Editing process

Think you're the next George Schaub or Annie Leibovitz? Show us what you've got in here, along with other tech advice or news

Moderators: German, DreamensioN

daBOODA
Mr. Diplomacy
Drives: sda0

Editing process

Post by daBOODA » Fri 14 Aug, 2015 8:05 pm

I thought it'd nice to talk about how different a photo can look at varying stages.

During a wedding I shoot with two cards in my 5D Mark III. The Compact Flash card has RAW files recorded to it while the 32GB SD card has medium-fine JPEGs recorded to it for the same day slideshow and as a last resort back up.

When saving to JPEG and generating the preview for the RAW file the camera applies it's own processing to the photo using the picture styles (not sure what you call this in Nikon land) and the white balance setting that you set. You can play with these picture style and of course the white balance. These things don't matter for the RAW file, of course.

When I do the same day slideshow during the reception the photos I put in the show aren't the best they can look, especially when I play them on a TV. That doesn't matter because I like to think my shots are decent enough out of camera that unedited they still have the foundations of a good shot. Anyway, the medium-fine JPEG looks like this:
SOOC-JPEG.JPG
SOOC-JPEG.JPG (110.29 KiB) Viewed 3729 times
That's what goes into the slideshow. From this point on I don't use the medium-fie JPEGs any more.

When I get home I transfer the RAW files to two hard drives, import them into Lightroom then go to bed. The next day or two I choose a handful of shots that I want to put in the sneak peak on Facebook. Because I want to get these out fairly quickly I only do quick edits to them. I fix exposure, colour and do some radial filters to bring attention to the main subject of the image. These quick edits look *ok* but they're not the final version of the shot if it's going to be used for print. The majority of the photos stay in this state and they're delievered to the client digitally. This is how the photo looks before the quick edit:

SOOC-RAW.jpg
SOOC-RAW.jpg (87.89 KiB) Viewed 3729 times
And after the quick edit:
Quick-Edit.jpg
Quick-Edit.jpg (87.7 KiB) Viewed 3729 times
Last edited by daBOODA on Fri 14 Aug, 2015 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The argument doesn't work with me. Go back to your cracker jack lifestyle and I'll meet you at the evolutionary bell curve ... I'll be sitting there a while, it's kind of a tortoise and the hare story." - Bill Hicks

daBOODA
Mr. Diplomacy
Drives: sda0

Re: Editing process

Post by daBOODA » Fri 14 Aug, 2015 8:07 pm

Now for an album or a print I want to work the image a bit more than that. I want to fix up skin belimishes, clone out distractions and dodge and burn faces quite a bit and other areas more broadly. For this image, where the background is quite a lot brighter than the subject, I brought the exposure down enough in Lightroom so that the background doesn't look so blown out then I open it in Photoshop. Here's what it looks like when I open it in PS:
Pre-Photoshop.jpg
Pre-Photoshop.jpg (97.7 KiB) Viewed 3728 times
In photoshop I brought up the exposure on the bride, cleaned up any blemishes using frequency separation and then dodged & burned the bride's face to give her that dimensionality. I also cloned out the pole in the background and darkened the background a smidge.
Post-Photoshop.jpg
Post-Photoshop.jpg (91.11 KiB) Viewed 3728 times
"The argument doesn't work with me. Go back to your cracker jack lifestyle and I'll meet you at the evolutionary bell curve ... I'll be sitting there a while, it's kind of a tortoise and the hare story." - Bill Hicks

Ted
1000RPM

Re: Editing process

Post by Ted » Fri 14 Aug, 2015 11:40 pm

Thanks for that Eric. I now know a bit more about what I didn't know.
Motorsport is a disease, where the only cure is poverty.