ABS

Performance, Aesthetic or Audio ... post in here!
German
plays the skin flute
Drives: Ms Piggy.. Dans GF

ABS

Post by German » Sat 04 Dec, 2010 12:24 pm

To anyone with experience in this area, here is my question/comment/whatever you call it.

As you know I have a new yaris, which is a great little car. The only thing I'm annoyed about is the ABS and how strange it feels.

Doesn't matter whether I'm stationery or moving, when I put my foot on the brake the pedal sinks in after i've applied the pressure I need for the car to slow down or stop. It doesn't sink a couple of mm's, it sinks a good couple cm's to inches.

It doesn't happen every single time I hit the brakes, but enough to cause concern. I've had two services with oldmac in springwood, both times they've said nothing is wrong and ABS should do that.

I'm going to try and head back on the 24th and see if I can speak with their QA person and do a walk-a-round of the car.

Bit confused, anyone able to shed some light on this? Does the ABS do on all cars do this, or even to this level?
Last edited by German on Sat 04 Dec, 2010 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dan wrote:i suck- please carry on! :)

cGr
Intuition

Re: ABS

Post by cGr » Sat 04 Dec, 2010 1:19 pm

German wrote:Does the ABS on cars do this, or even to this level?
No, and definitely no.

The only time you should be able to feel anything back through the pedal from a car with ABS is when the ABS is activating and the brake pedal shudders. The rest of the time the brake pedal should feel like a normal brake pedal (and NOT sink to the floor when you put your foot on it!).

Sounds like the brake lines need a good bleed. It definitely isnt right though, and dont leave it until its too late (when you need it to stop!) to get it fixed.

blv
Permantly Unavailable
Drives: MTB
Location: deep in the mists of boost, far beyond the thick cloud of tyre smoke

Re: ABS

Post by blv » Sat 04 Dec, 2010 2:20 pm

cGr wrote:
German wrote:Does the ABS on cars do this, or even to this level?
No, and definitely no.

The only time you should be able to feel anything back through the pedal from a car with ABS is when the ABS is activating and the brake pedal shudders. The rest of the time the brake pedal should feel like a normal brake pedal (and NOT sink to the floor when you put your foot on it!).

Sounds like the brake lines need a good bleed. It definitely isnt right though, and dont leave it until its too late (when you need it to stop!) to get it fixed.
Agreed with cam.

If your brake pedal sinks a few cm's, it should do this everytime for it to be deemed as 'normal'. If its intermitant (sp?), I would think there is a problem. Sounds like a good bleed is what it needs. (hey that rhymed :P)
I just don't know if people like me. I know when they don't like me 'cause they'll say things like, 'Yeah, that's him, officer.'

German
plays the skin flute
Drives: Ms Piggy.. Dans GF

Post by German » Sat 04 Dec, 2010 2:38 pm

The moment it sinks the most is when im going down hill and put foot on brake, then sinks so much it's a tad scary.

I'll be contacting my mate who works at oldmac capalaba and see if I can make a booking there, just to make sure someone else can have a look and not the same people all the time.

As you said cam, I was only aware that ABS kicks in when the pedal shudders.

Cheers
dan wrote:i suck- please carry on! :)