redlineAU.com Search Search - FAQ

Messages Login

It is currently Fri 24 Nov, 2017 2:38 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Robot vacuum
PostPosted: Fri 25 Sep, 2015 10:35 am 
glass always half empty

Drives: by my own accord
Worth a shot if anyone has one they don't want anymore?

They're pretty fkn expensive new -$200ish for something decent. Want to spend half the ideally.

Fed up sweeping our vinyl floors picking up food particles left by the kids, would rather have this do it for me.

Post subject: Re: Robot vacuum
PostPosted: Fri 25 Sep, 2015 12:03 pm 
Mr Indecisive

from what i've seen of them, they're pretty rubbish.

1990 Nissan Silvia RB20DET ==> SOLD
2008 Toyota TRD Aurion 3500SL ==> SOLD
2010 Ford Falcon XR6T ==> SOLD
:cry
2016 VW Polo 81TSI DSG

PostPosted: Fri 25 Sep, 2015 12:51 pm 
I love lamp

Drives: Toyota Hilux Diablo
Last time I saw Todd (a long time ago embarrassingly) he had one.
My aunty has one and it's shit.

98 200sx
04 Forester XT
99 Hilux ute (woohoo!)

PostPosted: Fri 25 Sep, 2015 6:51 pm 
5000RPM

Drives: CJ Lancer VR
They make sweeping a novelty.

I feel your pain with vinyl floors tho mate.

PostPosted: Fri 25 Sep, 2015 10:58 pm 
1000RPM

Drives: MY00 Subaru Outback
dorift wrote:
Last time I saw Todd (a long time ago embarrassingly) he had one.
My aunty has one and it's shit.

G is right we had/have one and it HAS been along time, because we have most of the house tiled with only the bedrooms carpeted. Great novelty however we spent more time getting bits that were missed and or repairing it from it hitting things or just self destructing. It was an expensive one too.

So how did we overcome this, well we were sick of sweeping and picking up scraps/crumbs/cat and dog hair etc as well. We invested in a Dyson cordless vacuum cleaner. It works for everything except wet spot/accidents. Nearly 12 months on, it hasn't missed a beat and it still has full battery life through it self controlled battery cycling. It runs for 20-25 mins as stated in it documentation still.

Both Kates and my parents have bought one each since trying ours, one has vinyl floors and the other has carpet and tiles.

Iano it was a little more than $200.

my 2c

PostPosted: Fri 25 Sep, 2015 11:29 pm 
I love lamp

Funny you should say that. We went for one, but couldn't justify Dyson price (we have their full size vacuum)

We still get lazy, but it's great overall. Runs for around 15 mins.

Good for quick clean ups. Gets used fuck loads more than full size Dyson

98 200sx
04 Forester XT
99 Hilux ute (woohoo!)

PostPosted: Fri 25 Sep, 2015 11:35 pm 
I love lamp

Btw I paid about 280. Not sure what model Dyson Todd got, as they were all closer to 400 when I was shopping. I now know four couples with this model

98 200sx
04 Forester XT
99 Hilux ute (woohoo!)

PostPosted: Sat 26 Sep, 2015 7:13 am 
1000RPM

We have a Roomba thingo, got it as a gift. I will start by saying that I hardly use it. But the facts:

Pro
- It works well as a vacuum. I vacuum the house once or twice weekly depending on the weather (we have a very open house, timber floors) with a Dyson floor/cyclone/soopersucker/whatever marketing vacuum. I can use the Roomba 2 minutes after I vacuum, and it will still have the catcher full before it runs out of charge. It works well because it can get under furniture and pick up all the bits I don't get to.
- It is gentle enough on furniture/walls as the sensor does pick things up and slow it right down.

Cons (and the reason I hardly use it)
- I have to clean up before starting it. By that I mean, shut the doors where I don't want it to go else it will be vacuuming my lawn in no time. Keep it away from rooms with lots of little bits of lego lying about, or papers etc. Or clean up. I do have those virtual wall things but have never bothered to use them
- I have to move furniture that it can't fit through, like the dining chairs
- It is really noisy, just like a vacuum. So while it is doing its thing, I lock myself outside so that I don't have to hear it. I figure if I have to hear it, I can't be watching TV or listening to music so I may as well just vacuum myself
- Sometimes I let it loose and then go out, but then it gets itself a bit lost or stuck. So it shuts down and waits for help. I come home to find a forlorn looking roomba that has cried itself quiet. Happily though, it gets back to the task of noisy vacuuming as soon as I free it.
- Its cleaning algorithm was designed to mimic someone with short term memory loss and multiple personalities. For the life of me, I can't work out how the way it moves around the room is efficient.

I would not use it daily, I use it to supplement for a really good clean. Sometimes I think the top end model with the mobile phone controller would be good as I could just target its use. It works well as it can get under furniture, and the rotating brush on the outside of it does agitate the dust and get it quickly sucked up so I think that is why it seems to suck up a lot more than the Dyson. Its super expensive for what it is, but I have not tried a cheaper one to know if they work as well. I would not have bought one, but happy enough to use it occasionally now that we have it.

Extra: It is good for people we know who have pets. It does seem to pick up pet hair well, without harming the pet. In fact, we know of one cat who sits on the roomba as it moves around the room.

PostPosted: Sat 26 Sep, 2015 9:53 am 
glass always half empty

Drives: by my own accord
Yeah fuck it....the crowd has spoken imo

$200 buys a lot of bags, I'll stick with the usual method. At least with a Miele vacuum you just can't kill them with a stick. Mine is 8 years old and she goes and goes and goes.

I'm still not sold on bagless models, a guy at Godfreys told me that bags offer a better clean hands down, along with far better filtration. I had no reason to believe he was lying either, was doing the hard sell on a top of the range cyclonic hoojar whatsit - that was over $2000.

Post subject: Robot vacuum
PostPosted: Sat 26 Sep, 2015 7:19 pm 
Permantly Unavailable

Location: deep in the mists of boost, far beyond the thick cloud of tyre smoke
Drives: MTB
I have the Dyson DC59 animal...

... I threw my other vacuum cleaner out.

PostPosted: Mon 28 Sep, 2015 9:28 am 
argument inc

Drives: German's mum........
yeah good vacum cleaners are worth the money. i have a henry which is bloody good. the best bit is because it has a cute smiley face on it the missus loves it so she is happy to do the vacuming. it's basically like a very expensive, talkative roomba.