Thoughts???

For chat about everything, from the world of gadgets, to improving your home theatre setup.

Moderators: DreamensioN, Splash

wrx
Self appointed rAU God
Drives: the bus to hell

Thoughts???

Post by wrx » Fri 20 Jun, 2014 12:44 pm

ImageImageImageImage

Circuit PB's: | Sprint = 52.9 | Clubman = 56.0 | National = 1:15.3| Sportsman = 53.7| Lakeside = 54.8

DreamensioN
4000RPM
Drives: Golf R

Re: Thoughts???

Post by DreamensioN » Fri 20 Jun, 2014 1:57 pm

Foxtel contributed to this when they made it an exclusive. I'm not getting Foxtel just to watch one or two shows I care about.

This will only scare away the non-savvy, mum & dad downloaders. Everyone else will rock on like the party was never interrupted.

daBOODA
Mr. Diplomacy
Drives: sda0

Post by daBOODA » Fri 20 Jun, 2014 2:03 pm

Has it ever been on iTunes?

EDIT:
http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/comp ... zsd96.html

Yer, it's all too hard when torrenting is all too easy for people with a sliver of tech savvyness
"The argument doesn't work with me. Go back to your cracker jack lifestyle and I'll meet you at the evolutionary bell curve ... I'll be sitting there a while, it's kind of a tortoise and the hare story." - Bill Hicks

dan
argument inc
Drives: German's mum........

Post by dan » Fri 20 Jun, 2014 2:54 pm

australia is the biggest offender in the developed world when it comes to piracy, so i think it is inevitable that something has to happen.

however, we are pirates because of market failure. if there was genuine competition between service providers (i.e. we had a viable netflix-like service) then piracy would be a lot lower, but it would probably still exist at unacceptable levels. at the moment it is so high because there is no alternative.

so, i can understand why the crackdown is needed. but the govt be saying to industry "we will crack down on piracy if you offer consumers a realistic alternative"
camo means mogg, and mogg means business

SecaBoy
Mr Indecisive

Post by SecaBoy » Fri 20 Jun, 2014 4:11 pm

wouldn't all this be useless if people ran VPN's?
1991 Toyota Corolla Seca ==> SOLD
2001 Subaru Impreza WRX ==> SOLD
2006 Honda Accord Euro Luxury ==> SOLD
1990 Nissan Silvia RB20DET ==> SOLD
2008 Toyota TRD Aurion 3500SL ==> SOLD
2010 Ford Falcon XR6T ==> SOLD
:cry
2016 VW Polo 81TSI DSG

cGr
Intuition

Post by cGr » Fri 20 Jun, 2014 7:19 pm

There has been talk of certain US based VPN providers being cracked down on as well.

I know of a lot of people going down the Netflix path because A) It's cheap, B) It's getting easier, C) The range V cost thing is nuts.

I think the falldown is reasonable cost VS accessibility. My family uses iTunes because its convenient for them to access content. The downside is availability, because GoT is only up to season 3 on there, so watching the latest and greatest is impossible. Foxtel cost is stupid - we will pay $270 (ironically for the wife's netball) for 6 months access (base + sports) which was a special deal going with free install and the first 3 months free. $50/mth with a discount is stupid money for tv if you ask me. Especially when I can torrent it for free, there are no ads, and the quality is better (hello free to air, HD tv is real).

I doubt that the government is going to garner much response from ISP's to stop people downloading for a poxy amount per month. IINET has made its name out of standing up for the rights of its users, not by handing out notices (though TPG does hand them out and they still do ok).

And at the end of the day, I dare the government to challenge the smarty-pants IT people to develop something better than bittorrent. They can if they want to, they just need the motivation. As it stands at the moment bittorrent is already winning (how many of those people who downloaded GoT will get a notice?), and Netflix is on the rise.

wrx
Self appointed rAU God
Drives: the bus to hell

Post by wrx » Fri 20 Jun, 2014 7:36 pm

I think i agree with everyone, at the end of the day we (Australia) dont have viable cost effective options to get the content legally.

I have just set up netflix for a mate and it is a good option, but again, technically it is still a breach in copy right
ImageImageImageImage

Circuit PB's: | Sprint = 52.9 | Clubman = 56.0 | National = 1:15.3| Sportsman = 53.7| Lakeside = 54.8

daBOODA
Mr. Diplomacy

Post by daBOODA » Fri 20 Jun, 2014 8:37 pm

I wonder if they'll hammer people that pay for Foxtel but still torrent it because they get it sooner (is Foxtel's GoT HD?)
"The argument doesn't work with me. Go back to your cracker jack lifestyle and I'll meet you at the evolutionary bell curve ... I'll be sitting there a while, it's kind of a tortoise and the hare story." - Bill Hicks

daBOODA
Mr. Diplomacy

Post by daBOODA » Fri 20 Jun, 2014 8:38 pm

cGr
Intuition

Post by cGr » Fri 20 Jun, 2014 8:51 pm

daBOODA wrote:I wonder if they'll hammer people that pay for Foxtel but still torrent it because they get it sooner (is Foxtel's GoT HD?)
Does that make it ok for me to torrent anything that is broadcasted on Foxtel, just because I have Foxtel?

