Welcome to Windows 10

For chat about everything, from the world of gadgets, to improving your home theatre setup.

Moderators: DreamensioN, Splash

spitex
GTiR wannabe
Drives: FPV F6

Re: Welcome to Windows 10

Post by spitex » Thu 30 Jul, 2015 11:59 am

SecaBoy
Mr Indecisive

Post by SecaBoy » Thu 30 Jul, 2015 12:43 pm

1991 Toyota Corolla Seca ==> SOLD
2001 Subaru Impreza WRX ==> SOLD
2006 Honda Accord Euro Luxury ==> SOLD
1990 Nissan Silvia RB20DET ==> SOLD
2008 Toyota TRD Aurion 3500SL ==> SOLD
2010 Ford Falcon XR6T ==> SOLD
:cry
2016 VW Polo 81TSI DSG

DreamensioN
4000RPM
Drives: Golf R

Post by DreamensioN » Sun 02 Aug, 2015 12:19 am

What Ryan posted works 100%. The day it came out I tried to do the method mentioned in the link that Ash posted, and it started the download but then failed the install.

I then used the media creation tool and it worked.

I've upgraded all my systems to it now (except my desktop PC). But both my personal and work Surfaces are running it. I've also done both the inplace upgrade and the "blow it all away" method, and am very happy with both. The inplace upgrade is just that... a true inplace upgrade - you lose nothing and all your apps still work 100%.

AAA+++ would recommend. Cortana doesn't work unless you set your region to US. And the "Hello Windows" thing that they were showing off doesn't work unless you got some special Intel camera that does the face recognition/retina scan thing.

cGr
Intuition

Post by cGr » Sun 02 Aug, 2015 1:24 pm

I used the media creation tool too, and after a big of frigging around (resizing recovery partition eventually did it) everything worked. Same deal for ash's link, failed install. Had to tune a few things after installing, most notably the correct language so that shift '2' gave me an @ symbol and not ".

I like it, but a few things are still buggy (edge wouldn't let me ctrl-tab between tabs, crashes on shutdown with an applecharger BSOD, new tab in edge wont let me start typing straight away). It will be easier once everything supports windows 10.

cGr
Intuition

Post by cGr » Sun 02 Aug, 2015 7:25 pm

Add to the list - CF card not recognised.

TBH - It still feels like a pre-release version.

cGr
Intuition

Post by cGr » Sun 02 Aug, 2015 8:09 pm

And the clincher. Editing photos, when I scroll/zoom on the photo, the colours of the image changes which is really freaking annoying.

Ready to flip a coin on whether to persist or roll back.

SecaBoy
Mr Indecisive

Post by SecaBoy » Mon 03 Aug, 2015 11:55 am

"just get a mac"
:P sorry, couldnt help it.

havent tried updating yet. havent used my surface pro in ages so dont really see the point in upgrading until i wanna use it. wait for all the hordes to finish raping the microsoft servers and then i'll upgrade. :)
2016 VW Polo 81TSI DSG

iano
glass always half empty
Drives: by my own accord

Post by iano » Mon 03 Aug, 2015 12:16 pm

This threads been an excellent...yawn....sales pitch I have to admit

#sentfrommyiphone
This isn't life, it's just stuff. And it's become more important to you than living. Well, honey, that's just nuts

Eu-GenixX
5000RPM
Drives: CJ Lancer VR

Post by Eu-GenixX » Mon 03 Aug, 2015 5:41 pm

Did what Ryan said and upgraded my new PC first. Basically a clean install so easiest to do and less issues if I ran into problems. Will have a play on that PC before I upgrade my iRacing PC.

cGr
Intuition

Post by cGr » Mon 03 Aug, 2015 7:08 pm

SecaBoy wrote:"just get a mac"

havent tried updating yet. havent used my surface pro in ages so dont really see the point in upgrading until i wanna use it. wait for all the hordes to finish raping the microsoft servers and then i'll upgrade. :)
I love the 'get a mac' comments just about as much as the android lovers who's defence is they hate hooking up to iTunes to download mucis. If you're stuck that much in the past (who downloads music from iTunes anymore), then you can keep your cake. They both serve a purpose, even if it is just to stoke the fires Ash :P

I will probably wear the issues with Windows 10 because its part and parcel of my job. The server load for downloading is fine, and you will stand to gain a lot on your surface ash. That said, if you're happy with what you have then just stay put for a month or so until the bugs are ironed out.

cGr
Intuition

Post by cGr » Mon 03 Aug, 2015 7:39 pm

cGr wrote:And the clincher. Editing photos, when I scroll/zoom on the photo, the colours of the image changes which is really freaking annoying.

