USB packaging for client's digital photos

Think you're the next George Schaub or Annie Leibovitz? Show us what you've got in here, along with other tech advice or news

Moderators: German, DreamensioN

daBOODA
Mr. Diplomacy
Drives: sda0

USB packaging for client's digital photos

Post by daBOODA » Thu 23 Jul, 2015 10:43 am

So I ordered 3 of these sets to see how they are. If they're good I'll order more to get a volume discount but they're about $75US a set. I just want to present wedding clients with more than just a crappy DVD.

The USB company sent me proofs of what my logo will look like on them.
image001.png
image001.png (193.95 KiB) Viewed 18979 times
image002.png
image002.png (8.46 KiB) Viewed 18979 times

And the box actually looks like this (their usb drive is different to the one I ordered):
Ghionis_Flash_Bo_51d331c774d51.jpg
Ghionis_Flash_Bo_51d331c774d51.jpg (152.5 KiB) Viewed 18979 times
"The argument doesn't work with me. Go back to your cracker jack lifestyle and I'll meet you at the evolutionary bell curve ... I'll be sitting there a while, it's kind of a tortoise and the hare story." - Bill Hicks

SecaBoy
Mr Indecisive

Re: USB packaging for client's digital photos

Post by SecaBoy » Thu 23 Jul, 2015 1:01 pm

oooooOOOOOOOOoooooooo fannnccccyyyyy!!!!

great idea. i'm sure most people would appreciate it. :)

:thumb
1991 Toyota Corolla Seca ==> SOLD
2001 Subaru Impreza WRX ==> SOLD
2006 Honda Accord Euro Luxury ==> SOLD
1990 Nissan Silvia RB20DET ==> SOLD
2008 Toyota TRD Aurion 3500SL ==> SOLD
2010 Ford Falcon XR6T ==> SOLD
:cry
2016 VW Polo 81TSI DSG

iano
glass always half empty
Drives: by my own accord

Post by iano » Thu 23 Jul, 2015 1:53 pm

You're giving them something tangible that they can look, hold, feel, and above all else....desire!

Beautiful images can be just that but they will have SO much more impact presented like this, rather than in something plain. Total winner mate.
This isn't life, it's just stuff. And it's become more important to you than living. Well, honey, that's just nuts

daBOODA
Mr. Diplomacy

Post by daBOODA » Thu 23 Jul, 2015 2:30 pm

One thing I'm missing is a card that goes inside that tells the client to back up their photos. I don't care how much you pay for a USB drive, it's not going to hold its data forever.

When I order another batch of business cards I'll get the message printed on some Luxe mini cards: http://us.moo.com/products/luxe/minicards.html
"The argument doesn't work with me. Go back to your cracker jack lifestyle and I'll meet you at the evolutionary bell curve ... I'll be sitting there a while, it's kind of a tortoise and the hare story." - Bill Hicks

Splash
pants
Drives: with eyes closed

Post by Splash » Thu 23 Jul, 2015 4:21 pm

daBOODA wrote:One thing I'm missing is a card that goes inside that tells the client to back up their photos. I don't care how much you pay for a USB drive, it's not going to hold its data forever.
If they don't and lose them can they get the photos from you again? Are you planning to keep every photo forever?

I'm guessing you're going to need a lot of storage (and then backup) if you do..

Latest survey shows that 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the world's population

daBOODA
Mr. Diplomacy

Post by daBOODA » Thu 23 Jul, 2015 4:29 pm

I plan to hang on to the photos for as long as I can but I am going to put in my contract that once I deliver the photos then I am not obligated to store them for longer than X time so it's important for them to back up their wedding photos often and in multiple places. Chances are I can restore a past client's photos if they lose them but in case I can't I want to be covered legally.

I'm looking into 'cloud' storage options but to keep the costs down I might only store the last couple of years' worth of raw files. Anything older than a couple of years will go to JPEG on the cloud storage.

blv
Permantly Unavailable
Drives: MTB
Location: deep in the mists of boost, far beyond the thick cloud of tyre smoke

Post by blv » Thu 23 Jul, 2015 6:52 pm

Great idea mate!!! Looks the goods!!!

I have our wedding photos backed up on 2 different HDD's, on CD/DVD, on a USB stick, on Kate's parents PC, on my parents PC and on Kate's sisters laptop. Reckon that's overkill lol!!
I just don't know if people like me. I know when they don't like me 'cause they'll say things like, 'Yeah, that's him, officer.'

daBOODA
Mr. Diplomacy

Post by daBOODA » Thu 23 Jul, 2015 6:57 pm

Better than that losing the photos!

aleks
4000RPM

Post by aleks » Thu 23 Jul, 2015 10:15 pm

daBOODA
Mr. Diplomacy

Post by daBOODA » Thu 23 Jul, 2015 10:44 pm

Lots of good options there. My only concern with Etsy is that I'm not sure the sellers will continue to make the same thing if I find a packaging I like.

cGr
Intuition

Post by cGr » Sat 25 Jul, 2015 7:41 pm

Great idea, I would be looking to get the cost of the usb stick and deliver down to sub $30 if you're going to be including the cost in your packages. Above that, I see it as an expensive marketing tool/value add when a) a couple chose you for your photography skills first, b) it is not something that a couple will use more than a few times to give to family and friends to copy. If you got the couple's details on them rather than your logo, it may be a different story.

