[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4769: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4771: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
redlineAU.com • View topic - Cloud Storage
redlineAU.com Search Search - FAQ

Messages Login

It is currently Thu 17 Jan, 2019 9:34 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cloud Storage
PostPosted: Fri 20 Dec, 2013 12:26 pm 
I love lamp

Drives:
Ugh... Hate to whine but fuck, more cost I'll have to consider.
I do need to organise something with cloud storage.

98 200sx
04 Forester XT
99 Hilux ute (woohoo!)

PostPosted: Fri 20 Dec, 2013 12:40 pm 
glass always half empty

Drives:
I've got the same dilemma....

Up until now I've just been casting a bigger and bigger net - i.e more and more ext drives. My entire photo library (which is all the data I really care about) has 4x redundancy - it's on 4 separate drives (not all are external though). Everything else, music, docs etc fits on my free dropbox storage. Having read this thread I'm now going to scatter some drives between close relatives off site and ask them to hook it up once every few weeks. Although keeping them refreshed could be a pain :ohwell

Putting the entire library on a cloud would be inconvenient and expensive - it's 600gig and climbing.

PostPosted: Fri 20 Dec, 2013 1:02 pm 
Intuition

PostPosted: Fri 20 Dec, 2013 1:14 pm 
glass always half empty

Drives:
If they didn't allow enough time/bandwidth for customers to retrieve their data......prepare to get butt raped in subsequent litigation!

PostPosted: Fri 20 Dec, 2013 1:30 pm 
Intuition

$70m of funding down the tube, do you think the owners really care about their clients pursuing them for legal action?

It sucks, don't get me wrong, but this (legal issues) is just one of the problems with "the cloud". At this point in time at least. Kinda like buying Betamax and then getting 'butt raped' when VHS came out :P

PostPosted: Fri 20 Dec, 2013 1:37 pm 
Mr. Diplomacy

Drives:
Can't get blood out of a bankrupted stone.

You'd have your data duplicated on multiple cloud company's networks if you're super worried about this sort of thing, no?

"The argument doesn't work with me. Go back to your cracker jack lifestyle and I'll meet you at the evolutionary bell curve ... I'll be sitting there a while, it's kind of a tortoise and the hare story." - Bill Hicks

PostPosted: Fri 20 Dec, 2013 2:19 pm 
GTiR wannabe

Drives:

PostPosted: Fri 20 Dec, 2013 2:45 pm 
Mr. Diplomacy

Drives:
*companies'

"The argument doesn't work with me. Go back to your cracker jack lifestyle and I'll meet you at the evolutionary bell curve ... I'll be sitting there a while, it's kind of a tortoise and the hare story." - Bill Hicks

PostPosted: Fri 20 Dec, 2013 6:24 pm 
I love lamp

Drives:
*scowls*
Go get your rosary beads Eric!

98 200sx
04 Forester XT
99 Hilux ute (woohoo!)

PostPosted: Sat 21 Dec, 2013 12:16 am 
MILF Hunter!

Got 50gb free dropbox with my phone. Cheerin

PostPosted: Sat 21 Dec, 2013 6:19 am 
glass always half empty

Drives:
Is dropbox pay upfront for lyf? Mines crept up to about 10 or so gig from referrals and extra tidbits (1 gig here and there) they give away every now and then.

For uni, it's a godsend. Soooo handy having docs and study notes in the cloud compared to a USB.

PostPosted: Sat 21 Dec, 2013 7:24 am 
argument inc

Drives:

PostPosted: Sat 21 Dec, 2013 8:06 am 
Mr. Diplomacy

Drives:
Has anyone looked into transporter? You buy a transporter for each location (your house, your parents' house, your mate's house etc). Each transporter has a hard drive in it. The transporters will then sync between each other. There's no ongoing fees because it's your bandwidth. I'm pretty sure you start the hard drives off with data before you switch it all on so you don't have to do a big initial transfer.

PostPosted: Sat 21 Dec, 2013 8:34 am 
GTiR wannabe

Drives:
We could all just chip in and buy a 1RU QNAP NAS and put it in some of our APEXn racks? We have tonnes of space/capacity to do this.

If enough of you are keen it would be like ~$1000 once off.

If we wanted to get really serious I could then setup the QNAP to mirror to Amazon (using our private inter-connects).

Either way, food for thought.

PostPosted: Sat 21 Dec, 2013 9:01 am 
glass always half empty

Drives:
60/yr for crashplan sounds awesome....while it lasts?

PostPosted: Sat 21 Dec, 2013 10:44 am 
Intuition

PostPosted: Sat 21 Dec, 2013 10:59 am 
GTiR wannabe

Drives:
Cameron, we are testing 6x 100Mbit/s connections between our DC's (customer gear) and Amazon Direct Connect - they are a private layer2 link between our network and boxes at Amazon. It's pretty sexy stuff ;)

Our link to Amazon is capable of 10Gig.

But you are right, I do worry about security of people's files on the NAS. Like, I would hate to have Eugenixx's adult collection visible haha.

PostPosted: Sat 21 Dec, 2013 11:47 am 
glass always half empty

Drives:
$1k once off, does that include all necessary space? Wild stab in the dark here, I'm guessing if everyone picks this up we're going to need at least 10-15tb.

I'd be interested in this - and if any shit did go dodgy, I know where youse live ^^ moohar har :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat 21 Dec, 2013 11:58 am 
male housemaid

I would be keen on this also.

Be nice to have a shared section for Redline to share media also if possible.

PostPosted: Sat 21 Dec, 2013 2:49 pm 
GTiR wannabe

Drives:
iano, I would need to look at the price of the QNAP chassis + hard disks - I am a little too busy for this at the moment, so maybe Cameron/Noel can do some research for you.

Power/Rackspace/bandwidth - that's what I will hand out for free. 1 or 2 RU is fine.

My Guess is we would have to evaluate who wanted to be involved and then all decide how much to chip in.

It would run RAID5 (meaning 4x 3TB disk would roughly give 9TB of storage).

... and no, remote storage ... I HIGHLY doubt you would ever need 10-15TB.

If we needed more later, just add another box (and I can put this in a different location).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next