Apple TV

For chat about everything, from the world of gadgets, to improving your home theatre setup.

Moderators: DreamensioN, Splash

blv
Permantly Unavailable
Drives: MTB
Location: deep in the mists of boost, far beyond the thick cloud of tyre smoke

Re: Apple TV

Post by blv » Thu 13 Aug, 2015 9:46 pm

After a little research, it seems you run the ATV's DNS server settings to the machine running plex. Seeing as though I am running US DNS servers for US Netflix, won't this effect my US Netflix, or will the ATV still access the Internet through my PC, which uses the routers already modified DNS settings?
I just don't know if people like me. I know when they don't like me 'cause they'll say things like, 'Yeah, that's him, officer.'

cGr
Intuition

Post by cGr » Thu 13 Aug, 2015 9:57 pm

cGr wrote:Pretty sure you can stream from plex app to a standard AppleTV anyway, will check tonight.
Yep, just pull up airplay and it works fine. The plex app then becomes the remote whilst the video goes to the appletv.

cGr
Intuition

Post by cGr » Thu 13 Aug, 2015 10:06 pm

blv wrote:After a little research, it seems you run the ATV's DNS server settings to the machine running plex. Seeing as though I am running US DNS servers for US Netflix, won't this effect my US Netflix, or will the ATV still access the Internet through my PC, which uses the routers already modified DNS settings?
It will work, the ATV essentially uses the plex server as a DNS server.

https://github.com/iBaa/PlexConnect/wik ... own-issues
I use services such as Unblock-US to access regionally restricted content, will PlexConnect still work?: Yes, just set the "ip_dnsmaster" IP in the "Settings.cfg" file (generated on first clean shutdown of PlexConnect) to your unblock service's IP.
edit: Post 9999. What should I do with #10,000?

iano
glass always half empty
Drives: by my own accord

Post by iano » Fri 14 Aug, 2015 6:32 am

blv wrote:Well that's handy, having to search with the remote sucks!! I'll pair my Logitech tomorrow. I'll have a hunt around about plex too!!
I'm so going to do this. Even have a spare genuine Apple keyboard doing nothing! Bought it when I attempted uni.
This isn't life, it's just stuff. And it's become more important to you than living. Well, honey, that's just nuts

tipper
male housemaid

Post by tipper » Fri 14 Aug, 2015 8:47 am

My ATV2 was already jailbroken to run XBMC. Save the remote and just steam from a iphone / ipad and it acts as the remote like Cam said.

blv
Permantly Unavailable

Post by blv » Fri 14 Aug, 2015 10:29 am

Yeah I'll just use Airplay because Im over fucking around with background shit to get stuff working. It often fucks up when I'm at work and my wife wants to watch it..
I just don't know if people like me. I know when they don't like me 'cause they'll say things like, 'Yeah, that's him, officer.'

SecaBoy
Mr Indecisive

Post by SecaBoy » Fri 14 Aug, 2015 12:29 pm

^^^ THIS!!! why is it that everything is fine when we set it up and use it and then the wife attempts to use something and everything goes into meltdown mode!??!?! :lol:
1991 Toyota Corolla Seca ==> SOLD
2001 Subaru Impreza WRX ==> SOLD
2006 Honda Accord Euro Luxury ==> SOLD
1990 Nissan Silvia RB20DET ==> SOLD
2008 Toyota TRD Aurion 3500SL ==> SOLD
2010 Ford Falcon XR6T ==> SOLD
:cry
2016 VW Polo 81TSI DSG

spitex
GTiR wannabe
Drives: FPV F6

Post by spitex » Fri 14 Aug, 2015 2:25 pm

transcoding scum! :D

iano
glass always half empty
Drives: by my own accord

Post by iano » Fri 14 Aug, 2015 9:28 pm

I just scrapped my au netflix. Our pickings are complete and utter shit compared to the US and because I'm only really a casual user I cbf with VPNs or whatever current mechanism people use to get an offshore subscription.

Apple music can have that cash instead.
This isn't life, it's just stuff. And it's become more important to you than living. Well, honey, that's just nuts

blv
Permantly Unavailable

Post by blv » Fri 14 Aug, 2015 9:59 pm

It's a $3.50/month subscription to a DNS service. Enter DNS address into your ATV, done