HP Microserver: mod thread

For chat about everything, from the world of gadgets, to improving your home theatre setup.

Moderators: DreamensioN, Splash

Jonesy
1000RPM
Drives: Pootrol

Post by Jonesy » Fri 01 Jul, 2011 10:47 am

spite wrote: I have considered it but I don't have the tools to cut Metal.
Have angle grinder, will travel

dorift
I love lamp
Drives: Toyota Hilux Diablo

Post by dorift » Fri 01 Jul, 2011 11:00 am

Haven't seen it in real life, but based on other computer cases I can't see why a pair of tin snips (aviation shears) wouldn't cut through it.
About $5-10 @ supercheap if you don't have a pair and don't intend for regular use.
89 Corolla SX
90 Pulsar GTiR
95 Barina GSi
98 200sx
04 Forester XT
99 Hilux ute (woohoo!)

Splash
pants
Drives: with eyes closed

Post by Splash » Fri 01 Jul, 2011 11:33 am

spite wrote:Just letting you know, this mount allows you to put 2 x 3.5" drives in the top of the Microserver for a total of 6 x 3.5" drives in the chassis.

http://www.macfixit.com.au/shop/index.p ... uctId=1494

Nice, that's much more elegant than the bracket I hacked together, I might get one.

Also considering cutting underneath the bay like Statts did so I can fit a 7th 3.5". So far I haven't cut any metal from the server itself but I do have a dremel...

Latest survey shows that 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the world's population

spitex
GTiR wannabe
Drives: FPV F6

Post by spitex » Fri 01 Jul, 2011 11:44 am

Splash wrote: Also considering cutting underneath the bay like Statts did so I can fit a 7th 3.5". So far I haven't cut any metal from the server itself but I do have a dremel...
OOOOh, come and cut mine! :P

German
plays the skin flute
Drives: Ms Piggy.. Dans GF

Post by German » Fri 01 Jul, 2011 11:50 am

Splash, can you post up some pics. Just not so close this time. :P
dan wrote:i suck- please carry on! :)

Splash
pants

Post by Splash » Fri 01 Jul, 2011 11:58 am

Pics of what?

Latest survey shows that 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the world's population

German
plays the skin flute
Drives: Ms Piggy.. Dans GF

Post by German » Fri 01 Jul, 2011 12:01 pm

How and where you'll fit in the 7th drive.

Just like to see how and what others are doing it.
dan wrote:i suck- please carry on! :)

Jonesy
1000RPM

Post by Jonesy » Fri 01 Jul, 2011 12:47 pm

So i'm thinking of using mine just as a server running WHS, is there any point in getting more the 4gig of ram?

What i'm thinking of doing is

3x Western Digital 2TB Green 64MB SATAII WD20EARS (i've already got)
2 or 3x Hitachi 2TB SATA 6.0Gbs 32M CoolSpin
Kingston 30G SSD V-Series SATA2
Astone ISO SL230 Black 2.5 SATA to USB2.0 Compact Enclosure
Corsair TW3X4G1333C9A 4GB (2x XMS3 2GB) PC-10600 (1333MHz) DDR3
and a drive caddy to suit either 1 or 2 drives

Am i on the right path?

Jnr_Zilla
Power Suits are for Pussies

Post by Jnr_Zilla » Fri 01 Jul, 2011 12:57 pm

I don't think there will be a problem with different drive manufacturers in a raid array but the disk jockeys will know that for sure. I've always just had the same drive make and model in arrays.

4Gb with WHS 2011, shouldn't be an issue but more is always prefered I would think.

I think you also will want to do some whizbang flash of the WD drives to change the head resting time from 8sec to like 300 sec otherwise you age the drive very quickly in some cases. Ryan did a post on them a while back.

Also you will want to check WHS2011 has a system requirement of 160Gb so the SSD won't cut it. For my box running that I'm going to use the 250Gb drive that comes with the HP and sit it on top of a 5th 3.5in drive in the ODD bay. With SSD run linux variant/Win7Home premium/FreeNAS
"Ling-Ling... you forgot your Bling-Bling"

spitex
GTiR wannabe

Post by spitex » Fri 01 Jul, 2011 1:06 pm

Just make sure anyone of you buying RAM that you are buying sticks that are standard sizes or are Low Profile. There is about 2mm clearance on a standard DDR3 stick, so any big heat sinks etc aren't necessary nor will they fit.

Jonesy, you are on the right track. Just be aware, if using RAID, typically don't mix and match drive manufacturers, as differing disk performance can result and the array thinking a drive is 'bad'.

Splash
pants

Post by Splash » Fri 01 Jul, 2011 1:08 pm

Jonesy wrote:So i'm thinking of using mine just as a server running WHS, is there any point in getting more the 4gig of ram?

What i'm thinking of doing is

3x Western Digital 2TB Green 64MB SATAII WD20EARS (i've already got)
2 or 3x Hitachi 2TB SATA 6.0Gbs 32M CoolSpin
Kingston 30G SSD V-Series SATA2
Astone ISO SL230 Black 2.5 SATA to USB2.0 Compact Enclosure
Corsair TW3X4G1333C9A 4GB (2x XMS3 2GB) PC-10600 (1333MHz) DDR3
and a drive caddy to suit either 1 or 2 drives

Am i on the right path?
Really depends which version of WHS you're talking about. Either way, the SSD is pointless - As Jnr has already replied it's really only useful for linux/nas distros where you want to keep the OS drive separate from the RAID storage pool. I've never installed WHS 2011, but I know with WHS v1 the "system" drive is partitioned with 20GB for the O/S and software and whatever is left over is added to the storage pool. There's no point using a small drive for this. In fact you're better off using the biggest drive possible to maximise your available space.

