ANZAC 2015 Thoughts

General and casual chat about anything.
spitex
GTiR wannabe
Drives: FPV F6

ANZAC 2015 Thoughts

Post by spitex » Sat 25 Apr, 2015 8:40 am

To my (ex)servicemen/women friends,

Today is the day I tip my hat in thanks to you all for granting us the freedoms in life that we enjoy. It makes me REALLY proud to see how much Australia embraces ANZAC day and that it seems to be an age old tradition that is getting stronger and stronger.

Being an immigrant myself, my family members have served in various WW's for other countries and having nearly lost my grandfather this week to old age etc it is a reminder of how much people put on the line. In his old age and alzheimer's some of his few memories left are serving in WW2 (not the bad stuff, but the world travel) and it's a shining light for him.

We are who we are today due to the people that have served their countries (and our allies). To those of you I know personally, and to all those who stood and fell beside them - for me, thank you.

lest we forget.

wrx
Self appointed rAU God
Drives: the bus to hell

Re: ANZAC 2015 Thoughts

Post by wrx » Sat 25 Apr, 2015 10:17 am

100%
ImageImageImageImage

Circuit PB's: | Sprint = 52.9 | Clubman = 56.0 | National = 1:15.3| Sportsman = 53.7| Lakeside = 54.8

iano
glass always half empty
Drives: by my own accord

Post by iano » Sat 25 Apr, 2015 11:08 am

100% but can I just say the media sure have beat the whole occasion up, as I knew they would.

Quiet, deep, heartfelt respect not one reenactment after another which we all know is simply a TV rating cash grab.
This isn't life, it's just stuff. And it's become more important to you than living. Well, honey, that's just nuts

Eu-GenixX
5000RPM
Drives: CJ Lancer VR

Post by Eu-GenixX » Sat 25 Apr, 2015 1:57 pm

I'm sorry Ian I don't understand your post. Are you having a go at media?

Well said Ryan. 100% agree.

iano
glass always half empty

Post by iano » Sat 25 Apr, 2015 2:08 pm

Yes.

And if I try and back up my argument I'm only going to come across as an asshole being insensitive.

I am not for a moment trying to detract the 100 year anniversary not its significance but seriously networks 2/7/9/10 - why such a shebang. Majorly majorly overdone.

Every other year which holds JUST as much relevance as 2015 gets about 1/50th the coverage, I find this pathetic.
This isn't life, it's just stuff. And it's become more important to you than living. Well, honey, that's just nuts

gtirboy
1000RPM
Drives: MY00 Subaru Outback

Post by gtirboy » Sat 25 Apr, 2015 6:18 pm

spitex wrote:To my (ex)servicemen/women friends,

Today is the day I tip my hat in thanks to you all for granting us the freedoms in life that we enjoy. It makes me REALLY proud to see how much Australia embraces ANZAC day and that it seems to be an age old tradition that is getting stronger and stronger.

Being an immigrant myself, my family members have served in various WW's for other countries and having nearly lost my grandfather this week to old age etc it is a reminder of how much people put on the line. In his old age and alzheimer's some of his few memories left are serving in WW2 (not the bad stuff, but the world travel) and it's a shining light for him.

We are who we are today due to the people that have served their countries (and our allies). To those of you I know personally, and to all those who stood and fell beside them - for me, thank you.

lest we forget.
Well said Ryan.
Todd

cGr
Intuition

Post by cGr » Sat 25 Apr, 2015 7:06 pm

+1 Ryan. The kiwi PM made mention in his speech at Gallipoli of not saying 'Lest we forget', instead saying 'We remember'. Whilst I think the former is more pointed for Anzac Day, the latter was an interesting thought and echos your comments about the tradition getting stronger.

A couple of pics from the dawn service.
IMG_2496.2.bw.es.jpg
IMG_2496.2.bw.es.jpg (512.21 KiB) Viewed 5506 times
IMG_2505.es.jpg
IMG_2505.es.jpg (349.03 KiB) Viewed 5506 times

wrx
Self appointed rAU God
Drives: the bus to hell

Post by wrx » Sun 26 Apr, 2015 8:03 am

I know that more than likely this was a fishing expedition in the attempt to get a rise out of the group and therefore the smart thing is to shut up and skim over it .... but I feel very strongly about ANZAC day and I am going to bite. Hook; line and sinker!

Ian. Firstly, I have been going to a dawn service since I was very very young, even the 5 when I was in London. I go to pay my respects to my grandfather and my great grandfather (who I never met) and my mates that have served this country better than I could ever have. I don't need to see it on TV or hear about it, I go for my reasons. I "think" this is where you are coming from, and if so I can understand, but it is a very limited view.

Let me explain why I think it is limited: I have a 7 & 8 year old boys, they have never known anyone from the age that served in either of the WW's and have never been interested or even understood the concept of sacrifice or ANZAC. This year though being 100 years, their school got behind it and they came home on Friday talking about Turkey, Gallipoli, the mistakes made with the landing and the tragic deaths. They asked questions about war, why it is done, and why our country is the way it is. They asked about why I get up at 2:45 every year and where do I go. When I got home yesterday they had the TV on watching the telecast intently and enjoying the "shebang" for what it was - a great presentation of the sacrifice the people better and stronger than you and I did to make this country what it is.

