Any New People?!

General and casual chat about anything.
iano
glass always half empty
Drives: by my own accord

Re: Any New People?!

Post by iano » Tue 22 Jan, 2013 6:11 pm

I'm seeing a lot more 86s on roads lately. And they look real cheap if you ask me :(

Am sure they drive pretty nice for the cash, but I wouldn't wanna own one.
This isn't life, it's just stuff. And it's become more important to you than living. Well, honey, that's just nuts

dorift
I love lamp
Drives: Toyota Hilux Diablo

Post by dorift » Tue 22 Jan, 2013 6:35 pm

I'm actually going to agree with that.
They do look a little on the cheap side.

I particularly HATE the tail lights. Anyway, that's by the by.

I just don't think I could wait that long for just about anything.
89 Corolla SX
90 Pulsar GTiR
95 Barina GSi
98 200sx
04 Forester XT
99 Hilux ute (woohoo!)

dan
argument inc
Drives: German's mum........

Post by dan » Tue 22 Jan, 2013 8:33 pm

haters gonna hate. for the money they are a fucking amazing car.
camo means mogg, and mogg means business

dorift
I love lamp
Drives: Toyota Hilux Diablo

Post by dorift » Tue 22 Jan, 2013 9:37 pm

Didn't say they weren't :)
89 Corolla SX
90 Pulsar GTiR
95 Barina GSi
98 200sx
04 Forester XT
99 Hilux ute (woohoo!)

tri_ll_ion
Idling
Drives: a pair of shoes

Post by tri_ll_ion » Mon 08 Jul, 2013 11:35 pm

are you on the hunt for a new car iano? can't sell your Honda?

as if you wouldn't jump at the chance for an 86 if you could, denial.

iano
glass always half empty

Post by iano » Tue 09 Jul, 2013 9:02 am

Something moar practical. Pajero VRX or an earlier model Exceed will probably be our next car.
This isn't life, it's just stuff. And it's become more important to you than living. Well, honey, that's just nuts

blv
Permantly Unavailable
Drives: MTB
Location: deep in the mists of boost, far beyond the thick cloud of tyre smoke

Post by blv » Tue 09 Jul, 2013 12:29 pm

Challenger are a good option too ian
I just don't know if people like me. I know when they don't like me 'cause they'll say things like, 'Yeah, that's him, officer.'

iano
glass always half empty

Post by iano » Tue 09 Jul, 2013 1:00 pm

So I've heard - their 4x4 credentials are excellent. Shame they're so darn ugly. I've never really liked the look of the Triton utes, which is what 90% of a challenger is, right down to the interior.

blv
Permantly Unavailable

Post by blv » Thu 11 Jul, 2013 4:12 pm

I take it you haven't seen the 2013 challenger then?
I just don't know if people like me. I know when they don't like me 'cause they'll say things like, 'Yeah, that's him, officer.'

iano
glass always half empty

Post by iano » Thu 11 Jul, 2013 6:57 pm

Growing on me I must admit. Work colleague used to have a 2010 XLS or whatever the top of the range was. Interior was nice, sumptuous even, she ticked every option. Sat nav, premium sound system, tan leather etc. Had no idea they're so tough off road, but still thought it was very butch looking. New ones look a lot more sleek, almost a hint of Toyota Klugga. HUGE boot space too, hectares more than a padge. I also wouldn't take one under a multi storey carpark, thing'd hardly fit...

blv
Permantly Unavailable

Post by blv » Thu 11 Jul, 2013 8:20 pm

A challenger not fit in an undercover carpark? A GU patrol with 35's (instant 2" higher than stock) and a 2" suspension lift still fit in 2m carparks, so trust me, a challenger would fit fuckin easy. Put it this way, a challenger is smaller than a pajero, so if you think a pajero would fit, a challenger will with ease.

dan
argument inc

Post by dan » Thu 11 Jul, 2013 8:48 pm

challenger 4x4 dual cab utes are $28k driveaway at the moment, so that could be an option

blv
Permantly Unavailable

Post by blv » Thu 11 Jul, 2013 9:26 pm

Challengers are the wagon version of the triton ute. Same as navara / pathfinder.

