[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4769: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4771: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
redlineAU.com • View topic - Vinyl, analog, what's all the fuss about?
redlineAU.com Search Search - FAQ

Messages Login

It is currently Thu 17 Jan, 2019 8:33 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Vinyl, analog, what's all the fuss about?
PostPosted: Mon 06 Apr, 2015 9:54 pm 
glass always half empty

Drives:
Rightio Ted, I just birthed this one for yah :popcorn

We'll keep the conversation civil. Sanitary napkins available upon request.

To be honest Cameron, I did have a bit of a laugh at your jab back in B&L. Because I agree with it. Vinyl is making a resurgence sure but for fairly lame reasons unfortunately :(

Paying $35+ for a reissued pressing of a classic album is a bit insulting to people that actually care about hifi. Not for hipsters - they just think it's cool. They buy them to stick on their bedroom walls ffs and don't even OWN a turntable, let alone want to buy one. Yes people actually do this. Lots. The record co.s have cottoned onto the trend and wow, all of a sudden vinyl is cool again. JB Hifi started with a couple of crates, now most stores have full blown racks of the stuff. And cheap budget turntables are back in vogue.

Make no mistake about it. Vinyl played through cheap gear WILL sound shit. Scratchy. Very loud, very bright, very dirty.

But that's what these cool kids want. They're sick of the mass produced greasy haired mastered for iTunes, pre-fab pop. All it took to make was an afternoon in front of an Apple Mac, a bit of fiddling around in Pro Tools, fuck...even Garage band could do it - find a marketing genius and you'll have someone worth $150 million within 3 years. This concludes the unauthorised biography of Justin Bieber by Iano.

But there's something very very special about well recorded vinyl, played through appropriate equipment. It can't be accurately measured or quantified. Indeed anyone who tries to do this comes back with a fairly convincing scientific and mathematical argument that modern digital formats beat vinyl hands down.

In that respect, they do. Easily. There's more dynamic range on offer, and you don't get the pops and crackles. The stylus guiding through each of those grooves is made from a synthetic diamond which blind Freddy will tell you is a hard object. Each time you play a record, you're wearing it out.

But the one thing audio snobs fire back at time and time again with a vengeance is the "warmth" factor of vinyl compared to digital formats. Uncompressed digital nowadays is so accurate, the music can become clinical, stale, cold sounding. One of the most effective ways I can describe it is this:

Why does a photograph taken on film appear far more pleasing to the eye than a digital snapshot?

It's because film is naturally textured, and offers a softer more rounded presentation than a digital sensor can achieve. Well it's exactly the same with music. Vinyl captures more "emotion". Yes it's a rough diamond and the edges are nowhere near as polished as a well mastered CD. But the stuff in the middle is thick and sweet, and sounds so damn good you just want more of it.

The higher one invests on vinyl playback equipment, those rough edges become more and more refined which effectively makes the sweet spot bigger and bigger. It comes at an enormous price - some turntables can cost 6 figures plus, but hopefully I've sort of explained it here.

Post subject: Re: Vinyl, analog, what's all the fuss about?
PostPosted: Mon 06 Apr, 2015 10:13 pm 
MILF Hunter!

Here's a fkn cool piece of vinyl.

Watch "The Lazaretto ULTRA LP" on YouTube
The Lazaretto ULTRA LP: https://youtu.be/i-8B-_Jq2ro

I miss my 1210s.

PostPosted: Mon 06 Apr, 2015 11:03 pm 
glass always half empty

Drives:
Ahh, Jack White.

Yep, that's amazing. Bit over the top, but amazing none the less.

PostPosted: Tue 07 Apr, 2015 8:07 am 
1000RPM

So, as a closet hipster wannabe failure, which turntable should I get? At this stage, I am looking for something relatively inexpensive and happy to go second hand. I was thinking something from one of the mainstream mob from the era (like a Technics, Sony, Marantz, Kenwood etc) but I do want something that looks OK as it will be on display. It is getting hooked up to a 25yo Sony receiver and a pair of small Infinity bookshelf monitors.

Down the track, I expect that it will be connected to some funky looking little valve amp. So I am not against spending more money on a turntable now if its a good buy.

Post subject: Vinyl, analog, what's all the fuss about?
PostPosted: Tue 07 Apr, 2015 9:18 am 
glass always half empty

Drives:
If it's a display piece - Project Debut. Yes that's the brand. They come in a range of loud funky colours and performance wise they blow everything away for the money.

About $600 but shop around, could see one lower. Rega is also an excellent brand but you'll pay a bit more - $800+

The debut includes all the essential bits like a tonearm and decent ortofon cartridge for the outlay. I think a cartridge is extra for a Rega but build quality is also superior.

Living Sound - Fortitude Valley would be my first choice for a retailer.

PostPosted: Thu 07 May, 2015 10:57 am 
glass always half empty

Drives:
Still keen on getting one Ted?

It can be painfully audio-nerdish, yes even for me, but Stereonet is an awesome reference site. I'm on it most days.

If you've got a lazy 2 and a half thou that's weighing you down, this piece would make a statement and a half.

http://www.stereo.net.au/news/avid-hifi ... turntable/

PostPosted: Thu 07 May, 2015 4:31 pm 
1000RPM

Yes, still plan on getting one. Have a fair bit of vinyl collecting dust so it would be nice to put them to use.
Thanks for the site, will have a look at some point.

PostPosted: Wed 20 May, 2015 6:00 pm 
male housemaid

PostPosted: Wed 20 May, 2015 6:41 pm 
glass always half empty

Drives:
hahahahha

PostPosted: Tue 29 Dec, 2015 11:31 pm 
pants

Drives:
It's a shame that iano e-left. He'd be excited to hear that I bought a turntable today

Latest survey shows that 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the world's population

PostPosted: Wed 30 Dec, 2015 5:53 am 
1000RPM

That is cool to hear. I bought one too, but still waiting for it to arrive.

PostPosted: Wed 30 Dec, 2015 3:34 pm 
Nice WRX Fuckhead

Drives:
i too got one over christmas!

PostPosted: Wed 30 Dec, 2015 3:39 pm 
I love lamp

Drives:
Why? Serious question

98 200sx
04 Forester XT
99 Hilux ute (woohoo!)

PostPosted: Wed 30 Dec, 2015 9:46 pm 
1000RPM

Because while I can't grow a beard, I can at least try to live the hipster lifestyle.

Seriously though, for me it was because I wanted to have something to play these records we have on, and give JC a bit of an analog education to supplement the digital age. What sealed the deal is the design of the one I ordered, which I will show here once I get it.

PostPosted: Thu 31 Dec, 2015 7:50 am 
I love lamp

Drives:
Already having vinyl makes sense. I just don't know of a lot of people who have a collection that don't already have a turntable

98 200sx
04 Forester XT
99 Hilux ute (woohoo!)

PostPosted: Thu 31 Dec, 2015 7:58 am 
Nice WRX Fuckhead

Drives:
for me, i started buying and collecting vinyl a few years ago. short run stuff (< 1k pressings), things i liked the cover art on, favourite bands/acts/LPs.. i've got enough now that i want to start listening to them. some friday nights, i enjoy just sitting down with a set of headphones, a glass (or bottle) of whisky and just listening. its bloody therapeutic.

also, its a cool piece of 'furniture' for our house, and it compliments my beard.

PostPosted: Wed 09 Mar, 2016 11:51 am 
5000RPM

Drives:
I get a similar feeling listening to AM radio.

PostPosted: Wed 09 Mar, 2016 11:59 pm 
GTiR wannabe

Drives:
I have a USB made from Vinyl.

Sounds better than tunes from a normal USB.