The 100th anniversary has acted as a catalyst to get the next generation involved and start their understanding of who we are and where we came from. Kids these days learn so much from computers, ipads and the TV. Because of seeing the TV yesterday and what it is all about and the way it was portrayed, my eldest asked if he would come to the dawn service next year with me - I can not explain how this made me feel - somewhere between incredibly sad to incredibly happy to incredibly proud.

If you want to bag the media, I think you should be hitting them for the last 99 year's poor performance and not giving enough coverage or shebang to something the defiantly deserves it. They might have got some extra ratings out of it... but I know they got at least one more Australian into the ANZAC spirit and that makes it worth it!

End the point of view of a father. Really don't want to get into a fight about it... but needed to write something.

Steve
ImageImageImageImage

Circuit PB's: | Sprint = 52.9 | Clubman = 56.0 | National = 1:15.3| Sportsman = 53.7| Lakeside = 54.8

iano
glass always half empty

Post by iano » Sun 26 Apr, 2015 9:13 am

Fully support your point of view Steve. The last paragraph where you explain bagging the media is exactly what I was trying to get at. However you also added getting more onboard which I also agree with.

SecaBoy
Mr Indecisive

Post by SecaBoy » Mon 27 Apr, 2015 7:33 am

its a bit late, but here are my thoughts.

i was never one to get up at the crack of dawn and drag my lazy ass outta bed for the dawn service. thats not to say that i dont remember/appreciate the service and sacrifice of those people in the defence force (past and present), it just never meant all that much to me to warrant getting outta bed that early (yes, i know, selfish, think of their sacrifice compared to getting outta bed, etc., etc.).

anyway, this year was my first one and it was really quite moving to hear the stories and see the MASSIVE turnout. i was impressed at how many people turned up. we only went to the one at springfield lakes, but it was still a massive turnout.
the only thing was that it was so poorly organised and run it kinda of detracted from the day. :(

i'll be going back every year for dawn service from now on. its definitely changed my mind and opened my eyes. :)
yet another thing that i've learnt from my wife who goes to dawn service every year since a child. :)
1991 Toyota Corolla Seca ==> SOLD
2001 Subaru Impreza WRX ==> SOLD
2006 Honda Accord Euro Luxury ==> SOLD
1990 Nissan Silvia RB20DET ==> SOLD
2008 Toyota TRD Aurion 3500SL ==> SOLD
2010 Ford Falcon XR6T ==> SOLD
:cry
2016 VW Polo 81TSI DSG

dan
argument inc
Drives: German's mum........

Post by dan » Mon 27 Apr, 2015 9:38 am

seeings as we are all chipping in with our 2c....... i am happy that anzac day has taken on more prominence in the national psyche, but i think we need to be careful to remember what it is, and what it isn't. for me it has always been about remembering those that have given their life for our country, and quietly celebrating their courage and mateship. over the last few years this seems to have extended to the current serving defence force members, and is taking on an element of soldier worship. whilst i have a great deal of respect for those that are serving, i don't think glorifying them is needed or wanted.
camo means mogg, and mogg means business

dorift
I love lamp
Drives: Toyota Hilux Diablo

Post by dorift » Mon 27 Apr, 2015 3:36 pm

It's a shame to hear that the robelle service was poor. Given that I was on holidays, I missed it, and am disappointed since the last few years I've thought it was done very well.
89 Corolla SX
90 Pulsar GTiR
95 Barina GSi
98 200sx
04 Forester XT
99 Hilux ute (woohoo!)

SecaBoy
Mr Indecisive

Post by SecaBoy » Mon 27 Apr, 2015 3:41 pm

i dont know who usually does it, but USQ did it this year and there were technical difficulties, poor timings, program was like a 2yr slapped it together last minute and printed it out, and just other random stuff that made me question the IQ of the organisers.

i'm far from a professional event organiser, but i have organised a few festivals/conferences/etc and some of the things that went wrong just made me sigh.
1991 Toyota Corolla Seca ==> SOLD
2001 Subaru Impreza WRX ==> SOLD
2006 Honda Accord Euro Luxury ==> SOLD
1990 Nissan Silvia RB20DET ==> SOLD
2008 Toyota TRD Aurion 3500SL ==> SOLD
2010 Ford Falcon XR6T ==> SOLD
:cry
2016 VW Polo 81TSI DSG

iano
glass always half empty

Post by iano » Mon 27 Apr, 2015 5:18 pm

I marched for the 2/10th Field Regiment a number of years back in the Brisbane CBD and that wasn't organized either. We weren't even sure whereabouts in the parade order the group was supposed to be, but that didn't matter.

One of my fondest memories of Anzac Day and also honoring my grandfather who was a major general whom ended up being a POW on the Changi railway. A few diggers from the camp were still alive at that point. One had his waking stick and was determined to make it down Adelaide St - after a massive swig from his Royal Selangor hip flask! He made it down Adelaide at a cracking pace but no further....they had to call an Ambulance for the fella. Never found out if he was okay but I'm sure if that was his last March he'd have been happier than a pig in shit.