The new outlander is also another option, and they have had a facelift which will probably pass on the styling to the next challenger. Outlander is smaller again though.

Eu-GenixX
5000RPM
Drives: CJ Lancer VR

Post by Eu-GenixX » Fri 12 Jul, 2013 3:42 am

I don't mind the Outlander... altho I think I prefer the previous styling...

iano
glass always half empty

Post by iano » Fri 12 Jul, 2013 7:33 am

Outlanders seem too expensive for what you get compared to a challenger

dan
argument inc

Post by dan » Fri 12 Jul, 2013 9:55 am

blv wrote:Challengers are the wagon version of the triton ute. Same as navara / pathfinder.

The new outlander is also another option, and they have had a facelift which will probably pass on the styling to the next challenger. Outlander is smaller again though.
sorry mate, you're right - i meant to say triton 4x4 dual cab utes are $28k driveaway. pretty good buying!! i was pretty close to buying one...... until i did the sums and realised i'd (inevitably) get badly smashed when i sold my 1yo focus.

daBOODA
Mr. Diplomacy
Drives: sda0

Post by daBOODA » Fri 12 Jul, 2013 10:17 am

I've been thinking about getting a diesel 4x4 once our loan is paid off.

Are diesels cheaper to run than petrol? Or is it that they are better at off roading? If they are cheaper to run why aren't more people buying them? Every taxi in Europe seems to be a diesel so it seems that the mileage is better
"The argument doesn't work with me. Go back to your cracker jack lifestyle and I'll meet you at the evolutionary bell curve ... I'll be sitting there a while, it's kind of a tortoise and the hare story." - Bill Hicks

blv
Permantly Unavailable

Post by blv » Fri 12 Jul, 2013 10:28 am

Yeah those tritons are cheap.

Boods, the diesels are a lot cheaper to run. Our work triton 2wd 2.5 diesel gets 8.5l/100 around town. And it's not usually driven softly (off boost it has no power)

iano
glass always half empty

Post by iano » Fri 12 Jul, 2013 10:30 am

Boods: Both cheaper and a shit ton more low down torque for 4x4

Ted
1000RPM

Post by Ted » Fri 12 Jul, 2013 11:07 am

We have Challengers, Tritons, Patrols (3L), BT50 at work. If I had to choose which one to drive, I always pick the BT50 first, then the Challenger second, then Patrol, then Triton. My choice is based purely on comfort. The Challenger is quite agricultural and I would not buy one as a family car, there has to be better options out there. While they share a fair bit with the Triton (engine, chassis, running gear), their coil sprung rear end makes it way more comfortable on the road compared to the leaf rear of the Tritons. But the Challenger is also taller geared which makes it always feel doughy compared to the Triton. But the Challenger does give you RWD, AWD and 4WD which is a pretty nice gimmick.

In terms of economy, we do about 100km a day driving from the office to the farm, training, and then back. The Challengers would avg say 11.5L/100km. At 90km/h, they are pretty magic on fuel, and even at 100km/h (about 9.5L/100). But at 110 its up into the 11s and 12s. Resale on a Challenger is also shocking compared to the Triton.

In terms of buying a diesel in Oz, its fairly OK if its a light vehicle (commercial) style. Car based ones need to be driven longer, which we don't do much of here. So potentially, we get the situation where a direct injection common rail diesel just starts to break down. The regeneration process will only occur at higher speeds and temps, something our roads don't really allow us to do. Our diesel fuel is also expensive, hard to get at in servos and we seldom get the really good stuff that they do in EU. Another thing is that other than trucks, we don't use Adblue which is common place for EU spec cars.
Motorsport is a disease, where the only cure is poverty.