So lets see what this is all about then.....

For chat about everything, from the world of gadgets, to improving your home theatre setup.

Moderators: DreamensioN, Splash

DreamensioN
4000RPM
Drives: Golf R

So lets see what this is all about then.....

Post by DreamensioN » Fri 11 Mar, 2016 5:47 pm

Yeah yeah.....I know. No need to say it. :P
12828928_10153537907973691_4729548451452169103_o.jpg
12828928_10153537907973691_4729548451452169103_o.jpg (333 KiB) Viewed 7576 times

Splash
pants
Drives: with eyes closed

Re: So lets see what this is all about then.....

Post by Splash » Fri 11 Mar, 2016 6:54 pm

pr0n

Latest survey shows that 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the world's population

unwritten law
MILF Hunter!

Post by unwritten law » Fri 11 Mar, 2016 7:56 pm

Want
GRY32
GRYXXXII

dorift
I love lamp
Drives: Toyota Hilux Diablo

Post by dorift » Fri 11 Mar, 2016 10:09 pm

I have to say it...
Welcome to better.

Soon you'll go even higher and get an iPhone.
89 Corolla SX
90 Pulsar GTiR
95 Barina GSi
98 200sx
04 Forester XT
99 Hilux ute (woohoo!)

cGr
Intuition

Post by cGr » Sat 12 Mar, 2016 1:01 pm

I tried all 3 back to back over a few weeks once and found Winmo to be just too weird to use and with an App Store full of junk and malware, android to be simultaneously awesome (extra keys for back, etc and great range of apps) and for the same reasons frustrating (keys don't behave the same way in all apps, AppStore full of malware) and eventually came back to iPhone for sheer simplicity and security. I think it's what you get used to.

VR headset looks awesome though...

Eu-GenixX
5000RPM
Drives: CJ Lancer VR

Post by Eu-GenixX » Sat 12 Mar, 2016 2:24 pm

The only thing that annoyed me with Winmo was lack of apps. I miss it. I'm not a power user but the iPhone just doesn't do it for me. Battery last me two days. Thats how little I use it. My old Winmo was about 2 1/2 days.

DreamensioN
4000RPM

Post by DreamensioN » Sat 12 Mar, 2016 8:50 pm

What made me jump was a culmination of several things.
1. The app gap wasn't getting any better. Sure there are "substitute" apps, but they were never as good as the application they were intended to substitute. The official apps (like Instagram), weren't kept up to date. App updates were also few and far between.
2. The lack of support from 3rd party devices. My bicycle computer talks to iPhone/Android via Bluetooth so it can display incoming calls, text messages etc while I'm riding (and the phone is in my back jersey pocket). It couldn't even see Windows Phone.
3. I've been running Windows Phone 10 on my Lumia 930, but in terms of capability that is new in Win10 Phone - it's falling by the wayside. The phone is 2yrs old now, the Lumia 950 is where all the functionality is. And I don't think that "Windows Phone 10" will really come into its own until the "Surface Phone" is released. That's too far off in the future for me to deal with Win10 (as it is on the phone) any longer.
4. I was on the "fast ring" for Win10 updates on the phone - and while I was getting regular updates and OS builds (like I am on the Surface Pro 3), there are annoyances and bugs I just couldn't live with. And these bugs are just ongoing (such as music not remembering where you were, app crashes and reboots etc). Yep, I know I'm dealing with "beta" software, but I've gone too far down the Win10 road to roll back to a previous version. I was too used to the new functions, but couldn't move past the current issues.

With all the rave reviews of the S7, and me finally having enough of being a Windows Phone "endurist", as oppose to an "enthusiast"; I felt it was time to move on, at least for a while.

However, coming to the Android/Touchwiz interface - I find I'm having to look at Android user tutorials etc. This is very VERY different to what I'm used to, and I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing when I'm using the phone. It's just a learning curve until I know where things are and how to use the phone optimally.

But the hardware is sexy, the screen is so nice to look at, it's very nice to hold (though I can sense it would be easy to drop). I won't say I'm a fanboi just yet (as I'm still getting used to it), but I do feel as though I've finally joined mainstream mobility, and I'm not hanging out in the backwaters.

dan
argument inc
Drives: German's mum........

Post by dan » Sun 13 Mar, 2016 10:46 am

wow, just wait until you walk into an apple store... it'll be like those uncontacted amazonian tribes seeing matches for the first time!!
camo means mogg, and mogg means business

dorift
I love lamp

Post by dorift » Sun 13 Mar, 2016 8:50 pm

cGr wrote:I tried all 3 back to back over a few weeks once and found Winmo to be just too weird to use and with an App Store full of junk and malware, android to be simultaneously awesome (extra keys for back, etc and great range of apps) and for the same reasons frustrating (keys don't behave the same way in all apps, AppStore full of malware) and eventually came back to iPhone for sheer simplicity and security. I think it's what you get used to.

VR headset looks awesome though...
Extra keys is a strange complaint, and malware I think is user stupidity. No different to using a Pc and having some common sense regarding what you install

I really liked iPhone, and without the cost I'd be back again. But there really are some incredible android offerings.
89 Corolla SX
90 Pulsar GTiR
95 Barina GSi
98 200sx
04 Forester XT
99 Hilux ute (woohoo!)

cGr
Intuition

Post by cGr » Sun 13 Mar, 2016 9:47 pm

Its not the extra keys, its how they are controlled. I cant remember specifics, but its things like going back a page in one app, vs going back to the main page in another app.

