Vinyl, analog, what's all the fuss about?

For chat about everything, from the world of gadgets, to improving your home theatre setup.

Moderators: DreamensioN, Splash

iano
glass always half empty
Drives: by my own accord

Post by iano » Mon 06 Apr, 2015 9:54 pm

Rightio Ted, I just birthed this one for yah :popcorn

We'll keep the conversation civil. Sanitary napkins available upon request.

To be honest Cameron, I did have a bit of a laugh at your jab back in B&L. Because I agree with it. Vinyl is making a resurgence sure but for fairly lame reasons unfortunately :(

Paying $35+ for a reissued pressing of a classic album is a bit insulting to people that actually care about hifi. Not for hipsters - they just think it's cool. They buy them to stick on their bedroom walls ffs and don't even OWN a turntable, let alone want to buy one. Yes people actually do this. Lots. The record co.s have cottoned onto the trend and wow, all of a sudden vinyl is cool again. JB Hifi started with a couple of crates, now most stores have full blown racks of the stuff. And cheap budget turntables are back in vogue.

Make no mistake about it. Vinyl played through cheap gear WILL sound shit. Scratchy. Very loud, very bright, very dirty.

But that's what these cool kids want. They're sick of the mass produced greasy haired mastered for iTunes, pre-fab pop. All it took to make was an afternoon in front of an Apple Mac, a bit of fiddling around in Pro Tools, fuck...even Garage band could do it - find a marketing genius and you'll have someone worth $150 million within 3 years. This concludes the unauthorised biography of Justin Bieber by Iano.

But there's something very very special about well recorded vinyl, played through appropriate equipment. It can't be accurately measured or quantified. Indeed anyone who tries to do this comes back with a fairly convincing scientific and mathematical argument that modern digital formats beat vinyl hands down.

In that respect, they do. Easily. There's more dynamic range on offer, and you don't get the pops and crackles. The stylus guiding through each of those grooves is made from a synthetic diamond which blind Freddy will tell you is a hard object. Each time you play a record, you're wearing it out.

But the one thing audio snobs fire back at time and time again with a vengeance is the "warmth" factor of vinyl compared to digital formats. Uncompressed digital nowadays is so accurate, the music can become clinical, stale, cold sounding. One of the most effective ways I can describe it is this:

Why does a photograph taken on film appear far more pleasing to the eye than a digital snapshot?

It's because film is naturally textured, and offers a softer more rounded presentation than a digital sensor can achieve. Well it's exactly the same with music. Vinyl captures more "emotion". Yes it's a rough diamond and the edges are nowhere near as polished as a well mastered CD. But the stuff in the middle is thick and sweet, and sounds so damn good you just want more of it.

The higher one invests on vinyl playback equipment, those rough edges become more and more refined which effectively makes the sweet spot bigger and bigger. It comes at an enormous price - some turntables can cost 6 figures plus, but hopefully I've sort of explained it here.
This isn't life, it's just stuff. And it's become more important to you than living. Well, honey, that's just nuts

unwritten law
MILF Hunter!

Re: Vinyl, analog, what's all the fuss about?

Post by unwritten law » Mon 06 Apr, 2015 10:13 pm

Here's a fkn cool piece of vinyl.

Watch "The Lazaretto ULTRA LP" on YouTube
The Lazaretto ULTRA LP: https://youtu.be/i-8B-_Jq2ro

I miss my 1210s.
GRY32
GRYXXXII

iano
glass always half empty

Post by iano » Mon 06 Apr, 2015 11:03 pm

Ahh, Jack White.

Yep, that's amazing. Bit over the top, but amazing none the less.
This isn't life, it's just stuff. And it's become more important to you than living. Well, honey, that's just nuts

Ted
1000RPM

Post by Ted » Tue 07 Apr, 2015 8:07 am

So, as a closet hipster wannabe failure, which turntable should I get? At this stage, I am looking for something relatively inexpensive and happy to go second hand. I was thinking something from one of the mainstream mob from the era (like a Technics, Sony, Marantz, Kenwood etc) but I do want something that looks OK as it will be on display. It is getting hooked up to a 25yo Sony receiver and a pair of small Infinity bookshelf monitors.