Ready to flip a coin on whether to persist or roll back.
Official call from Intel - Intel HD 2000 graphics are not supported in Windows 10. Time to upgrade!

iano
glass always half empty

Post by iano » Mon 03 Aug, 2015 8:44 pm

Haha Microsoft. Proudly causing hardware compatibility headaches for the best part of 30 years.

Call me lazy but this is probably the biggest reason alone I switched to a mac and will not budge from it any time soon.

The bastard just works. And before anyone retorts my argument, bear in mind I obviously don't care for all out grunt/gfx/hardware tweaking/hardcore gaming or whatever people need a customisable PC for nowadays.
This isn't life, it's just stuff. And it's become more important to you than living. Well, honey, that's just nuts

cGr
Intuition

Post by cGr » Mon 03 Aug, 2015 9:11 pm

The graphics issue is an interesting one in that my computer has been running flawlessly since it was built in 2011. Then I realise it was built in 2011 - the same year I had an iPhone 4.

Hardware moves on.

unwritten law
MILF Hunter!

Post by unwritten law » Mon 03 Aug, 2015 9:45 pm

Windows 7 keeps me happy
GRY32
GRYXXXII

blv
Permantly Unavailable
Drives: MTB
Location: deep in the mists of boost, far beyond the thick cloud of tyre smoke

Post by blv » Mon 03 Aug, 2015 10:19 pm

^^ like
I just don't know if people like me. I know when they don't like me 'cause they'll say things like, 'Yeah, that's him, officer.'

Eu-GenixX
5000RPM

Post by Eu-GenixX » Mon 03 Aug, 2015 11:25 pm

cGr wrote:The graphics issue is an interesting one in that my computer has been running flawlessly since it was built in 2011. Then I realise it was built in 2011 - the same year I had an iPhone 4.

Hardware moves on.
This.

DreamensioN
4000RPM
Drives: Golf R

Post by DreamensioN » Mon 03 Aug, 2015 11:42 pm

One reason "Mac's just work" is because Apple only has to support a limited amount of hardware. When Microsoft bundles drivers into their operating system for the "out of the box experience" - they have to take into account every yum-cha variant of hardware and chipset there is out there. Not only from Intel, but from Asus, HP, Dell, IBM, Gigabyte, ASRock, Realtek, MSI, NVidia, etc etc etc etc...and not only different manufacturers, but also hardware that was made up to 10yrs ago.

The very fact that most of the hardware works when you install "Windows" is a small miracle in itself. And if it doesn't have a 100% compatible driver, you'll get something that can at least sort of get you going until you can find the right driver.

iano
glass always half empty

Post by iano » Tue 04 Aug, 2015 7:58 am

That's all well and good but give me a simple approach every time.

agree with everyone who rated Win7 as well.

Eu-GenixX
5000RPM

Post by Eu-GenixX » Tue 04 Aug, 2015 9:31 am

As has been mentioned, there is probably literally millions of hardware combinations out there in PC world. After installing windows 10, the only issue I had so far was having reinstall one driver for a motherboard specific function. Only 1 out of the several installed for the motherboard. Oh and to download Windows 10 specific graphics driver for my nVidia GPU.

Isn't all Apple hardware more or less the same? (for each "model") So shit should "just work". That is the premium you are paying for.

SecaBoy
Mr Indecisive

Post by SecaBoy » Tue 04 Aug, 2015 12:20 pm

cGr wrote:
SecaBoy wrote:"just get a mac"

I love the 'get a mac' comments just about as much as the android lovers who's defence is they hate hooking up to iTunes to download mucis. If you're stuck that much in the past (who downloads music from iTunes anymore), then you can keep your cake. They both serve a purpose, even if it is just to stoke the fires Ash :P

I will probably wear the issues with Windows 10 because its part and parcel of my job. The server load for downloading is fine, and you will stand to gain a lot on your surface ash. That said, if you're happy with what you have then just stay put for a month or so until the bugs are ironed out.

:lol: i'll get back in my beautifully designed apple box. :P

so i thought last night, what the hell, i'll update to 10.
didnt get to play with it much, but just straight off the bat, it seems a lot nicer to use (very surface (:P get it?) level though).
the notification thingy with the settings tiles is very winmo though!
2016 VW Polo 81TSI DSG