I disagree on the malware, lets start at the top.

The following graph is the calculated proportion of devices running vulnerable versions of Android. This isn't apps exactly, this is the level of security of the device as delivered by the manufacturer (but may include skins, features, etc).
norm_versionsecurity.png
norm_versionsecurity.png (35.42 KiB) Viewed 7527 times
The full article is here: http://androidvulnerabilities.org/

FTR, Nexus scored 5.76 out of 10, and Samsung scored 2.8.

I think the graph above is exacerbated by the need to wait for your manufacturer to release an Android update, as opposed to when Google releases the code. Android devices just don't get the update push which Apple ride their users to do, so they are left with a lot of old software still running.

Out of the box, a lot of Android deployments are vulnerable to attacks like those where an MMS will trigger retrieval of contact information and messages to be automatically sent to those contacts.

No biggie, a bit of embarrassment maybe and that's about it.

But then there's attacks which allow modification of legitimate apps to include malicious data. This is where the grey area comes in because I could potentially live with a bit of embarrassment, but I couldn't live with my banking details being exploited through a maybe/maybe not kind of application. A friend has a (an?) HTC and he's been prompted by legitimate apps to access more information than is necessary so he just kills it. I like that Android trades on feature sets, but there is a fine line as to what is/isn't secure (either now or later on).

That's not to say that iPhone is 100% secure either, but apple have better controls in place upfront (only 1 app store for starters) but seem to handle vulnerabilities better as well.

dan
argument inc

Post by dan » Mon 14 Mar, 2016 7:42 am

i like the android app that stole your netbank login and was even smart enough to capture 2 factor authentication texts. that'd be a good one to get. i wonder if you'd still be covered by insurance? i know your insurance covers you if somebody steals your card and runs up a big bill at amazon or with paywave, i'm not so sure if you're covered if someone steals your netbank login? that'd suck.

dorift
I love lamp

Post by dorift » Mon 14 Mar, 2016 8:57 am

I had my netbank login stolen (non phone related) and subsequently $1200 pinched a few years ago. Bank gave it back with no drama. Thankfully.

Fair point Cameron, I was more focusing on the actual apps, not overall security of the OS
89 Corolla SX
90 Pulsar GTiR
95 Barina GSi
98 200sx
04 Forester XT
99 Hilux ute (woohoo!)

cGr
Intuition

Post by cGr » Mon 14 Mar, 2016 7:04 pm

Multi factor auth is nowhere near as popular as it should be. I agree that banks will do the right thing and return your $$$'s, but its still a nuisance, and it would be harder if it were something like a paypal or ebay exploit.

That all said, I like what Samsung is doing, competition is good, and if anything I think Samsung/Android will overtake Apple/iPhone at the rate that Tim Cook is running it into the ground (really just a lack of innovation).

unwritten law
MILF Hunter!

Post by unwritten law » Mon 14 Mar, 2016 7:30 pm

http://m.smh.com.au/technology/consumer ... nf528.html
The infected Flash Player application does not come from Android's official Google Play app store, instead phone users are tricked into installing via infected websites or bogus messages. To become infected Android owners must override the default security option and accept apps from unknown sources. 
Similar to leaving your keys in your car with your windows down at loganlea train station.
GRY32
GRYXXXII

unwritten law
MILF Hunter!

Post by unwritten law » Mon 14 Mar, 2016 7:37 pm

DreamensioN wrote:But the hardware is sexy, the screen is so nice to look at, it's very nice to hold (though I can sense it would be easy to drop).
They do make a nice screen and never had one crack on me in 6 years. (Touch wood) I could imagine the edge being a weak point and not surviving a big fall tho.
GRY32
GRYXXXII

dorift
I love lamp

Post by dorift » Mon 14 Mar, 2016 9:01 pm

On that note, I love that 99% of iPhones continue to work with a cracked or shattered screen.
I've broken my oneplus screen twice, and it renders it unusable. Halz also cracked her Xperia and it was fucked as well, from the slightest of cracks.
If I was signing up for a phone right now I'd struggle to choose between the Huawei nexus and the s7.

And +1 on overriding external apps... I'll bet nearly all issues arise from that. I do it, prob only a matter of time till I have an issue lol
89 Corolla SX
90 Pulsar GTiR
95 Barina GSi
98 200sx
04 Forester XT
99 Hilux ute (woohoo!)

dan
argument inc

Post by dan » Mon 14 Mar, 2016 9:45 pm

cGr wrote:if anything I think Samsung/Android will overtake Apple/iPhone at the rate that Tim Cook is running it into the ground (really just a lack of innovation).
hardware wise perhaps (but it'll still feel cheap), but not software. and the iphone is 18 months old.... the same thing happens every 2yrs or so.

DreamensioN
4000RPM

Post by DreamensioN » Tue 15 Mar, 2016 5:56 pm

Ok so the Gear VR is pretty damn cool. I've just lost the rest of my night.