I personally see more value in a 'cloud' based solution where you can both deliver the images and offer a 10/20/50 year/lifetime backup of images as better value. Office 365 has unlimited Onedrive storage for $89/mth (as part of Office 365), and it wouldn't be hard to put a front end on to those images to make it look prettier (if need be). From a photography point of view I would keep the raw/psd files for a couple of years in case they want additional prints done, but only put up the .jpg images to the cloud (which @ 4000 wide px would be enough for prints anyway). 500 shots @ 5mb each = 2.5gb, so it shouldn't be a big deal uploading them either.

daBOODA
Mr. Diplomacy

Post by daBOODA » Sat 25 Jul, 2015 8:12 pm

cGr wrote:Great idea, I would be looking to get the cost of the usb stick and deliver down to sub $30 if you're going to be including the cost in your packages. Above that, I see it as an expensive marketing tool/value add when a) a couple chose you for your photography skills first, b) it is not something that a couple will use more than a few times to give to family and friends to copy. If you got the couple's details on them rather than your logo, it may be a different story.
Funny you mention the couple's name on the box rather than my logo. The album company I'm going to use for my albums are going to release a usb box that matches the box that their albums come in. I'm hoping they can print the couple's name on that box like the do on the album.

The company that sell the box I posted about don't do individual etchings. Each batch you order has to have a single design so I'd have to spring for a single unit batch for each wedding and that would make the combo even more expensive.

Having my branding on the box, I think, is fine. The cost is what it is and yes, I'm seeing it as a marketing expense. What I intend to charge next year will cover it and I'm banking on clients liking that they get something nice for their digitals even though they don't use the thing more than a few times. I can save some money if I order the 16gb version rather than the 32gb version and if I buy them in 25 or even 50 unit batches.

WRT clients feeling that I spent too much on the packaging, it's not like I have to tell them. Every wedding costs money for me to book both in marketing/advertising and in client meetings (coffee/wine/meals sometimes) and people understand that they, ultimately, are paying for it through the service fee.
cGr wrote:I personally see more value in a 'cloud' based solution where you can both deliver the images and offer a 10/20/50 year/lifetime backup of images as better value. Office 365 has unlimited Onedrive storage for $89/mth (as part of Office 365), and it wouldn't be hard to put a front end on to those images to make it look prettier (if need be). From a photography point of view I would keep the raw/psd files for a couple of years in case they want additional prints done, but only put up the .jpg images to the cloud (which @ 4000 wide px would be enough for prints anyway). 500 shots @ 5mb each = 2.5gb, so it shouldn't be a big deal uploading them either.
Nope, I'm not doing cloud delivery or online proofing (two different things). I want to send or delivery them their USB, album and perhaps a small gift so that they feel like it's a more tangible thing. Online proofing - for any products I sell them I want it to be an in person ordering session. I won't be organising prints for most clients as most clients will be booking packages that include digital copies of the photos. For products that they need to order from me they need to be sitting down with me.

cGr
Intuition

Post by cGr » Sun 26 Jul, 2015 2:42 pm

Cloud delivery makes no sense.

Cloud access to the photos after you've done all the in-person delivery, album, etc is what I was referring to.

daBOODA
Mr. Diplomacy

Post by daBOODA » Sun 26 Jul, 2015 3:05 pm

So like where the photos are online and they can order prints from that site?

Or they're online in a personal website?

iano
glass always half empty

Post by iano » Sun 26 Jul, 2015 3:33 pm

I think what he means is, that say a client fubared their machine or lost the USB or was lazy/naive and didn't make a backup...whatever. All it would then take to get those shots back is a phone call or even an email to their photographer, and they can log in and DL the JPEGs direct from the cloud.

And still keep the original RAWs saved off site. This does make sense - if the backups were stored on drives it could potentially mean a fair bit of pissing around to retrieve them.
This isn't life, it's just stuff. And it's become more important to you than living. Well, honey, that's just nuts

cGr
Intuition

Post by cGr » Sun 26 Jul, 2015 6:30 pm

daBOODA wrote:So like where the photos are online and they can order prints from that site?

Or they're online in a personal website?
Online on somewhere like onedrive. You can share a private link with security (log in with email address), or just a private link which anyone can see without authentication. It would be purely for the client sharing the photos, and I wouldn't recommend stuffing around with online print ordering. I would still be planning your work flow/client relations so that the initial lot of prints are done with you using higher-res/colour corrected files.