If you're going to use WHS 2011 then you can make use of more than 4GB of RAM as it's a 64 bit OS.

WHS v1 is only 32 bit so it wont make use of any more than 4.

WHS 2011 doesn't have the drive extender function to make all the drives into one big storage pool. You'll either need to run them as separate volumes and juggle your stuff around to fit, or run windows software RAID (both bleh).

Schmack
Me Tarzan
Drives: Mazda 3 MPS

Post by Schmack » Fri 01 Jul, 2011 1:19 pm

So... after the posts above im going Linux. Does the box have an onboard video card ? is it sufficient for the most basic of tasks ?

Neither of my NAS will be connected to a TV or Monitor, apart from the installation of Linux.
Hmmm.... really ?

Jnr_Zilla
Power Suits are for Pussies

Post by Jnr_Zilla » Fri 01 Jul, 2011 1:27 pm

Yeah onboard (VGA blue plug,no DVI port) is fine for normal stuff. I'm using one box to totally replace an old tower I have running sab/sickbeard etc with monitor and keyboard/mouse plugged in 24/7. no HDMI so you need a vid card for anything else.
"Ling-Ling... you forgot your Bling-Bling"

spitex
GTiR wannabe

Post by spitex » Fri 01 Jul, 2011 1:27 pm

The video card in it can decode 1080p h264. It's only got a VGA output though. The only real reason people are putting GFX cards in them is to get the Audio out via HDMI.

I can help you with the Linux build if you like Andrew, I have done it a few times. We've used Ubuntu Server 11.04 each time but any will be fine.

Jonesy
1000RPM

Post by Jonesy » Fri 01 Jul, 2011 1:45 pm

Ok I got a copy of WHSv1 from Splash so was planning on running that.

I know I have to sort out the WD drives with a reflash, just bought them before Spite said anything about that. I’ll have to read up on that again and work out how to do this. Thing is also that umart is out of stock on these so getting another 3 of them at the moment is a bit hard. Have to have a hunt around I guess.
So running WHSv1 do I still need to get the same drives or are different brand/sizes ok?

So 4gig or stand high ram is the go and also no need for me to go a SSD drive for the O/S

Splash
pants

Post by Splash » Fri 01 Jul, 2011 1:47 pm

Jonesy wrote:Ok I got a copy of WHSv1 from Splash so was planning on running that.

I know I have to sort out the WD drives with a reflash, just bought them before Spite said anything about that. I’ll have to read up on that again and work out how to do this. Thing is also that umart is out of stock on these so getting another 3 of them at the moment is a bit hard. Have to have a hunt around I guess.
So running WHSv1 do I still need to get the same drives or are different brand/sizes ok?

So 4gig or stand high ram is the go and also no need for me to go a SSD drive for the O/S
That's the beauty of WHS v1, you can mix and match drives all different size/brand/interface.

Getting WHS v1 installed on a microserver can be a little fiddly too.. We really should do what others have suggested and have another geek day somewhere.

spitex
GTiR wannabe

Post by spitex » Fri 01 Jul, 2011 1:48 pm

The geek day might happen at a particular venue, I am just talking with them about it ;)

DreamensioN
4000RPM
Drives: Golf R

Post by DreamensioN » Fri 01 Jul, 2011 1:54 pm

Several years ago (they may still do it), we used to use the Indooropilly Library for our geek fests.

They supplied air conditioning, chairs, tables and power points - you just had to BYO PC, network cables and switches.

The Brisbane city council lets "clubs" or "community groups" use their public facilities (free of charge) for meetings etc. So we were a "community computer group".

Best thing about it was - get there early enough = heaps of parking. Food court just downstairs, and EB Games/Harvey Norman/Dick Smith etc were right there if you needed parts or sudden forced upgrades.

gazzam86
Started

Post by gazzam86 » Sun 03 Jul, 2011 9:54 pm

Is anyone using the stocko hp/amd/shit onboard raid? Have tried utilising the odd drive bay for the 250gb then running an array of 2x2tb hitachi's.

Ubuntu server does see the raid array but it didnt last long. Probably my own fault for not knowing linux.

What are you guys doing? Software, hardware or new raid card

spitex
GTiR wannabe

Post by spitex » Sun 03 Jul, 2011 10:00 pm

LOL Gary... you guys are noobs :P

I talked to troy and it seems you're doing it all wrong :P

Firstly, did you flash the BIOS so the internal sata port is actually in SATA mode and not IDE?

Secondly, 'onboard raid' is a joke, it has been ever since manufacturers started putting it on MB's. The raid you want to be using is linux software RAID.

Thirldy, are you using Advanced Format HDD's and if so are they aligned?

With a proper setup you can get 200-350mbyte/s write speed on a 4 disk RAID5 using Linux Raid.