Down the track, I expect that it will be connected to some funky looking little valve amp. So I am not against spending more money on a turntable now if its a good buy.
Motorsport is a disease, where the only cure is poverty.

iano
glass always half empty

Post by iano » Tue 07 Apr, 2015 9:18 am

If it's a display piece - Project Debut. Yes that's the brand. They come in a range of loud funky colours and performance wise they blow everything away for the money.

About $600 but shop around, could see one lower. Rega is also an excellent brand but you'll pay a bit more - $800+

The debut includes all the essential bits like a tonearm and decent ortofon cartridge for the outlay. I think a cartridge is extra for a Rega but build quality is also superior.

Living Sound - Fortitude Valley would be my first choice for a retailer.

iano
glass always half empty

Post by iano » Thu 07 May, 2015 10:57 am

Still keen on getting one Ted?

It can be painfully audio-nerdish, yes even for me, but Stereonet is an awesome reference site. I'm on it most days.

If you've got a lazy 2 and a half thou that's weighing you down, this piece would make a statement and a half.

http://www.stereo.net.au/news/avid-hifi ... turntable/

Ted
1000RPM

Post by Ted » Thu 07 May, 2015 4:31 pm

Yes, still plan on getting one. Have a fair bit of vinyl collecting dust so it would be nice to put them to use.
Thanks for the site, will have a look at some point.

tipper
male housemaid

Post by tipper » Wed 20 May, 2015 6:00 pm

iano
glass always half empty

Post by iano » Wed 20 May, 2015 6:41 pm

hahahahha

Splash
pants
Drives: with eyes closed

Post by Splash » Tue 29 Dec, 2015 11:31 pm

It's a shame that iano e-left. He'd be excited to hear that I bought a turntable today

Latest survey shows that 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the world's population

Ted
1000RPM

Post by Ted » Wed 30 Dec, 2015 5:53 am

That is cool to hear. I bought one too, but still waiting for it to arrive.

Evan
Nice WRX Fuckhead
Drives: audi. what a c##t!

Post by Evan » Wed 30 Dec, 2015 3:34 pm

i too got one over christmas!
aka gti-R

dorift
I love lamp
Drives: Toyota Hilux Diablo

Post by dorift » Wed 30 Dec, 2015 3:39 pm

Why? Serious question
89 Corolla SX
90 Pulsar GTiR
95 Barina GSi
98 200sx
04 Forester XT
99 Hilux ute (woohoo!)

Ted
1000RPM

Post by Ted » Wed 30 Dec, 2015 9:46 pm

Because while I can't grow a beard, I can at least try to live the hipster lifestyle.

Seriously though, for me it was because I wanted to have something to play these records we have on, and give JC a bit of an analog education to supplement the digital age. What sealed the deal is the design of the one I ordered, which I will show here once I get it.

dorift
I love lamp
Drives: Toyota Hilux Diablo

Post by dorift » Thu 31 Dec, 2015 7:50 am

Already having vinyl makes sense. I just don't know of a lot of people who have a collection that don't already have a turntable
89 Corolla SX
90 Pulsar GTiR
95 Barina GSi
98 200sx
04 Forester XT
99 Hilux ute (woohoo!)

Evan
Nice WRX Fuckhead
Drives: audi. what a c##t!

Post by Evan » Thu 31 Dec, 2015 7:58 am

for me, i started buying and collecting vinyl a few years ago. short run stuff (< 1k pressings), things i liked the cover art on, favourite bands/acts/LPs.. i've got enough now that i want to start listening to them. some friday nights, i enjoy just sitting down with a set of headphones, a glass (or bottle) of whisky and just listening. its bloody therapeutic.

also, its a cool piece of 'furniture' for our house, and it compliments my beard.
aka gti-R

Eu-GenixX
5000RPM
Drives: CJ Lancer VR

Post by Eu-GenixX » Wed 09 Mar, 2016 11:51 am

I get a similar feeling listening to AM radio.

spitex
GTiR wannabe
Drives: FPV F6

Post by spitex » Wed 09 Mar, 2016 11:59 pm

I have a USB made from Vinyl.

Sounds better than tunes from a normal USB.