This is a basic example of onedrive sharing with a private link. https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=6 ... lder%2cJPG Resize your browser and the images move around, change sizes, etc. Dropbox with carousel would be better again, but you could brand a front end fairly easily with onedrive for business.

ian: Why not just give them the link from the start? It means they have all their photos already online to share.

PS - I would carefully consider the value of backing up raw's to the cloud. Assuming 1000 images for a standard shoot, the raw files alone will be ~25gb, and then whatever else in post, .psd files, or .jpg. At ADSL speeds you're looking at a few days to upload. Maybe upload jpg's to the cloud (a few gig), then keep raws for a couple of years on local storage. This is where my comment about jpegs being good enough to print from if they ever wanted to download the images and print some themselves. Eric's normal backup period could then apply to the raws/super hi-res copies.

daBOODA
Mr. Diplomacy

Post by daBOODA » Sun 26 Jul, 2015 7:02 pm

cGr wrote: Online on somewhere like onedrive. You can share a private link with security (log in with email address), or just a private link which anyone can see without authentication.
Yeah that's what I mean by "cloud/online delivery". I.e. the way they receive their digital files is through the internet. I'd rather give them the digital photos on a physical object that is presented in a nice way.
cGr wrote: This is a basic example of onedrive sharing with a private link. https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=6 ... lder%2cJPG Resize your browser and the images move around, change sizes, etc. Dropbox with carousel would be better again, but you could brand a front end fairly easily with onedrive for business.
I really want to gear my business towards print products. I do want to offer digital photos but only because everyone wants them (I don't want to be a grumpy old gruff that bemoans how it 'used to be').

I want to deal with the people that want the digital files as a security, not as the only product they need.

cGr wrote: ian: Why not just give them the link from the start? It means they have all their photos already online to share.

PS - I would carefully consider the value of backing up raw's to the cloud. Assuming 1000 images for a standard shoot, the raw files alone will be ~25gb, and then whatever else in post, .psd files, or .jpg. At ADSL speeds you're looking at a few days to upload. Maybe upload jpg's to the cloud (a few gig), then keep raws for a couple of years on local storage. This is where my comment about jpegs being good enough to print from if they ever wanted to download the images and print some themselves. Eric's normal backup period could then apply to the raws/super hi-res copies. I would still be planning your work flow so that the initial lot of prints are done with you using higher-res/colour corrected files.
It's between 64 and 100 GB per wedding for me now and it's a real problem for off site backup. I think your idea of jpegs only in the cloud in case of catastrophe is a good idea. I can also keep duplicate set of hard drives at my mum's house.

cGr
Intuition

Post by cGr » Sun 26 Jul, 2015 7:43 pm

I'm not going against your USB (entirely), but if you're going to back it up to the cloud anyway, then why not leverage this to your clients? Same goes for my comments about work flow and client relations, use this meeting (post-wedding, picture/album run through) to get your classic delivery mechanisms (album, canvas, etc, etc, etc) out of the way, then delivering the USB (if they want it) and cloud after once they've chosen their shots

64 and 100gb is what you shoot or what you keep? Working on 25mb/raw file, that's 2500-4000 shots. That seems like a lot of images to hold on to for 2 years. Do you post process all those?

iano
glass always half empty

Post by iano » Sun 26 Jul, 2015 7:51 pm

When I did some work for the same agency Eric's with, I was doing 2000+ shots per gig as that was the expectation. And no, a helluva lot of those were culled.

daBOODA
Mr. Diplomacy

Post by daBOODA » Sun 26 Jul, 2015 8:00 pm

I just don't want to offer it to clients.

The set up for my own backup is different to the setup for offering the service you're talking about to clients. I just don't want to go there and I don't think, at this point, it would be that enticing (things could change in the future).

I usually fill my 64gb card and sometimes I go over to my first 32 gb card. It's between 22-25mb per RAW file. Shot counts vary between 1800 and 3000 per wedding. There's about a 20-25% cull rate on those.

Right now I do not delete the culled photos. I do need to come up with a system of dividing up the culled photos into "definitely delete" and "keep just in case". There's test shots, out of focus shots etc that can just be deleted. There's shots that just don't look that great (bad composure, awkward facial expression, mid speech/blink) and there's duplicates (I do a lot of these to guard against blinks, eyes not looking at me, photo corruption etc).

With my work for LM they don't like it if I deliver less than X photos so I keep the dupes for them (don't get me started). Or my own jobs I'd rather choose the best from a set of similar photos but I'd still keep the rest as I've had people ask for alternative shots. I've had jobs where an LM client asked for alternatives to a photo I took and I just hadn't taken any others of that set up. They were not happy with the expression of one of the bridesmaids hah.

Technically I don't need to keep any photos beyond how long I promise I will but I like to for my own purposes plus I'm a digital hoarder