Personally, I think they'd still hammer you.

As a separate thought idea, I think that tv should develop their advertising away from 3min blocks of ads, to either product placement in a show (not sure what you can advertise in GoT) or banners which show up at the bottom of the page like they do on youtube. Actually, I think youtube's setup is good - full ad every few videos, with the ability to skip an ad after 5 seconds for the other videos. End result is that any tv studio could stream all their tv openly to people on the Internet, then profit from the advertising.

dan
argument inc

Post by dan » Fri 20 Jun, 2014 9:15 pm

netflix is where it's at man.

spitex
GTiR wannabe
Drives: FPV F6

Post by spitex » Sun 22 Jun, 2014 7:45 pm

Torrenting is actually ridiculously complex.

The fact so many people can do this, without any technical knowledge is testament to the fact that no matter what the government implements - piracy will continue.

The only way to fix it is competing content providers where the cost vs risk/reward is evened out.

Foxtel at $125 a month is a joke.

daBOODA
Mr. Diplomacy

Post by daBOODA » Sun 22 Jun, 2014 8:58 pm

spitex wrote:Foxtel at $125 a month is a joke.
And they do ads too, right? That's insulting!

SecaBoy
Mr Indecisive

Post by SecaBoy » Mon 23 Jun, 2014 7:36 am

they do ads. almost as many as normal tv!
2016 VW Polo 81TSI DSG

daBOODA
Mr. Diplomacy

Post by daBOODA » Mon 23 Jun, 2014 8:26 am

Then why fucking pay!? Is it just a case of "We have the shit you want to see so shut up and pay us"?

SecaBoy
Mr Indecisive

Post by SecaBoy » Mon 23 Jun, 2014 9:55 am

pretty much.
mum watches a lot of scifi and uk shows which arent shown on normal tv.
plus, the nephews love all the kids channels.
i used to watch it to watch the EPL, but dont even have the time to do that anymore.
2016 VW Polo 81TSI DSG

dorift
I love lamp
Drives: Toyota Hilux Diablo

Post by dorift » Mon 23 Jun, 2014 11:45 am

We had foxtel disconnected in 2012 after having had it since 1995. It's overpriced to the shithouse. But unfortunately I had to get it again this year just for NRL, because they're getting too tricky with blocking jail broken iPads.
I'd pay for a good service where you pay for what you want, not a bundled overpriced service. For a more reasonable cost I'd be prepared to pay, simply because it's simpler than fucking around doing illegal shit.
But in the meantime I'll keep being a criminal I guess.
89 Corolla SX
90 Pulsar GTiR
95 Barina GSi
98 200sx
04 Forester XT
99 Hilux ute (woohoo!)

dan
argument inc

Post by dan » Mon 23 Jun, 2014 12:28 pm

dorift wrote:We had foxtel disconnected in 2012 after having had it since 1995. It's overpriced to the shithouse. But unfortunately I had to get it again this year just for NRL, because they're getting too tricky with blocking jail broken iPads.
I'd pay for a good service where you pay for what you want, not a bundled overpriced service. For a more reasonable cost I'd be prepared to pay, simply because it's simpler than fucking around doing illegal shit.
But in the meantime I'll keep being a criminal I guess.
find a mate with foxtel. give him beer/blowjobs/whatever you both deem acceptable/etc. get his foxtel go password.

install foxtel go app on your HTPC connected to your tv. watch nrl for cheap.

if you blow him twice he might let you use two logins. then you can watch it on your iphone/ipad as well as the tv. i went to the brisbane lions game last week and spent most the AFL game watching the wallabies on my iphone.... it's a good service. not as great as foxtel normally, but if you are paying very little for it then it's great.

if you want to record games this won't work. but you can download torrents of recorded games very easily.

dorift
I love lamp

Post by dorift » Tue 24 Jun, 2014 10:26 am

GO on my TV through PC was not good enough for my liking.
And this...

ImageImage

lol
89 Corolla SX
90 Pulsar GTiR
95 Barina GSi
98 200sx
04 Forester XT
99 Hilux ute (woohoo!)

dorift
I love lamp

Thoughts???

Post by dorift » Tue 24 Jun, 2014 10:51 am

And thisImage

Yeah I can watch it on my iPad if I un-jailbreak it, but I don't want to sit around with an iPad watching sport, I want it connected to my tv. I did this all last year, but this year they (foxtel) got really really good at preventing it. It was a weekly fuck around to get it going, so I just bit the bullet and got foxtel connected again.
89 Corolla SX
90 Pulsar GTiR
95 Barina GSi
98 200sx
04 Forester XT
99 Hilux ute (woohoo!)