24 Mar, 2015 9:17 pm

I've been to B&H, its epic. Great second hand department too :P

iano
glass always half empty

Post by iano » Wed 25 Mar, 2015 6:20 am

Yep I had a Tokina ultra wide bought on my behalf from them and dammit why did I sell it :( Oh yeah because it doesn't fit on a full frame. But oh yeah you still have a perfectly good D7000 DX body eenoe....
This isn't life, it's just stuff. And it's become more important to you than living. Well, honey, that's just nuts

SecaBoy
Mr Indecisive

Post by SecaBoy » Wed 25 Mar, 2015 2:21 pm

i loved B&H. spent about 4hrs in there and then got dragged out because if i didnt, i would have spent thousands!
1991 Toyota Corolla Seca ==> SOLD
2001 Subaru Impreza WRX ==> SOLD
2006 Honda Accord Euro Luxury ==> SOLD
1990 Nissan Silvia RB20DET ==> SOLD
2008 Toyota TRD Aurion 3500SL ==> SOLD
2010 Ford Falcon XR6T ==> SOLD
:cry
2016 VW Polo 81TSI DSG

cGr
Intuition

Post by cGr » Wed 25 Mar, 2015 5:22 pm

iano wrote:Yep I had a Tokina ultra wide bought on my behalf from them and dammit why did I sell it :( Oh yeah because it doesn't fit on a full frame. But oh yeah you still have a perfectly good D7000 DX body eenoe....
Ummmm....
iano wrote:Find me a Canon SLR from the early 90s that even still works and oh wait hang on....can accept every Canon lens ever made since 1959 actually fuck that just forget it.
Am I missing something here?

daBOODA
Mr. Diplomacy

Post by daBOODA » Wed 25 Mar, 2015 6:27 pm

lol I'm sure it fits, it just gives you an ugly, circular vignette :P

iano
glass always half empty

Post by iano » Wed 25 Mar, 2015 7:10 pm

you're a dickhead Cameron.

cGr
Intuition

Post by cGr » Wed 25 Mar, 2015 7:19 pm

I couldn't find a good pants on fire meme, so you'll have to live with this.
zfa72r.jpg
zfa72r.jpg (52.67 KiB) Viewed 8845 times

Splash
pants
Drives: with eyes closed

Post by Splash » Wed 25 Mar, 2015 7:27 pm

Latest survey shows that 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the world's population

cGr
Intuition

Post by cGr » Wed 25 Mar, 2015 7:31 pm

:thumb

That'll do little pig, that'll do.